1982 400i Auto asking $21K on CL | FerrariChat

1982 400i Auto asking $21K on CL

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day,

Just posting info if anyone is interested. I wish these ads would include the VIN.

Interesting color!

Cheers,

Sam

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2538064343.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow Sam- love that color!

$21K seems about right for this, given the work needed to bring it up to spec... Still a buyers market to an almost ridiculous extent though...

3. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Original Tires!!! Scary stuff out there.

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jay,

Indeed, what a market. What I find strange is that people appear to pay low to mid teens for a car that needs literally tons or work and/or for a car that is not running... and for a few thousand more they can get a car that is running, driving, etc albeit with needs to... A car that is registered, running, and driving can be more thoroughly inspected and evaluated and in order to know what one is getting into...

As for the market... well... for the auto's maybe... 5-speeds not so much and certainly not for the earlier carbed or 365 series... alas.

Cheers,

Sam

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh jeeze here we go.....I know someone here on Fchat that wants to buy that very car. Now just who the h$ll was it?
    Crap! I'm off to dig through notes.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For those of you curious that is #39773

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #7 dstacy, Aug 11, 2011
  8. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I know that some 400i's were painted green (verdi) originallly.

Is that the color this car was born with?

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nevermind he wanted the green 5-speed.

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nah same for all- Couple of fairly well sorted 5 speeds have been for sale for a long time at $30K with no takers... Couple of shabby 365s in the $30s also no market.

Won't be like this forever though... I can recall when $50K was stupid high for a 365GTC4 and 330s were unwanted...

11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Oh and just as a sidenote- I've bee offered very, very strong money for both my 400i and 412- even though neither is for sale-

I think everyone is so afraid of the repair costs of these cars- when they see a "well known" and completely sorted car they figure a $40K purchase price is far cheaper then trying to keep a $20K car on the road.

The rest of the market is just looking for a "Cheap Ferrari".

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, I was offered very good money for mine early this year.

13. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    If it has the original tires...then they must still have the original Italian"Enzo" air in them..Priceless..I imagine that many classic restorers will pay a fortune for that air..don't sell it cheap...Jacques..

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jay,

My comments were more geared towards a variety of cars for sale. I find that the majority of the cars for sale are automatic. I, too, have seen a few 5's for sale, but I am wanting a 5 mated with some carbs :) ... As for the 365's around... I know of only three for sale here in North America. One is/will be a nice solid car (it is being worked on), but is above my budget... The other two have a lot of needs that require a bunch of time and $$$ to make them solid drivers.

Cheers,

Sam

15. ren6967

ren6967 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    #15 ren6967, Aug 13, 2011
    Is everyone always this cocky on this chat... ?
    Your answer...the VINZFFEB06B000039773
    Story on the car. It was purchased by a wealthy New Orleans man who ordered and picked up the car up in Italy and drove it around Italy and South France.Then shipped from Monte Carlo to Ferrari of Louisiana. DOT etc were completed and it made it's way here to California.
    The tires. I have driven the car on the original tires and at top speed and they haven't come apart yet. The spare is untouched original in perfect condition with the sticker.
    Anyone else have questions.... let me know.. it's better than guessing.
    attaching pictures....

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can't speak for others but I didn't see anyone being "cocky". Your first post here does however appear to reflect a bit of an atitude.

Nobody asked what the VIN number was. In fact I posted the serial number which was correct.

You've had this car for sale since May of 2007 when you listed it for sale with 25,000 miles for $29,000. In August of 2008 you listed it again with the same mileage for $25,000. It appears that you've only driven it 1,000 miles in the past 4 years.
    Just because I'm a very precise person I'm just curious, when you say you've "driven the car at top speed" how fast was that?

17. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you Dave!! You beat me to the punch on this one..The gentleman who posted just hasn't come to realize how useful these F chat forums really can be in helping him with his car, and some of the more valuable hidden assets on this particular car..such as the original factory Italian "Enzo" air in those original tires..I just hope that they don't blow at "top speed". Welcome to Fchat...Jacques.

