1983 400i 5 Speed # 43665 | FerrariChat

1983 400i 5 Speed # 43665

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by magnum15, May 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
  2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Is this a recent purchase, or are you new to the state? There are counties that don't require SMOG testing... Buying a cabin may not be on your list of "things to do", though.

I hate to ask, but why not just buy an aftermarket cat and get the car to pass?

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree..why not add cats? Should be pretty easy...and you could even make them removable so you could take them off after you pass. (If there is a reason to do so.)

Too bad the interior is tan...or I'd consider making an offer.

Is that car Titanuim Grigio?

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Can you register it at parent's, siblings, children's, cousins, in-laws....

Edit: Just curious, are you new to CA, or did you buy a car from out of state then realize it wouldn't pass?

5. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Bougth Car just before we moved to CA (buisness move).
    Nope for the inlaws etc. (none here in US).
    Anyone got contact for Catalic Converters for these Cars?
    Btw I already did run the whole nine years with the State Clowns here regarding Emission, ended up by the Referee Station recommended "CA approved Gangster Control whatever INC"...they wanted $6500.00 for the convertion!

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    What a small world! I looked at this car in 1998 when it was for sale by The Stable in Peapack/Gladstone area of NJ.

I know that it hardly accumulated any miles at all from 1998 through 2005 when it was offered for sale by various auctions and dealers around the country, so I'm glad to hear that it hopefully has a good home.

I had Dick Fritz at Amerispec install the cats on my car when I needed to pass emissions in CT. Unfortunately he is too distant if the car is already in Kallyfornia.

CA is tough as I understand, so good luck in getting it certified (BAR certificate?). Tell us a little about how you found the car and what your impressions are.

John

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Find Brian Crall, Rifledriver here, and let him handle it.....

May need some hyperflow cats, that's all....

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Gary,
    Where in California are you located? (Northern or Southern) If Northern, and Brian Crall can't take care of you, PM me and I'll give you a couple names of other Ferrari independants that might be able to help out.

Aaron

9. hplug

hplug Karting

Sep 23, 2005
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Hayes
    But in Arizona, Phoenix, we had smog in the city but get out into the rural areas and smog was exempt. So I would have people get a po box in such an area and thin forward all the mail to your address. Register the car to the po box and you are set.

10. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Similar deals happen in CA, but I'm not sure if P.O. Boxes are allowed. Additionally, to get far enough out into a county where there is no SMOG, you'd be driving *really* far to get your mail.... The CA DMV has a reputation of being a royal b*tch for a reason, and it's not because they have zillions of easily accessible loopholes.

11. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Try rigth now another state, should it fail, Ferra goes Ebay.

12. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Best of luck, my friend...

13. Timp

Timp Rookie

Oct 8, 2005
    I got my 1978 400 emisions test passed by putting 740i cats on, in a way I could unbolt afterwards. Then tuning very lean to pass, which it did. A hassle to figure out but once you've done it once its easy to repeat. Hope this helps. All this done with a very cool local mechanic. I'll e-mail his email to you if you give me an email address.

14. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    In the file I inherited from the previous owner of my '84 400i, there is a copy of an old FOC newsletter with hints on how to lean the car out to pass CA smog. Of course this doesn't solve the issue of the cats, but if anyone wants a copy, PM me with your fax number and I'll pass it along.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    So? Are you going to add cats or what? Doesn't seem that hard....

Does California have a visual identification of a cat or not? Or do they just worry about whether it passes or not.

(Example, in WA, they don't look for the cat, they're just concerned about the car passing at the tailpipe. In Kentucky though, the car could pass the test with flying colors, but if there is no cat on the car that they can see, they'll fail you.)

16. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    I brought a car into CA from Denver and I don't think the guy got under the car to look for cats-which it had, but he did do a visual inspection of the engine bay to find all the bits that were in the list he checks. If you have the service manual for the car that part of the process will go faster. Find a good muffler shop and they can fit cats.