Sold - 1979 Lotus Esprit JPS, 16k original miles, designed by Giugiaro | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold 1979 Lotus Esprit JPS, 16k original miles, designed by Giugiaro

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by rdwinelover, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A question to those who'd know.

This car is presently registered in a state outside of California. Is the model year 1979 Lotus Esprit easily registered in California when it comes to smog? Is it considered a US car or a Grey market car?

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s a US car though I believe they had a special California compliant model. Do you know to what state it was originally delivered?

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No history ...
    No records ...
    And that is why I asked. Back then, cars were not 50-states so taking a 49 state car into california may have consequences.

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Heritage certificate says East Coast. I believe the ViN would also denote California designated car. There are several registries you can check including a JPS registry. From what I see I don’t believe this was CA delivered.

5. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have history of ownership from the previous owner. The car has or was registered in California by 2 previous owners. I am certain DMV records has this data. The previous owner is also listed whom I am certain is willing to discuss the car, it's previous owner whom he bought it from in CA, etc.

6. Lotiat

Lotiat Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    I had the same model year, built in 11/78. It was California Spec: Air pump and I think Rochester Carburetors (not sure on the carbs). It couldn’t get out of its own way, but the speed limit was 55, so it didn’t matter a whole lot.

In true Lotus fashion, a few years later, I bought a 1978 model year Lotus. I was Lotus America’s demo car. It was built in 1/79, VIN 780123S. (I’m very suspicious of the 0123 – Under US law, one can only build a model year car for twelve months. Unless they started building '78s in February '78, it was illegally built. Not that such things ever bothered Colin ;-) )

I still have it.

No Cats. Cats were not required in 1978; they were in 1979. Twin Dellortos. Amazingly, it passed Georgia emissions. In Georgia, at least, cars more than twenty-five years old are not emission tested.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And that is
    This car is 79, and has Twin Dellortos carbs. And in California, it would have to pass Sniff test and visual test.

8. Lotiat

Lotiat Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    So it is not stock. Air pump gone also? Sounds like you won’t be able to get it registered there. I may have the manual for that car here. If I do, I can scan it for you.

9. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    An original set of Zenith-Stromberg carbs, intake and air filter box is included with the sale of the car.

10. Lotiat

Lotiat Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    yes, Zenith-Stromberg carbs. Air pump? Or am I misremembering?

11. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I learned the following today after finding documentation I had that showed my car came through Rolls Royce Motors Inc. Post Ofice Box 476 Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

All Federal-spec Lotus cars entered North America via eastern USA, so even 'California' cars were originally delivered to the east coast.

Point of Entry or the original distributor/ dealer doesn't matter in determining if one car is 49-State or a California spec.

The cars were built to a mandated emissions standard. Federal S1 and early S2 Esprits had a VIN number that ended with an H. The later emissions S2 models had a VIN that ended with an S (49-State) or a T (California). My cars VIN ends with #0127T and hence is / was and always will be a legally a California car. While the carbs were changed to the far better Euro carbs, it is a 'California' Esprit S2. The JPS car parts didn't get a separate VIN number format, and there were both S and T JPS Esprits.

Knowing now that the car was delivered to California, the only parts needed to allow the car to pass smog in California are the Stromberg Carbs, intake and air pump all of which will go with the sale of the car.

As for a sale to any other state in the nation, no one else has to worry about this absurdity!

Cheers,
    Jamie

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That’s great info. I knew there was a separate VIN designation for the California cars, I just couldn’t remember exactly what it was, though there are plenty of places to find it. Hopefully this helps a lucky buyer. This is definitely one of the best out there - if I was in the market I wouldnt hesitate to take this one down.

13. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Much appreciated.

I have also decided to drop the price to $51,500 so in the event someone wishes to smog it in California, the discount will provide the cushion to getting the old carbs back on the car.

As I mentioned in the original post, Barry Spencer worked at the factory in the 80's and is less than 30 miles from my home in San Francisco. Barry can and will return the car to it's stock Carb set-up so that it can pass smog.

Cheers and best to you all!
    Jamie

14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Wasn't actually burgundy - it was Copper Fire Metallic (more of a burnt orange color) and that one didn't blow up - they blew up the white one, which was rebuilt as the Copper one. I know - because I bought one of the same year and am building a semi tribute car to that one now - will look similar but I am not trying to replicate it.

desmomini likes this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My Dad had an Esprit for a while.. 78 model year bought in 80. it was yellow, which was an ok color but showed the dirt a lot, and attracted bugs all the time. It was probably the least reliable car I've seen... he finally sold it in 83, after it stranded him in the pouring rain, coming back from Youngstown Oh, the guy who towed the car ripped part of the back bumper and scraped the spoiler in the front so bad we had to find a new one... Not a happy camper. the throttle cable literally came apart between the rear bulkhead and the engine ... he fixed it - and then traded in on a 930, which I wish he would have kept.

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Was a gent in my town, and in my neighborhood when I was a kid, that had a JPS Europa. That was INCREDIBLY cool. A JPS Esprit? Oh, that's more than a bit more amazing.

Hope you best for your sale!

17. pce01

pce01 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2013
    Rochester, NY/Tampa
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Flash G likes this.
  18. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The site I'm looking at confirms it's a California car, although it was originally #005 re-badged to #007 - seems there's another #007 out there, which is a Federal car, not California. But your VIN does check out as a California car.

19. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    How do you know it is or was re-badged? The factory document shows badged as 007 when they sent this letter to the previous owner in 2000.

Thanks for the post and info. Cheers, Jamie

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Hi Jamie,

this page linked from the http://jpsesprit.com/ site says it was re-badged, and that VIN #0148S was also #007: http://www.v8vantage.com/jpsesprit/JPS%20Build.htm

Of course, it is the internet so take it with a grain of salt - interesting to see your documentation from Lotus though!

21. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Perhaps Lotus officially re-badged it, not the owner or dealer per se, hence their records consider it to be #007?

22. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks again for sharing. As suspected, the T in the end of the VIN means California.

I am not sure I can or will be able to learn if Lotus re-badged or whom might have. More mysteries than answers...

23. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie

It is interesting that others were also re-badged so many it was done at the factory.

Mario Andretti's car was #013 and was re-badged #100. I would assume the factory would do that.

Also California # 001 was re-badged # 014

Also California # 026 was re-badged #100

I am not really sure why that or those would occur. I do know that the sticker / numbers 007 are all matching in appearance, color, original looking on the car. The color matches the rest of the stripes around the entire car and don't look sourced / changed or different.

24. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    It is indeed strange - I think Mario's car was re-badged #001, not #100, but perhaps that was the cause - they wanted him to have #001, and thus started shuffling badging numbers around to make it happen.

And perhaps customers could request a number they wanted, hence #026 was re-badged #100 per a customer request.