For Sale - 1974 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Masthead Yawl Sailboat | FerrariChat

For Sale 1974 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Masthead Yawl Sailboat

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by 19633500GT, Jan 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Hey FChat. My friend has asked me to list her Hinckley for sale, so here it goes (I'm not a super knowledgeable boat guy, so don't fry me, but please ask any and all questions, and I'll get you an answer).

The Hinck is located in Voluntown, CT, and if you'd like to come see it, get in touch with me and we'll set up a time for a serious party.

The asking price is $47,000.00 USD, or Best Reasonable Offer
    (apologies on the poor photos for now, but this is what I was given, until I can get up there person)

In her words:
    "1974 Bermuda 40 Masthead Yawl sailboat. Purchased in 2013 from the original owner. The sailboat was used by a family run charter company. Since purchasing it, it has undergone extensive exterior renovation, including a fully restored fiberglass hull, refurbished brightwork, restored deck, replaced chrome hardware such as cleats, lifeline hardware, and fixtures. Masts, rigging, and one set of sails intact. The interior has been removed in preparation for a new fit out. See included photos. I bought the boat with the intention of a full restoration, however, following a move out of State it is a project I haven't been able to get back to and unfortunately have to sell this beautiful Hinckley. I think it would be a perfect winter project for an avid Hinckley fan. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you for looking!"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Sailed on them years ago - great boats

19633500GT likes this.
  3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    These are solid, and that deck looks great. Man this is a good opportunity for the right person

19633500GT likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I will be going on February 3 and visiting the boat for many more details, and photos.

just a heads up if anyone would like to join.

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Great boats. Included in every list of "most beautiful sailboats". I've been thinking of getting one for years to keep in the BVI. I'm not a "buy a boat project" guy,... but GLWS.

6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thank you!

(FWIW, being a "buy a boat project" guy is never advised haha, but hopefully someone would spend $60-80K, and have a $200K boat after "busting out another thousand" many times over here :)

I forgot to add,
    to any interested parties, the owner, Melissa, is offering $5,000.00 USD down, and owner financing for @ 3% interest (yearly terms can be discussed)

7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Great boat, reasonable price. I'm not on the Great Lakes anymore otherwise I'd be interested. You might try contacting Hinckley, they might be interested.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Cool listing. I always thought of Hinckley as a power boat picnic cruiser manufacturer. Found out this summer that they started out in sailboats like this. GLWS

9. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

A Hinckley is just about the only fiberglass boat that will hold value over time. Even a boat in this condition still has a commanding price compared to its peers.

10. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

There's something wrong with these pictures, there are two different boats here. One has the cabin in wood the other has the cabin in glass with different window layout.

camchain likes this.
  11. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Good eye. The first image looks to be of a different boat. Passed this along to a friend. These are absolutely gorgeous on the water.

12. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    David and George. You guys seem to have picked up on something I completely glazed over (can you tell I know nothing about boats yet?). I looked at the photos again and have the same question...They absolutely appear to be different. I called Melissa tonight, she said she's just been the check writer, and hasn't even been down in person (lives in MA now) to see it, and I asked about the windows, which make no sense, because they are different in those two photos.

Either way, I'm going to get to the bottom of this, as I'm headed out to take more photos and finally see it in person next weekend.

I'll post those results up here when I get home.

Sorry for the confusion, and no malice meant here, just an honest mistake.

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The 2nd photo is the Hinkley - the first one is an older I believe wood boat

islandoc likes this.
  14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Its also a sloop in the 1st pic, not a yawl

15. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    islandoc likes this.
  16. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Cam- beautiful boat. What a sailboat should look like.

islandoc and camchain like this.
  17. islandoc

islandoc Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    Wisconsin/Bahamas
    Full Name:
    Marc P Binard
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Lean that sucker any further and you're going to need catamaran ropes.

islandoc likes this.
  19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Damn cool, don't know my way around boats and live at a lake. I do see myself living aboard a boat in an exotic location...that seems like a sweet way to go. Warehouse somewhere close by to house cars :D

Just dreaming...

EarlyCat likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Seriously, that's a great picture. You're cooking with gas there. Do you have any crew? Or are they hiking out on the other side?

islandoc likes this.
  21. islandoc

islandoc Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    Wisconsin/Bahamas
    Full Name:
    Marc P Binard
    Yeah, I lived aboard Water Music for a year in the Out Island of the bahamas- then moved ashore.

22. islandoc

islandoc Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    Wisconsin/Bahamas
    Full Name:
    Marc P Binard
    Then built a large garage for da toys!

Mang likes this.
  23. islandoc

islandoc Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    Wisconsin/Bahamas
    Full Name:
    Marc P Binard
    10,000 lbs of lead and a bronze board 12 feet down eliminates need for hiking out. Frequently single handed on short passages but not on long ocean trips- the n crew of 4-6 .

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Rublinehunter

Rublinehunter Rookie

Nov 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Is this boat still available?

QUOTE="19633500GT, post: 145770903, member: 97993"]Hey FChat. My friend has asked me to list her Hinckley for sale, so here it goes (I'm not a super knowledgeable boat guy, so don't fry me, but please ask any and all questions, and I'll get you an answer).

The Hinck is located in Voluntown, CT, and if you'd like to come see it, get in touch with me and we'll set up a time for a serious party.

The asking price is $47,000.00 USD, or Best Reasonable Offer
    (apologies on the poor photos for now, but this is what I was given, until I can get up there person)

In her words:
    "1974 Bermuda 40 Masthead Yawl sailboat. Purchased in 2013 from the original owner. The sailboat was used by a family run charter company. Since purchasing it, it has undergone extensive exterior renovation, including a fully restored fiberglass hull, refurbished brightwork, restored deck, replaced chrome hardware such as cleats, lifeline hardware, and fixtures. Masts, rigging, and one set of sails intact. The interior has been removed in preparation for a new fit out. See included photos. I bought the boat with the intention of a full restoration, however, following a move out of State it is a project I haven't been able to get back to and unfortunately have to sell this beautiful Hinckley. I think it would be a perfect winter project for an avid Hinckley fan. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you for looking!"

View attachment 2489334 View attachment 2489335 View attachment 2489336 [/QUOTE]