1983 BBi on Fantasy Junction for $300k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1983 BBi on Fantasy Junction for $300k

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesashe2, Mar 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I do not believe that is an original exhaust system. The headers or manifold are original, but the primary mufflers are not original nor are the tailpipes. Notice how one of the pipes from the headers or exhaust manifold is capped off in one of the pictures. I cannot see how you could get a platinum award with the problems this car has. I am by no means an expert but I thought to get a platinum award the car had to be original. I believe that the car would fail the Ferrari Classiche Certification for the non original exhaust and the Ferrari Classiche Certification is nowhere near as difficult as a platinum award. Again I am by no means an expert, I wish someone with more knowledge than myself would chime in.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

let me be clear, in the current condition, that car would not come close to platinum standards...not even in the preservation class.

3. SFSportscars

SFSportscars Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    San Carlos,Ca
    Full Name:
    Brad Goldstone
    Wow, this is a bunch of BS, Rob. If we have unfinished business then reach out like a man and say something, don't go bad mouthing me or my business like a chicken ****. I will check back over our emails and if something has not been paid will remedy tomorrow.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Platinum splatinum, is this what boxers are coming to, showpieces, is thta their value today?
    To me if the compression is ok on the motor, the tranny ok, the rest looks to be just a maintained and driven car. Maybe because its been used and driven it will run better than others that look shiney.

If the mtor and transmission are ok,and its 5 years since , what are we talking about, +-15K is servicing everyhting and you get a great driver. Soemwhere along the line and a repaint this car would look no different to a number of other so called low mileage examples. Judging by the pics, you can repaint the stone chipped front and it would look pretty good.

Thats is based on the photos.

I can even see a dealer doing some paint and detail work, adding value significantly but for the odo. So in some ways assuming nothing hidden its an honest car based on pics.

My calculation woudl be if I wanted a boxer to drive this may be the one to get. If I wnated one not to drive, well the black one recently auctioned is a way btter bet.

But when all is said and done havign both runnign there is probbaly a 80K-100K difference in price. Depends what you value and your budget. This is a car to drive and maybe redo once boxer prices get to 500k, others are cars thta will set you back 400k when all is said and done and you wont want to drive too far.

Bottom line, there are no cheap boxers. This car assuming it is as it looks in the pics and assuming you can negtaiate alittle, you woudl have a good driving boxer for 300k, sounds liek the lowest enrty point at this stage.
    Or you can go buy a car that in the end will be 400K for concors.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    chicken **** is the 10+ emails I've sent you and even Phil and Sam, yet you ignore me until others are exposed to how you do business. why are you lashing out at me for a fault of your own? I haven't done a single thing wrong, so that is just another indicator of how you operate blasting me for your own shortcomings.

03/14 - sent you email for renewal (no response from you)
    04/14 - Phil emails me to add Sam to sponsorship
    04/14 - sent Phil & Sam email confirming activation, they say you want to renew, so send invoice.
    04/14 - I send renewal invoice.
    05/14 - I check in with Phil & Sam as not paid, Sam says you will take care of it.
    05/14 - I resend invoice.
    05/14 - You reply asking for more details on the sponsorship and I send answers.
    06/14 - I still haven't heard back from you after last answers, so say pay year or end sponsorship and I will just charge the 2 months you owe.
    06/14 - You say you want to end sponsorship.
    06/14 - I send over new invoice for just the 2 months (actual time was more than 2 months, but I gave you nice guy break).
    08/14 - I reach out to Sam for unpaid invoice
    12/14 - I reach out to you for unpaid invoice

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    umm, pretty simple. receiving vs. paying money.

8. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Pardon my ignorance, what does a BAR sticker (from the state of California) mean?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI, working things out with Brad. I have met Brad in person, I think he's a solid guy and a good dealer (I know some bad ones). I don't think many excuses for how hard I had to work contacting Brad and lack of response, but Brad is busy and I'm the least of his priorities. Brad will happily take your money for a car and do a good job.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day TN,

I am not an expert nor from CA... however, from what I have read and understand the BAR sticker is one of the necessary details needed to register an older car in CA... which is a large market for specialty cars. Without the BAR sticker makes it extremely difficult and/or expensive and/or potentially not possible to register the car there...

Cheers,

Sam

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just so all are clear... Although my name is Sam and I have posted in this thread, it is not the "Sam" Rob is referring to in his post... (I am in Canada and have nothing to do with the Dealer in question).

Cheers,

Different Sam

12. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Thanks, Sam. So I guess it is like or similar to a smog inspection in California.

13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    For grey market or Euro cars, you need a BAR sticker here to show the car was brought into compliance with the smog regs in effect for the year of manufacture. There are a lot of Boxers (and Euro 308s) that can't be sold into California. (And a lot of US-spec 308s with smog equipment removed that won't pass smog here...)

I don't follow the Boxer market closely, but I'd guess a BAR-stickered 512 BBi would be worth a bit more. I've seen exactly one Boxer on the road in the last 18 years out here. Rare cars.

US-spec TRs, 308s, 328s, etc., can be registered here as long as they're unmodified. No BAR sticker required.

15. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Certainly not a boxer expert but I believe that there never was a US spec version? Correct me if I am wrong. If true then a BAR certified car is they only way to register one in CA, large Ferrari market, and would make more valuable.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No US spec version.

17. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    CA has a different standard than the rest of the US, thus the "49" state car terminology for non US spec cars (grey market/euro cars) w/o the BAR sticker.

Some posters here found out the hard (and expensive) way that getting BAR certification after purchase can be very costly and time consuming, at least $20k by most estimates.

Even with BAR sticker, all CA autos '76 and later must pass a smog test every 2 years. It is not as rigorous as the BAR certification, a visual and tailpipe test.

At least we have desirable weather, lol!

BTW, was it just me that found Rob citing a non dealer issue as odd? I don't think I would care if my dealer cheated on her boyfriend, only if those that purchased cars from her were fairly treated. Hope that couple can patch things up! :)

18. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    So all bbi, including 1984 model year, were Euro spec?
    What year does US spec cars start to come in and with which model?

19. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    '85 Testarossa is the first US 12cyl Ferrari since the Daytona and GTC

20. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Car was sold yesterday for close to asking price.

21. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    #47 archibald drinkwater, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    No wonder it was sold that quick. I got the previous dealer to do a full leakdown/compression test which was ok but not great. The car was sold to current dealer before I got a chance to do a PPI (although I later decided not to pursue it further based on the car's history and current condition). Out of curiosity, does anybody know what is the current asking price at Fantasy Junction?

23. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Wow just noted the asking price of $325k, 25k more than than when it was at SF Sport Cars last week.

24. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    perhaps the consignor pulled it and switched venues ?