1981 400i Auto Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1981 400i Auto Restoration

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Modificata, Aug 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My new Ansa just blew up so I'm not sure about their quality.

2. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I've just (two weeks ago) had a complete new exhaust system from PD Gough (hand made in stainless steel, with a lifetime warranty). New manifolds, centre sections, balance pipes, rear boxes, the full nine yards. I'll need to check the paperwork but the figure of £6000 inc Vat springs to mind.

For originality I've had it painted black, and had the red stripes fitted to the tips, along with ANSA stickers. So it looks stock, but is way better quality.

3. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I've looked at my invoices from PD Gough, and including some discount, I paid £1600 for the manifolds, £940 for the centre sections plus balance pipe, and £1200 for the rear sections. You need to add VAT at 20% to these prices, and delivery. But even so, for the quality (and given the costs of other options) it appears to be good value at £4600 all in.

I then spent about £240 on a full new set of gaskets, hangers, washers, nuts etc. to actually fit it all.

4. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
  5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Ewan

Thanks a bunch for this. That is a good price indeed.

6. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Cheers Simon. £1,000 days seem to be over!

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Update on the car.

Since I took delivery 10 days ago no progress has been made. I can only spend time on Saturdays due to work and family commitments so it limits my time. In addition I’ve been busy working on getting my 456M back on the road ready for a 2k road trip to Italy.

Saying that, it doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking and researching! My biggest sticking point at the moment is deciding on if I want to finish with a good driving car or a concours finish. I have not attempted anything like that before and do not underestimate the time and cost involved.

Deciding on which way to go will for example determine if I go for a respray, or a full metal respray. Prices vary from £4k to £9k.

Also do I remove the loose undercoat and respray, or grit blast, treat, and respray? I can then move on to other things like engine detailing, interior etc etc. Im hoping to continue my research over the next few weeks and will share my thoughts and findings.

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Stumbled upon this thread which had not been updated in a very long time... Any news on 35249?

9. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool

Still no news I'm afraid. Mile has been too busy and although I have been speaking to a number of companies about the body restoration I have not moved forward with any company yet. I'll hopefully have further info soon.

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Just bumping this. After pushing this to the back burner for so long I've decided to go ahead with the restoration. Going to be making a "list" with my mechanic on Saturday. We will remove the mechanicals while the body will be sent away to be restored. Watch this space!

11. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I had PD Gough make new exhaust headers for my '79 400i and they fit beautifully and were very professional to work with. I had already had Timevalve do the rear section and everything matched up nicely and the car sounds much better!

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You still need headers? I may have some extras.

13. JSancho

JSancho Rookie

Feb 24, 2016
    Looks like a load of work but also a great project to have ... show us more pls !!!

14. job328

job328 Rookie

Nov 25, 2015