1979 400A Auto Chassis 24481 on Ebay | FerrariChat

1979 400A Auto Chassis 24481 on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Jan 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just documenting these cars, as they come up...

The car looks quite original...and carbs too! The super low miles is amazing and would need to be verified to see if it is indeed correct.

Cheers,

Sam

1979 Ferrari Other 400 | eBay

1979 Ferrari 400A Auto
    Color: Silver Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 3958 (?)

Chassis: 24481
    Buy It Now: $42500 USD (18 Days remaining)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Doh! That underside pic where they seem to have jacked up the front so high that they're crushing the rear mufflers! Yikes!

A couple of things seem odd to me:

1) I've not seen bumpers like these before... I wonder if they're somehow associated to the US DOT conversion where they tried to incorporate 5 mph impact capability? Anyone know?

2) I've not seen an interior color scheme with dual color door cards. Would this have been original?

Thanks for sharing Sam!

Cheers!

Ruben

3. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Just adding a bit to the history.

24481 was registered in the UK on the plates "DYF 92V" from 24 September 1979 until around 1985. It wasn't sold new in the UK. So most likely it was sold new with a KPH speedo and this was replaced with the current MPH speedo either in the UK or in the US, so I expect there are some miles to add to the present reading.

Ruben - 400 (carb) and 400i S1's when ordered with contrasting seat inserts usually had the dual colour door cards to match.

4. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ah learn something new everyday, I somehow never realized that! Thanks David!

Cheers!

Ruben

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No way that mileage is accurate. No way! Look at the corrosion underneath, the engine, the wear on the driver's side arm rest, the blems on the steering wheel. Nope!

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ramboy comment just makes it more clear. The mileage shown does not match the condition.

7. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    I would imagine if there are really good records on the car, they should include when the speedometer was changed on at least one occasion. I've found that mine has been changed a couple of times, with one record of mileage when it was changed at 26K miles for some reason...or it could be 103958...

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ruben,

You are most welcome!

Cheers,

Sam

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And yes those are some probably hand built bumpers for the car to go through US certification. I've never seen that exact style before...but every RI did something just slightly different.

10. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    In the past year or so, a red 400i (I believe) came up for sale with similar bumpers for the rear. I have never seen fronts like this one, though. At the current asking price, with all of the work necessary to sort this one out, perhaps the seller is being a tad optimistic? Its definitely a project car that can (and should) be brought back to life, but with attention to the expenses necessary to make it happen...

11. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    It looks like a great candidate for resurrection. Maybe worth it at half the BIN price or less.

12. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    For information my 400 Auto chassis 24541 engine 00302 was first registered in France in June 1978. I would think 24481 is also a 1978 car.

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    24481 was completed at the factory 15 May 1978.
    Original exterior color: Argento Metallizzato Italver.
    Original interior Color: Leather Beige VM 3218.
    Delivered new to official dealer Samocar SpA in Rome, Italy.

Marcel Massini

14. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    In November 1989 this car was offered by Big Red Sports/Ferrari Imports, Oklahoma with 12,000 miles, the same seller had the car for sale in May 1990 with 13,000 miles and remained with them until at least the end of that year.
    Early 1995 a former Chrysler dealer purchased the car.

Paul

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah ha! The plot thickens.

16. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Looking at the hole (from the left foot) in the drivers side carpet, this car has at least 70.000 miles !

Guido

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Maybe driven by a female with stilettos?

Marcel Massini

18. guiseppif1

guiseppif1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2010
    Orange Beach,AL
    Full Name:
    JOE Phillips
    I drove this car in 89 when it was for sale in OK,I did not purchase it because it was not a 5sp.

19. old carhound

old carhound Rookie

Jan 13, 2017
    #19 old carhound, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    @ paul and others. I am the owner of this car. i dont know where you got the miles at 12k in 1989, because i am looking at my title from Big Red Sports dated 8-1-89 showing 2380 actual miles.the car was sold on sept 20, 1991 to another used car dealer in Arkansas who used it sparingly. it ended up at a Chevy not a Chrysler dealership in Texas in 1995 and thats were i got it from. i actually tried to buy it over 10 years ago,but the owner just liked to look at it.i dont feel that it is very factual that some member scan post what ever they want with out checking the facts.

20. jooston

jooston Rookie

May 21, 2009
    Schaijk
    Full Name:
    Joost Onrust
    I was interested in this Ferrari and told him mileage looks like it's not actual, regarding to Ferrari chat, Barnfinds and of course it's current shape. This was his answer;

i read the article on ferrari chat and they have it wrong. if you look at my photos you will see that big red sports cars sold the car with 2380 miles. not 12 or 13k. and it went to a couple of used car dealers after that before selling to a chevy not a chrysler dealer who i got it from. thanks for your interest, go buy from someone else

After his answer above I sent him 2 pics I found where it was for sale a couple of months ago and than he answered (just little irritated....);

no ****,that where I bought it.now leave me alone and buy one from someone else

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

In my opinion I made a good offer of 26k for this 400 with an unknown mileage history and a non running engine. Everybody knows this kind of cars are worth a lot more with a running engine and I believe someone would have check before selling it. Big chance it need a major rebuilt or at least resealing and carb rebuilt. The cost at least 15 to 20k and than you need to do other (unknown) repair works. It's crazy he react like this, i was very polite all the time.

21. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    If I'm reading this correctly, the car is an automatic that does not run and you offered him $26k for it. Your offer seems very fair to me.

22. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I have seen examples in far worse shape. In the end the mileage to me is relatively irrelevant, what matters most is condition, which does not look too bad to me as a starting point. It is cosmetically challenged here and there but I do not see significant rust. It does look like a car that sat for most of its life, so a significant amount of "old age" damage is to be expected. Think seized brakes, thinned exhaust system, hoses, fluids, body and engine seals.
    As for the hole in the carpet, could be mice! A hole there strikes me as unusual, I would like to see the gas pedal area since that is a far more common place for carpet wear.

Last, I am intrigued by the eleborate exhaust system with the two little pipes from both header collectors, is that a sound engineering feature?

23. jooston

jooston Rookie

May 21, 2009
    Schaijk
    Full Name:
    Joost Onrust
    Yes, that's correct and without Reading this thread. No problem if he didn't like my offer but his reaction is as crazy as his price. I buy more often Porsches and Ferrari's so normally I should say may Be we can do another deal in the future. Very strange. At this point, with an unknown mileage, I think 26k is really too much.

24. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Agreed. I think you will end up being glad he didn't take your offer.

25. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    seller claims "I have not tried to get it running" BULL****!
    $42k for mystery bag? He's nuts!