Sold - 1977 Ferrari 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

Sold 1977 Ferrari 308 GT4

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Michael Keathley, Oct 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    I have a 1977 Ferrari 308 GT4 that needs work. Here are some pictures. The interior is shot. The car runs albeit it runs terrible. The carbs were redone by Pierce and have had zero miles on them since the rebuild. I’ve been told by a couple people that it sounds like a timing issue. The mechanic that we had look at our car messed it up. We invested over 10k only to find he didn’t know what in the heck he was doing.

:(

So I ultimately took it to Brian Crall to have it fixed but he declined to take on this project. He recommended that we sell it and we don’t know anyone in the San Antonio area who can help us get this car back on the road so here it is...

He also gave his opinion on what he thought it would be worth but I’m asking a bit more as I think he may have been quick to dismiss the car. I’m asking 20k.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    GLWS. Shame so many GT4s ended up like this.

19633500GT likes this.
  4. eswilly

eswilly Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    Crazy. That’s a major endeavor. Geez, I hate to see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    ouch. sorry to see you going this route.

The main issue I see is there's no "sympathetic" route, only a full nut/bolt restoration possible. I'd estimate it would likely take at least $100-125K, but I'm probably light. But hey, if you get it to the FL guys, maybe that's the best place to see it brought back. GL either way.

lm2504me likes this.
  6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    What was original color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steved033 likes this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    hoping the light blue ( Azzuro Cielo). would be a great find to have 2 for sale at the same time here. Maybe the color on the Quarter

8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Really sorry to see the car in this state and that it isn't an easier project for you.

It may be worth a call to Beverly Hills Car Club to see if they would be interested. Not sure that they would pay $20K, but it would be the quickest and easiest way to send the car on its way.

2cam

Saabguy, desmomini and absostone like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    The thing is that the car runs, just needs the timing reset and tweaked.

eswilly and Michael Keathley like this.
  10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    It really calls for someone who can do the motor work themselves. (gr?)

After that, as is, you can drive it anywhere and not worry about where you park it. Can do the cosmetics over time.

GLWS

steved033 and Michael Keathley like this.
  11. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    [
    knowing those guys they would offer you $5k.

12. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    I really do want to get it going. It ran fine before my dad let it sit. The mechanic prior to Brian really did a number on it and I’m just at a loss. The interior and whatnot don’t really matter much to me. I want to drive this car! I’m tired of putting money into it and being taken advantage of though. I need either for someone to help me get this car going or I need to get it out of the Texas sun.

bjwhite and absostone like this.
  13. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    Yes! That’s exactly how I feel about it. It can’t take too much to get running. It ran just fine before it was parked 5 years ago.

14. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    I’m not in a hurry. I guess at this point, I’d like for the car to be sold before summer comes back to Texas. I’ve had a couple fair offers so I’m sure it’ll work out. Honestly... I’m holding out hope that someone is gonna say... hey! I’m in SA and can help! Lol.

absostone likes this.
  15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    If I lived near you I honestly would do what I can. And yes I know what its like to pay money and get poor results. Im sure someone can help with the timing . Ive done mine on both banks but without having to remove the dizzys. but im sure there isnt much to it. its three bolts. Set as per the WSM and then set the carbs. I hope someone near you will help out. At least get to drive it for a year or two.

Michael Keathley likes this.
  16. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What cost $10K that didn’t result in AT LEAST a running/driving/braking car?

17. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    I’m not sure what you’re saying? I made two payments to the first mechanic... one for 5k and another for $2500. The other 3k was given to Pierce out of California to rebuild the carbs. Total I spent was over 10k. Brian didn’t charge me anything although I did pay to have a tow truck bring it home.

What work did the mechanic do? To be honest... I don’t know at this point, he lied about a lot of things. Here’s what I do know...

He replaced the coils, wires, plugs, timing belt, all hoses and rubber lines (fuel), and then he cleaned the carbs but he struggled with that and claimed one of the carbs was broken so I sent it off to Pierce and they redid the carbs perfect. I was so angry at the mechanic by then for all the delays and hemming and hawing on the status of the car. I finally had to reach out to his business partner in which he made the mechanic get it going... he gave it a clean Bill of health before I took it home. It sputtered and popped the whole drive home.

Before you ask why did I drive it home popping? Well.., I didn’t know it was popping! I’m a culturally Deaf person. I definitely wasn’t bringing the car back to him! I do believe that the mechanic simply got in over his head and just could not come clean about the car but to take advantage of my disability like that? He go pound sand.

18. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Ok, yes, that’s what I meant. So carbs aside, $7500.

This is unfortunate because that is more than enough to cover a large major service and then some at most competent indies. The parts you listed are sub $1K, and I’m going to guess $125? An hour? So man, I hate hearing stuff like this. You should go back and demand a break down/receipt and ask for some money back. Bring the cops, that’s ****ing robbery

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well..it's time t take a deep breath.

Brian is a straight shooter, who once told me: "These two cars need $60K to "be well"..if you had $60K in a bucket would you leave here to buy a nice dinner or would you pour it in the window of these cars??"

I'm so sorry an knuckle head soaked up so much cash.
    But your parts are still "new"...

You are going to have to sort this as a project, but I agree with all the "running and driving" probably is not too far away.
    I have a similar car and only today spoke with a young man that "likes to sort the old gilrls"...

As he had just finished a Major Service on a black black single mirror '86 TR, I think he MIGHT be your man.
    He's around the corner in the Houston Heights.

I will show him this thread tomorrow....

absostone and Michael Keathley like this.
  20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's an upholstery shop up the street too.
    They would be excited to see it.

They love my car having just done the Tire Cover bulkhead......(for $150)..

People are going to be sitting around in the dark starving after the election.
    Things will be "different"....

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Like my lawyer my Body Shop is on retainer as well......they only take one "special project" at a time but there's not much wrong (other than the usual faults) in this body...

22. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    You’re the guy I’ve been hoping to hear a reply from. After all, you’re the one who connected me to Brian so I know you’ve got some other tricks up your sleeve! Help me get this car going! I’ll bring it to Houston and even will find a storage unit where we can work on it.

Lol.

I’m kidding but I truly do want to keep this car.. You’re exactly right... Brian’s a straight shooter and he minced -zero- words on this car. I appreciate his brutal candor and also his time spent on the car... even though I do wish he at least told me how much it would cost to get it going. He refused to answer that question. Either way, it is clear that his and my vision are different. He’s a purist while I’m cool with my Houston Texans seat covers. Lol. I just want to drive my father’s car but Brian is right. I can’t keep throwing money at it. I’m not wealthy like most Ferrari owners. I’m not poor either but I’m just a regular Joe Blow who got lucky by inheriting a Ferrari... no matter how broken down she may be.

NuorderSG and greg328 like this.
  23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He was being truthful, in that now that it's all wrong, he doesn't know what he has to fix.....and "time is money" to find out..

Sorry to be absent, there's a LOT going on with the hurricanes and Covid here.

So you need OEM wires, changing the coil wiring and putting the distributors in.
    You can spend a lot on the distributors too.

But I think we can get it smoking up and down the street, and we will see how the brakes look before we romp down.....
    This shop I mention just pushed out a Full Service on a TR....

This is the Deer Park Texas car???

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Air cooled Porsche guys:

"Gas......air........spark".....
    :D :D :D

Michael Keathley likes this.
  25. Michael Keathley

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Keathley
    Pasadena but yes it is! You commented on the original thread from last year. It sat in my parent’s front yard smack dab in the middle of Pasadena. Lol.