1978 308 GTS EV Conversion | Page 20 | FerrariChat

1978 308 GTS EV Conversion

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Hutch, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    Hutch,
    Glad to see the car getting such great attention and response. I feel privileged to have driven it.

308Hutch likes this.
  2. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Electrifying moment: After 3 years labor and fun I am moving onto a new daily driver project my FC150. The 308 has been a really incredible project and experience to say the least. What a great car and life enhancing experience. It is now time a new garage for the Electric 308! Being a one of a kind it will surely prove interesting from a valuation perspective with opinions ranging end to end. Talking to Barrett Jackson for further perspective and am open to input here. Feel free to PM or call me for any discussion or if you have a prospective garage for this unique and historic car. I did send a personal letter to Italy with a primary offer for stabling the electric horse back at home :D. This almost feels like an offer to have a new extended family relationship due to such a high level of attachment..... The driving continues daily and I look forward to participating in Southern California events with the 308.

3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    308Hutch likes this.
  4. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
  5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'll be there Wed-Thurs, will make a point of seeing the car!

308Hutch likes this.
  6. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sold at auction for $77K.

7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    congrats hutch! Hope we don't lose you here!

308Hutch likes this.
  8. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Really appreciate the support of such a wonderful community. Will certainly stay here, continue to participate etc... And the new owner is a true fan of the car and it will continue its life in new hands with equal passion... Stay tuned as he will surely joining FCA and this thread if not already. He drives it tomorrow;).... This build and thread is a neat story. Even Ferrari now commits to an electric super car. Wait to see some cool plans with the car and the new owner will certainly be meeting many of us and likely joining this thread! His story about finding the car is really cool! Super stoked and looking forward to what is coming! We discussed future tech & upgrades that apply to keeping electric classics on the road for a long time...

BTW, how much fun to have such a polarizing car build that makes so many positive acquaintances, gets letters from Italy, Top Gear coverage, press, and a Barrett Jackson disposition :)..

No comment on the Cobra kit car with a Tesla Drive line that we just drove..... Way too much power... seriously scary!! ...... Builds on deck,,, 1970 FJ40, Fiat 124#2 and Jeep FC150......

psych0hans likes this.
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Regardless of what the future brings Hutch you can be proud to have been the first with an all electric Ferrari. Congratulations on the sale and on to the next adventure.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Well stated!

Cheers,

Sam

308Hutch likes this.
  11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  12. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I was surprised to see you let it go, but I guess that's the business you're in. I have to think you lost money on the sale, though, after the time and money you invested in the car.

308Hutch likes this.
  13. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    Congrats Hutch!

308Hutch likes this.
  14. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    No car every really leaves such a family... the family just gets bigger..... We have been making a few minor repairs post Barrett Jackson (woops the drivers at BJ found some ways to "shock" the system... :). Getting ready to deliver in Central CA this week. oh and I hear there is some real interest on having the car on a certain car lover show everyone knows about in LA.... hmmmm. Stay tuned.... A story that goes and goes....... Great stuff here... Have a great week!

sltillim likes this.
  15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
  16. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's just awesome!!

Jedi

17. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Had a chance to go hang out with the new owner in Central California Valley who loves the car and has figured out how to spin out already! CNN joined us to film a segment on the car to air on their show Supercharged. The car looked great and the foothills of the Sierras where green and fantastic... almost like the Alps:). Here is the link to the article and embedded video posted yesterday:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/19/motorsport/electric-ferrari-308-intl-supercharged-spt/index.html

Here is the viewing schedule & info provided by CNN:

The latest edition of CNN Supercharged from the eternal city broadcasts this weekend!
    Here’s a link to the half hour show::

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2018/04/20/rome-eprix-virgin-scavenger-hunt-lucas-di-grassi-supercharged-spt.cnn.html
    There are 6 chances to catch it on CNN International
    Saturday 4/21/18
    730am ET/ 1230am BST

Sunday 4/22/18
    130am ET/ 630am BST

230pm ET/ 730pm BST

Monday 4/23/18
    430am ET/ 930am BST

Wednesday 4/25/18
    530am ET/ 1030am BST
    1230pm ET/ 530pm BST

Please tune in.
    And spread the word: @cnnsport/ #cnnsupercharged
    On the show you can look forward to:
    Coliseum caper: Nicki Shields races the drivers from Team Virgin, alongside Jack Nicholls (Formula E commentator), in electric buggies on the streets of Rome
    Charging ahead: Alberto Piglia, head of E-mobility for Italian energy company Enel, describes the road toward electrification
    Blue steel: FE reigning champion Lucas Di Grassi poses for a magazine, and shows us his illegal underwear
    Prancing horse: Eric Hutchison takes us for a spin in the world’s first and only electric Ferrari (props to Leif, Brooke and Beau)
    Track lowdown: 3 x Indy 500 Champion Dario Franchitti explains why the Rome circuit is one of his favourites (with thanks to Virtually Live)
    So near yet so far: Mitch Evans feels a podium for Jaguar is within reach
    Racing in Rome: highlights from the inaugural Italian E-Prix (props to Aurora Media)

18. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
  19. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #494 308Hutch, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    CNN Supercharged show released after Formula E's 1st every race in Italy - Rome. Its at the 11 minute mark.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2018/04/20/rome-eprix-virgin-scavenger-hunt-lucas-di-grassi-supercharged-spt.cnn.html

The write-up @CNN with a direct VIDEO link is embedded mid article.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/19/motorsport/electric-ferrari-308-intl-supercharged-spt/index.html

Central California Sierra-Nevada foohill spring-time roads are awesome. Oh yeah... and we have some friends about to drop a Tesla motor into a 328 now.... 2x to power, no trans, and !@#$%. yep.... !@#$%.

20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Fantastic interview. Well done!!!

308Hutch likes this.
  21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Very nicely done interview.

I will say that the new owner did not shower himself in glory when he said that he did not know the car was electric when bidding on it. I can't imagine how passive you would have to be to miss that detail :eek:

308Hutch and 308 milano like this.
  22. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Guess what is back on eBay:).... It has been sitting nicely in a garage with little use...... $ is dropping....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ferrari-308-EV/173428902869?hash=item28612b0bd5:g:X54AAOSwQolbICM1&vxp=mtr

Also worth watching will be the Ferrari 3X8 Conversion at UK Classic Electric Cars using a Tesla main drive motor. Have had a chance to drive a couple other classics with same drive...... There is such a thing as toooo much power :).... Cool stuff happening.... will circle back soon with some really neat progress updates...

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    So in Jan 2018 it sold at auction for $77k, and now in July the ask is $36k more? Whatever.

24. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    So the I hear owner is now offering the car for sale @$70K but it is not listed anywhere...... Obviously motivated as the cost of purchase @$77 + fees was much higher...... If interested feel free to contact me & I can put you in touch. Would love to see this be on the road rather than in a garage:).... It has about 500 miles on it since Jan and its not a match for the fella.

25. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Hutch,

How is the FC 150 project going? I don't know if the guy would be interested, but I would be open to a trade for the slower of the two Ferraris that the Stig drove.

That way we can get it back in the Fchat family and driven like it should be. Give me a call or text when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Henry

308Hutch likes this.