1981 BB512 Boxer with 800 miles sells for $36,500 | FerrariChat

1981 BB512 Boxer with 800 miles sells for $36,500

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kdross, Jul 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    In the August Issue of Hemmings there is a report from the Borgata Classic Car Auction in Atlantic City that a 1981 BB512 Boxer with 800 miles sold for $36,500.00. The article states that the reserve of $100K was removed by the seller and that the car was stored in a climate control garage for its entire life. The seller was also the original owner. Does anyone have any info on this car? Why did it sell for so little? I have seen several Boxers with under 1,000 miles for sale, but they all have asking prices of $125K or more. What is the story? I cannot find any info about the auction on the Internet.

Ken

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Maybe it's a misprint and the "1" was missing ?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    With that few miles, I wouldn't have paid that much for it! All of the problems I have had with my 1982 BB512i that I bought in 2002 at 12,xxx miles have been directly related to years on non-use. Imagine what problems a 800 mile Boxer will have? Unless you want a piece of sculpture that looks like a car, go with a car that has been driven.

Modulo_B likes this.
  4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    dammit, i knew they were out there. i would have bought it. would take me about 3 years to take the damn thing apart and fix / inspect things. guess i will stick to the 308!!! got to love the Bboxer though!

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    contact the auction they should have all the details

6. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I'm sure it's a misprint, been looking for a Boxer for quite some time before I got mine and cars needing alot of work go for mid 50s, no way a Boxer sold for the price of a 308 thats low miles and nice.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Problem is though...the boxer is a hard car to sell...don't ask me why becuase it is a fantastic and beautifull car(well from some angles anyway). I much prefer the raw feel of the boxer to the TR but thats just me.

Why do you guys think the boxer has become a shund Ferrari? It seems to me that they can barely get even what the market says there worth, Why is this? Thoughts are welcome, because these cars are worth much more in my eyes then they are showing.

8. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    If we talking look alone, the 308 is a little prettier. The rear of the boxer is not quite right. People expect more money from the boxer since it got bigger engine and priced higher to begin with. But now, as far as a fun and pretty sport car goes, the 308 is just right for the money, i think.

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I don't think the Boxer is a shund Ferrari, they are an incredible car for the money, a handmade racecar, you can really see the craftsmanship that went into these cars and we are talking real limited production of 150 units a year when made.

You are just getting into a different price range and buyer with them, not many people are willing to spend $75+ grand on an old car vs the cheaper entry cars under $30k which many can afford.

Concerning the looks vs a 308 there is no comparison with a Boxer, the front end is inches off the ground, its 6 inches wider and lower than a 308 and while the 308 may be ""pretty" the Boxer is aggressive and beautiful at the same time, while someone may say nice car with the 3xx series my observation vs my 328 is people freak when they see a Boxer, they are a 12 cylinder super car with incredible sounds a hand beaten aluminum body, the car is a legend and always draws a crowd.

10. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I totally agree with you here, Frank.

11. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    I completely agree with Jeff here, although the 3x8 is a Beautiful car it's not worthy of comparison with any Boxer.

Seb

12. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I also have noticed that they are difficult to sell. I think for the money most new buyers go for the TR. To me the boxer interior isn't the best. The 308 interior makes the Boxer interior look cheap IMO. Yes I agree the 308 does look better and more finished.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    308GTS, I don't know what Boxers you have seen, but the interior of a BB512i is much finer than the interior of a 308! The Boxer was Ferrari's flagship of the late 70s early 80s and only the best materials were used. The craftsmanship of the hand made Boxer far exceeds that of the mass produced(by Ferrari standards) 308/328 series too. The quality of the leather as well as the amount used far exceeds that used in the 308/328 series as well. Are you sure you have seen a Boxer before? And Patpong, I have had a 328 and now have a BB512i. THe Boxer has a much better look with flowing lines that the 308/328 doesn't due in part to their smalled stubier size. The 308/328 may be pretty , but the Boxer is gorgeous, at least IMHO as well as from all the comments I have received from others. As far as performance, sound and fun to drive, there is no comparison; the Boxer wins by a long shot. I suppose the 308 does get better gas mileage though and that sideways mounted engine will be more familiar to your average Honda owner. Look at the photos posted at the South Central section for the 7/5 drive and compare the look of the Boxer with that of the 328 and 355 series and see for yourself. By the way, I think the rear-end of the Boxer is one of it's best angles. I think the reason some perceive a Boxer as a hard sell as people who are not enthusiast and are just looking for a cheap Ferrari will opt for one they recognise and that is the 308/328 series. Since the Boxer was never officially imported in the USA, a lot of sub-$100k Ferrari buyers have never even heard of a Boxer. In fact, I have mentioned to others that I have a Boxer and received the response "...that's a Porsche isn't it..."

14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Boxers are not difficult to sell at all, many cars I called on were already sold, Steve Maman a exotic car broker in Canada sells more Boxers than anyone and will typically sell one within a week some within a day.

The Boxer interior is more comfortable than the 308/328, its wider and the seats are much more comfortable and padded, the hood on the boxer is lower so you have a better view of the road in one also from the drivers seat.Closing the the doors they feel like feathers as they are all aluminum in comparing to the 3xx series, the same with opening the decklids.

As much as I like my 328 which is a major improvement over the 308 the Boxer is just incredible, the Boxer feels so much lighter due to the massive instant torque of the flat 12 and sounds of a early F1 Ferrari.

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

My take on Boxer's and TR's in general is that the "repair cost factor" of these cars, versus newer ones from other manufacturer's, has taken away a lot of the market for old cars and put it into new ones at the price level these cars "used" to command.

