1982 400i Auto asking $21K on CL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1982 400i Auto asking $21K on CL

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Jim- true except all TRX and most XWX are metric tires- and there are NO replacements save for the Michelin reissues. I wound up putting TR wheels on my 412 and going with modern rubber- My 400i has a new set of TRXs.... cause that's what fits.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I put a set of 15" wheels from a series 1 400i on mine so now I get modern rubber compounds. Night and day difference. Seriously, night and day.

Yep. My TRX wheels and tires are up in the loft of the barn at our ranch.

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I was going to do the same on the 400i but brand new TRX's aren't that bad actually- and they just LOOK so cool...

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah keeping the TRX's work fine if you're only going to do one set of tires. $550 x 4 tires =$2,200. Figure a set of wheels at $2k. However if you're going to go through a set of tires either through mileage or time you'd be way ahead buying a new set if 15's.

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Dave

TRX's purchased by the previous owner... so no brainer for me.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice!

7. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Chaps,
    At what age would you say tyres are too old? 5 years, 10 years? i've got TRXs on my 84 400i they were made mid 2009 and have done about 3k and still have a lot of tread. I'm not using mine as a daily driver only for fun. how many miles do they generally last approximately do you guys think 20k? My wheels need refurbing though (about £300) and weighing up what to do as new wheels + tyres is £1600 but if i'm gonna get another 4 or 5 years i will just get refurbed.

cheers
    rob

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Most tire companies will tell you 7 years is the max on a tire. The local tire shops here won't even put air in them if they are 8 years old.
    I live in a southern state so I do get a bit concerned about UV rays from the sun even though my cars sit inside. For me? After 5 years tires go away. Others may have a different view but it just isn't worth the risk to me.

9. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No problem with that in the UK, Dave!!

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Rob-

TRX will last FOREVER... you'll never wear them out. They get HARD as a rock after 8-10 years, and putting fresh, SOFT tires on triples the car's grip and lessens road noise and makes the car usable in the rain as well.... Going to a different wheel with modern compound tires transforms the car entirely.

But sadly... the cars only look "right" with 415 TRX on.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah its never the tread that is an issue its always the age.

So are you saying that 365's and series 1 400's which came from the factory with 15" wheels don't look "right"?

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think the look of the 415 TRX is perfect for the car- so t my eyes the earlier cars or retrofitted cars look a little off. Of course original is original- so I run the 14" Cromodoras on my 308GT4 and the stock wheels on my 355... But i do dig the look of both cars on other wheels.