18. ren6967

ren6967 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Sorry if my post came across with an attitude...none here. There is always the cell listed in my ads so anyone can ask me personally instead of guessing. I follow these chats just like everyone one else and it's just easier to make it clear when people are asking. I have four other cars so the miles I have put on it are low. I am close to a freeway and I take it out and open it up every chance I get. I used to drive it every week and back in 2007 I had to store it while I expanded my garage plus remodel etc. which took sometime. In that time the emission standards kept increasing and then the car stopped passing the smog test here in California. Thus I only took it out occasionally. No one can seem to figure out how to get the settings to standard.When you ask for the question of top speed 120mph before I had to slow down. Let me know if anyone has any other questions... or just call. (ps and yes the Fchats are useful. I check them all the time)

19. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    So If I read between the lines there, the car is not currently licensed as it does not pass California Emissions. This leads to the question or does it have a current California Air Resources Board sticker? And does it just no longer pass the annual exams? I have not heard that they raise the standard for historial years.

Getting any 400i to pass an emissions test takes a good deal of skill and patience if you live in one of the areas in Oregon that has DEQ testing so I suspect California is similar.

-sc

20. ren6967

ren6967 Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    SC...
    Yes the car used to pass. Barely. As you know Cali has the strictest standard. We have what is called these Gold Shield Smog services that are cert. repair centers and of course no one wants to touch the car as they don't know anything about it. I found one place nearby who actually looked at the car, read the fail report and let me know that the cats were too small. Working with the BAR referee, my car does have the CAL BAR plate from the time it was imported. I was given a list of cert cat makers and had two new cats custom made for the car. I put those on and the first test came as a gross polluter. I then went to go and see Guiseppe at F&M who is a friend of my fathers. He looked at both reports for the new and old cats and let me know that it was running too rich. He turned down the mixture, I took it back and it was still not passing with the new cats. Reading the reports, the cats don't get hot enough and they don't get enough air to burn the excess fuel. The car is not historical yet and my options were either to get a 2 year waiver from the BAR pending I spend $1000 to try to repair it (passed that on the first try) and then when the 2 years were up repair it at any cost. or I can scrap the car and they give me $1500.00 ( yes the figure is correct). I now went and took the new cats and replaced them with the old cats as the car did not pass prior to the mixture being rich. Doing that this week. ( PS.. my other option was to go and "pay" to have it passed but I am not that way). California did raise the standards starting the first of this year. Let me know if you need more info and I would live to see what the standards are up North.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It'll pass. Trust me, I've helped 3 or 4 guys in CA get theirs passed. During the hottest part of the day fire it up and go for a ride (but I wouldn't do it on those old tires). Make sure it is at full temperature. Once it is all the up on temps stop a block before the testing station and use a 3mm allen wrench to turn the adjust screws near the fuel distributor 1/2 to 3/4 turn. It'll be running like ****, barely running, but it will run. Try not to shut it off if you can. Have them test it. It'll pass. Turn the screws back ASAP or it will overheat.

Do a search on my posts and you'll find where I've posted how to do this with pictures.
    Trust me, it'll pass.

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Good man Dave. It's no wonder you have guys hitting on your car.

Enjoy the open roads as I know you will.

Good luck with your sale rookie, but it sounds like you may keep it if it passes. I know what it's like to not have enough time. However, if it was me, I'd invest in new tires and enjoy that car. It's a nice looking Ferrari.

Again, best of luck.

Regards,
    Stan

PS. I was driving my Daytona on real old tires. I treated it like a speed governor keeping it to about 65. One day I was approaching a roundabout. I had checked to the left and saw nothing. There was brush right there, and then I saw a car entering as I was entering. I locked up. No ABS. I skiddedd her about thirty feet on those old hard tires letting out the biggest screech I've heard in a long time. I got the best reaction from he other driver. Still brings a grin.

PSS. Lost a tire a couple months later at 50 MPH.

23. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    Fortunately Oregon's SP plates are now on my 400i and the DEQ visits are no longer required. In Oregon once a car is more than 25 years old it can qualify for the Special Purpose License Plate.

-sc

24. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just an FYI-

TRX tires essentially NEVER wear out- They just get harder and harder. 30 yr old TRX's look just fine, but are so hard and have so little grip that they are really unsafe.

XWX tires do wear out but more importantly old XWX's have been known to burst through the sidewalls- This has happened to more than a few high value cars, so really if any of these tires are more than 6-7 years old they should be replaced.

I have a shed full of old Michelins in case they are valued one day for concours purposes.

25. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sorry, but I just don't get the need to use original tires on driver type cars. Sure if your car is a trailer queen put vintage rubber on it. If you are going to drive the car get the best tire you can. I think it's probably more important to have the best tires possible than to wear seat belts!