1983 308 jumping out of reverse | FerrariChat

1983 308 jumping out of reverse

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by papparazzi, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. papparazzi

papparazzi Rookie

Nov 12, 2004
    Carlisle, MA 01741
    Full Name:
    Christian Delbert
    I seem to be the only one of Ferrari's 7500 308s that this happens to. When I put the car in reverse, it pops out of reverse. To solve the immediate problem, I made a " Ferrari, in reverse stick". I put it in the gate when I go into reverse. Problem solved but a pain in the ---. Then, I discovered that if I put it into reverse and lift the gear lever, it clicks in and stays there. Weak spring somewhere?? Any ideas??

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Worn out shift bushings, shift fork, out of adjustment linkage or worn out reverse gears.

Not fixing the underlying problem right away and holding it in reverse is going to damage parts that are not yet hurt.

Red 27 likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Actually, the normal position of the gear lever is the "up" position -- spring 16 pushes it up, but you must have a lot of friction between bushing 15 and the hole in rod 4 if it stays in the down position or a broken spring (so wouldn't hurt to check/clean/relubricate that):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    There is a protruding downward lug on the underside of the shift gate 8 so the expected operation is you have to push the shift lever down before moving it forward to engage reverse gear. The extra drag/retention you're getting when you pull the shift lever up against this lug is what helps hold the shift lever in place, but I'd agree with Brian that your symptom of not staying in reverse when the shift lever is in the down position is maybe a sign that the silent bloc rubber bushing, items 28, are degraded. Good Hunting!

Red 27 likes this.
  4. papparazzi

papparazzi Rookie

Nov 12, 2004
    Carlisle, MA 01741
    Full Name:
    Christian Delbert
    Thanks to Steve and all. I will look into it in the Spring when my baby comes out ( April 2 ). Also, is it hard to disassemble to get to # 28? Do I have to take down the whole transmission?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, they can be replaced in-situ, but it takes some tooling (you either have to make or buy) to be able to press the old one(s) out and press the new one(s) in. If you do a search on "shift shaft bushing" you should get many prior threads about it.