In the last 12 months in Canada I've noticed a definite change up here in the market for that stuff. I spent a few months tracking Boxers for a client and they're either TMU, need thousands in the shop, have sketchy histories, stories, are with difficult vendors, they are all "THE BEST IN THE WORLD".....cross-listed numerous times......blah....blah....blah. Oh yeah......overpriced too. It's a tough market right now with cars out there for 2/3 and 1/2 the price, that deliver as much or more performance with a good warranty and equivalent curb appeal.

I love BB's, don't get me wrong. And I want a TR. But the thought of keeping the equivalent to a good used BMW in the bank to cover 2-3 years of maintenance or surprises is the only thing that irks me about it.

16. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The Boxer buyer is a different type, typically a collector with other Ferraris or exotics.

In comparison to a 355 buyer of similar price, the 355 is easily financed and the owner may have ideas of racking up many miles on them or using them daily, not something you would do with a Boxer.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Kds,I put almost 50k miles on a TR and now have a BB512i. The TR pales in comparison to the fun and experience you get from a Boxer. And, FYI my Boxer has not been any more expensive to own thus far than any of the other 5 Ferraris I have owned except for the 330GTC which cost me nothing but gas and oil.

18. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Problem for me Frank is that a BB up here is an easy $25-35K CAD more "asking" than a TR.

That difference in prices is the equivalent of my planned 3 year TR maintenance/repair fund.......so to me a BB is twice as costly.........which is why I wouldn't buy one over a TR, even thought I absolutely love the lines of the car and lust for one madly.

Just out of curiosity....if you did 50K miles in a TR can you roughly guess for me and post what your total service/repair costs came to for your ownership ?

$15-20-25K USD ?? for example.....that would help me, and it's all I'd need to know.....obviously if you sold/traded it when it was needing $5-10K of work, that would have to be taken in to account as well.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    In the almost 50k miles I put on my 1986 TR I did one engine out major, two oil changes a year, a new clutch slave cylinder, a new fuse box, new TRXs, brake job at Brake-O, had the dash recovered, touched up the spoiler a few times a a few other minor repairs. It was a great car, but it ain't no Boxer!

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In the last 12 months in Canada I've noticed a definite change up here in the market for that stuff. I spent a few months tracking Boxers for a client and they're either TMU, need thousands in the shop, have sketchy histories, stories, are with difficult vendors, they are all "THE BEST IN THE WORLD".....cross-listed numerous times......blah....blah....blah. Oh yeah......overpriced too. It's a tough market right now with cars out there for 2/3 and 1/2 the price, that deliver as much or more performance with a good warranty and equivalent curb appeal.

Best in the world...That is the term I used, You must be reffering to my car!

Since I listed that ad My 512 bbi recieved the following accolades
    Greenwich concours...1st place, best italian sports gt.
    NE Lambo running of the bulls...Best in show including Lambo, ferrari,maserati.
    Hartford Concours..Platinum and 2nd place... best 12 cylinder ferrari 98+points
    Westpoint concours july 18th....Hoping for 1st place.I really prepared for this one...hoping to score 100 points...I'll let you know.

The Best in the world does cost more...I have had an offer 5g's short of my previous asking price...I said no.Waiting for a 100 point score and I'll let it go for $150,000.00....wishful thinking Maybe! But boxers do not get higher than 100 points, thats what makes " Best in World " status.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've seen the photos you posted of your Boxer and it looks great.But, what judging criteria was used to give you car 98 points ? Because as I recall those photos showed that your car had side market lights added as part of the DOT conversion process which would count off at least 5 points according to FCA judging criteria.

22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

msdesign....

No actually....I was referring to other vendors with cars of much less calibre than yours.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #23 tbakowsky, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The boxer is a fine car but they do have there issues. Like the transmission being weak, and some parts are begining to get hard to find. The appearance of the car is I think one of the major reasons people will go for a TR rather then the boxer. Form some angles is does look a little kit carish. And it can look like a bigger 308 to the uninformed. The interior is nice, but the plasctic gauges and surround kill the enitre feel. The leather used in the boxer is the same leather as in the 308/328 cars and probably used in the same areas on both cars other then the head liner.

But the cars are magic. I really enjoy driving them and I look forward to them comming in for service because I really like the cars. But looking at it form a buyers persepective I can see why they have become more difficult to sell, other then to sombody who knows what the car is.

As to the comment of alot being sold here in Canada...I don't really agree. I know of 3 bb512's that have been for sale for over 3 years, and knowbody has stepped up to the plate yet. One is a very rare car, one of the last cars to be built and still knowbody has stepped up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I disagree on the Boxer looking kit car-ish, Countach yes Boxer no, they appear radical to me in comparison to other Ferrari's, as with many Ferrari's you need to see them in person to appreciate them, my Boxer sits right next to my 328 in my garage and it just looks more aggressive and exotic.

Concerning TRs I have driven a few and they don't compare to a Boxer, they feel heavy and sedated compared to a Boxer, whats special with a Boxer is not only its appearance but just the way it sounds and drives, you can really tell Enzo had a great influence on this car as he was still very active and involved in his company when it was designed in the early 70s not to mention his great designers involved in that era carried over from the 60s in the true heyday of great unique limited production Ferrari]s vs todays mass produced cars in large numbers.

Steve Maman sells Boxers not to the Canadian market but the entire US, he has sold over 10 Boxers last year that I know of and they all sold fast within a few weeks, some sold in the upper 80s.

25. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Hate to disagree. You are passing judgement on a car because it has not been driven. For that price you can afford to replace half of it and it still is a bargain. If I had a choice i would buy the well stored low miles rather than the very high miles of a daily driver. I guess it is a personal preference as I too have had problems with my Boxer which I have owned for many years and did not drive it...I still would buy it because the interior, body etc... are usually in much better shape in the garage queen. :)