1981 512 BB Fog Lights. | FerrariChat

1981 512 BB Fog Lights.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vfinaldi, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Can anyone here please let me know which fog lights are correct for a 1981 512 BB, French delivery? Are the same square Carello's as the Countach, with yellow lenses? Any help, with photos if possible, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Vince

2. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Before I get ripped into...yes, technically they are passing lights...I know. Thanks!

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #3 Newman, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Ooooops I thought I read BBi

Yes same carellos but yellow for the french market

They are fog lights on a carb car, flash to pass on an injected car. You should have a "f.fog" switch or just fog depending if the car had one rear fog from the factory. If its flash to pass on a carb car thats a first for me.

4. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Oh, cool! Thanks for the info. Not sure what the switch says...I have to check it. Just picked up the car. It's a 1-owner silver 1981 512BB all original car with documented 6500 miles. In the process of sorting through it but so far so good!

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If there's a switch on the console then its fog lights. Injected cars have a fog switch to control the rear fog lights only and the column switch controls the fronts as a flash to pass.

6. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

I checked and the switch is to the right of the choke lever and it just says "fog." Would it have a rear fog light as well then?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Does the car have spinners or octagon nuts? Why are the fog lights missing on a low mile car? DOT converted?

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No it only had front ones. If it had a single rear (being a carb'd 512) it would have two fog switches, one that says r.fog and f.fog, I have a BB here with 2 switches which is pretty cool and for the belgium market originally. My 400i also has front and rear fogs but only one switch that turns them on at the same time for some reason, also a belgium market car.

9. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

It has octagon nuts. Originally imported through Paris, France (Charles Pozzi S.A.). DOT converted by Ferrari Compliance, Inc. in Santa Ana, CA...that's why the front fog lights are missing (5 mph shocks in their place). Overall, the conversion was very well done, surprisingly. We are converting the bumpers back to stock. I should check the rear valance and deck lid next time I am there to see if there are any holes for a rear fog light.

10. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

11. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Look in the hard shell connector behind the left tail light cover and see if there's an empty hole. Thats where the fog power wire goes for the rear light.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If he's not interested I know someone that might be, a member here named 4right.

14. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

They are all yours. My car does indeed have the clear front marker lights, but they are in great condition and I will be keeping them.