1983 Ferrari 400i automatic...on fire! | FerrariChat

1983 Ferrari 400i automatic...on fire!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JAS12, Nov 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    #1 JAS12, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A friend of mine is looking to buy this 1983 Ferrari 400i automatic project. He has owned Ferrari's before and wants a pre-87 400 or Mondial (likes the 2+2). It does not run. The Bosch K-fuel injection is missing on one side?? The interior is in good condition (miraculously not affected by the fire) but that is about it. It appears that the car was parked next to something that caught fire and suffered collateral damage. The car did at one time run and drive well. Apparently it was originally an east coast car, shipped out west and lived most of its live there. I do not know much about 400i's so I am of no use to him. I assume the car has a salvage title as well.

Any input (short of "run Forrest run") with regards to what it's worth would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
  3. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    He looked at the BAT Black 400 but for $25k he rather take a shot with...

1985 Ferrari 400i | Beverly Hills Car Club

as that car "appears" to be complete and a better foundation to work with. Pretty sure they would sell it for $20-$25k.

Not knowing the value of "project" 400i cars we thought reaching out to the 400i community would be the best way to gauge an option on what you all felt it was worth.

Thanks

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I am far from an authoritative voice on this subject... but ultimately, the price on pretty much anything comes down to what someone is willing to let go of something, and how much someone else is willing to cough up.

Look at what appears to have been a steal just a year ago at the Chicago Mecum auction:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1015-223996/

It sold for $23K - it was complete & running!!!

The difference between a Mondial and a 400 series is that a Mondial has always been the base entry model Ferrari offered for each year it was sold. You buy one now/fix/restore and it will still be the least expensive model offered when new.

Depends on who you ask, however, the 400 series even topped the prices of the 512 BB when new. You buy one now/fix/restore and it will likely be the only one 85% of the people who see it have ever come across given it was never officially imported to the US.

The one at BHCC has been for sale forever and sure they'll give you the car if you so much as glance at it twice in front of them - it was discussed in this forum previously here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/522995-1985-ferrari-400i-sale-beverly-hills-car-club.html

Keep us posted with your friend's determination and perhaps begin a new thread if he chooses to pull the trigger. The parts to restore the Sparky one above will be incredibly pricey (as they can be hard to source).

5. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    Honestly I think he is looked to offer under $10,000 even thought they were asking around $20,000. Not sure of the situation but I guess it is pretty complicated due to insurance coverage, owners buy back option, etc. He is looking to work on a European project car with his son so why not a Ferrari? I cannot disagree but it all comes down to price and what it is worth. I would agree that in the end the 400 has a better chance of appreciation so maybe his time and effort and money is better spent on a 400 vs a Mondial.

He just doesn't want to overpay for this (or any other car) hence the reason he is seeking this communities input.

Btw...he isn't online much but when he signs up here I will pass this thread baton to him vi a formal intro. In the meantime all options are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Better do some research before you post, the Mondial was NOT the base model, but a step up from both the 308 & 328:

Here is an example from 1980 with the Mondail costing 20% more:

Base Price 1980 Mondial = 68,000 = 197,000 + Tax (2015 dollars)
    Base Price 1980 308 = 55,000 = 159,000 + Tax (2015 Dollars)

Alden

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I stand corrected and always happy to have learned something new today - thank you for same. I was able to find the actual in period magazine articles featuring the 1980 Ferrari Mondial as well as well as the 308:

http://alexachua.com/1981_mt.pdf

http://alexachua.com/mt1981gtsi.pdf

Pretty cool reading if anyone gets the chance (308 compared to the M1 and 928)...

What I should have said was that - " You buy one now/fix/restore and it will still be the least valuable of the Ferrari models offered that year based on current market prices."

8. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you purchase both the BAT car and the Fire car, you could then make one good car out of the two.

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    To be honest, both the 400's and the Mondials suffer from a "bad looks" reputation, until they are seen in the flesh, so to speak.

I also think once it is realized that the Mondials share the 308/328/348 running gear, are more roomy and comfortable and also, due to their longer wheelbase, they simply drive better than the 3X8 series, we will see more appreciation for the model.

I bought my 88 3.2 Cab because I couldn't comfortably fit/drive a 3X8. Lots of room in the Mondial and a boot for luggage too! I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I just got back from a cruise in the mountains and got nothing but high praise from folks who stopped to chat about the car. People love the car, just like they do a 400 when they see it.

Once the 400 is appreciated for the front engine, 4 seater, 12 cylinder masterpiece that it is, we will see it appreciate too!
    Alden

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Get the burnt car. If the fire was external and it was a good car prior, you have the best shot at successfully completing the project.

Regards,

Art S.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What serial number is that burned car?

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    No way will this car make any sense monetarily to restore to even driver condition. It is a parts donor and/or perhaps a candidate for a re-body. Fire damaged panels, ruined $$$$ glass, interior work and then all the usual stuff on top of that.
    Your friend will be upside down, in a big way, in a New York minute.
    Run, Forrest, run!

13. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    He believes it is 44471 but will verify this week.

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm not a 400 expert but I'd bet that if your friend buys the burned car and sees the restoration all the way through to the end, he'll be the owner of the most expensive 400i in history.

Even before addressing the fact that it doesn't run, I'm guessing about $40k minimum in work and parts on the exterior alone...paint, glass, bumpers, mirrors, wheels, tires, lights, badges, etc, etc, etc.

My 2c. Good luck!

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is no secret I've been one of the longest supporters of this series and hate seeing another one go away, but even though values have climbed waaaay up this one just doesn't make sense.
    <sigh> Sad to say it but this one is gone.

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    My thoughts exactly. Just buying the parts will put you upside down. There's a lot of work there to make a nice car out of it.

Then at the end, you get to find out if the engine and transmission were worth the trouble.

$10K is too much.

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah honestly this is more of a "pay me to tow it away" car at this point. Maybe worthwhile to someone who is a skilled Ferrari mechanic who happens to own a shop that does everything, body, engine interior, etc., who wants it as a project/personal car. At that it would probably still end up costing the same as a 400i in decent condition that you could just buy and start driving.

18. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

19. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    Wow, I'm glad I posted this for him. He was leaning toward a max price of $15k and it seems like it isn't worth more than $5000-$7000 max as parts. Although he is still considering this 400, he definately has his eyes out for another Ferrari project (any pre-1987/88 model)...send me a message if you know of any.

20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Did he confirm the s/n?

21. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    I just emailed him and apparently that is the car.

It was imported by a Doctor from New York.

Any history on it?

22. RedGoldman

RedGoldman Rookie

Nov 10, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Red Goldman
    Looks so bad!

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #23 dstacy, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    44471??? Hey we know that car! That is the car with the fuel filler in the strange location (pictured)

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    2/2004 for sale J. Lukes (CA) $23.5k 49k miles,
    3/2005 for sale by John (CA),
    2/2006 for sale California Cars (CA) $26.9k,
    2/2007 for sale R. Miliani (CA) $26.9k 43k miles (lost miles??) chrome wheels,
    7/08 for sale Ebay (CA) $27.5k 55k miles, wrong size TRX's, still has chrome wheels and funny location for gas filler, rear deck not stock, black painted grille,
    10/08 for sale on Ebay (FL) $29k 56k miles,
    5/2009 still for sale in (FL),
    9/2009 still for sale

25. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Get your buddy into a Mondial...maybe an 8 or QV. Old school vibe, cheaper to service than the 400i, if I'm not mistaken.