1983 400i Automatic: Removal of Lower Alternator | FerrariChat

1983 400i Automatic: Removal of Lower Alternator

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Radiogeek1, Jun 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Radiogeek1

Radiogeek1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Pleasant Ridge, MI
    Full Name:
    Bret Scott
    Hi, all-

Recently the upper alternator of my 400i developed a snapping noise, which has been diagnosed as a bad bearing by a local alternator rebuilding shop. What I hadn't expected was to find a second alternator sitting beneath it, I'm guessing installed on vehicles with dual air conditioning.

While the upper one is being serviced, I'd like to have the lower one serviced as well, but I'm not exactly sure how do get it out. Has anyone here done this, and am I correct that the steering center link has to be removed or at minimum disconnected from the steering lever (pitman arm), to allow its lower bolt to be pulled out?

Lastly, if you are in need of rebuild service for your alternator, I can recommend a shop here near Detroit. The pricing for replacement alternators of this form factor seem quite high.

Thanks for any advice,

Bret

-83 Ferrari 400i Automatic

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Original 400 had a single alternator that was not sufficient at idle.

400 were later upgraded to dual alternator regardless of air conditioning. Late gen1 400i had the dual setup, not sure about early injected cars though.

The alternator are regular bosh units, except for the mounts, so although they are harder to find with the specific mount, they are just as easy to fix.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The fan belts can also make a snapping noise, quite common. Something to consider.

4. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Immediately after I replaced all the belts I began to hear the snapping noise. It does it at start-up for a short while, then stops. Before I removed an alternator, I'd see if it is a belt(s).
    If you do take the alternator out you should have a full set of new belts to install.

5. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll second the comment about belts.
    The snapping noise usually first appears when the belts are a couple of years old, and when the car has been sitting for a while ( the belts take a "set"). Goes away after a few minutes, no big deal, but sounds disturbing to the uninitiated.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bret
    If you are getting an alternator rebuilt, I suggest you upgrade its amp rating. The two alternators are rated at 45 Amps each. If you add the loads of: 2 fuel pumps, 3 radiator fans, 2 cabin fans (air or heat), headlights and wipers and you can get pretty close to 90 Amp load! I ran my battery down twice running at good speed but it was hot and rainy so I had everything on. A good Bosch rebuild shop can raise the amp rating to over 100 A. I raised one of mine (top) to 80 Amp as I was worried about overloading the little belt. It has worked fine. I have a thread posted from a year or so ago.
    Ken

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As long as the ammeter is not showing negative figures would not upgrade the alternators, as changing belts is a real pain. I'd rather change old fuel pumps in order to reclaim a few amps.

Upgrading the voltage regulator to higher voltage can compensate for the voltage loss, I would not go as high as 14.8v, but maybe 14.4v?

Schumi likes this.
  8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As far as higher amp alternator are concerned, a more aggressive winding makes the alternator react differently à cross the rpm range.

At idle a 100A winding will produce less amps than a 45A winding.

Below 2400 rpm (alternator rpm, not engine rpm) high amps alternators are not delivering any output so to say. I do not know what's the pulley ratio in our cars, so no idea of the actual alternator speed when the engine idles at 700rpm, but that's something to investigate prior to an upgrade project.

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Yes, the upgraded alternator takes about 1000 Engine RPM to turn off the red light where the standard alternator goes out at 800 RPM or less.
    Ken

raemin likes this.