1974 GT4 2+2 or 1966 Shelby 350GT | FerrariChat

1974 GT4 2+2 or 1966 Shelby 350GT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 3500 GT, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #1 3500 GT, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    I've been looking at both models. Both "bucket-list" cars. I've found two very good candidates. I'm not in a position to buy both cars, So which one first???

From a "market" perspective;
    From a "drivers" perspective:
    From a "mechanics" perspective;
    From the "practical" perspective;

I've been leaning toward the 365. Price points are about the same at $80K USD

I have the ability to do my own mechanical work on both cars.

I am wondering about other members thoughts.

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    At Atelier Automobile, both cars are being serviced next to each other! At first sight I would say maintenance on the Shelby would be a lot easier and cheaper as there is lots of room in the engine bay and spare parts are also likely to be less costly. You could also count on numerous upgrades for the Shelby. For the rest, the brakes and chassis of the shelby are from another era: the 400 cars do handle very well even in so-so situations whereas my mechanic told me the Shelby is horrendous with the big engine. The 400 is a luxury car, the Shelby isn't, this shows in the build quality of the interior. In a traffic jam, the 365 air conditioning (with r134a) is useless (400 & 412 are better due to the additional cooling fan). As far as the bodywork is concerned, both cars are gorgeous... Finally the lady will appreciate the refined 400, maybe the kids would vote for the muscle car.

Also bear in mind that a 365 carb is quite a bit of an animal, whereas the later 400i (gen2) and 412 are much more easy to handle. So if you want a muscle car with a prancing horse, maybe the 365 is the way to go, but personally I would say the later evolutions are cheaper, do handle better and are more comfortable (less noisy, better dashboard covering, better seats, better seat belts, and a bit more of air conditioning).

That's a very personal and biased opinion, so take it for what it is worth...

3500 GT likes this.
  3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #3 2cam, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Without a doubt, the Shelby. Crude, iconic, and legendary!

I love Ferraris, but from the criteria that you listed:

From a "market" perspective - Shelby Mustangs are legendary and sought after. They will maintain their value much more than a 365 2+2.
    From a "drivers" perspective - V12s are incredible. V8s are awesome. The Shelby is smaller and would be more fun to drive (at least to me).
    From a "mechanics" perspective - The Shelby has simple, straight-forward mechanicals with endless upgrade options if you choose to go that route.
    From the "practical" perspective - The Shelby will be easier to use and less expensive to maintain.

To me it seems like a no-brainer. Of course, in High School, I drew more 911s and Shelby Mustangs than any other car. ;)

2cam

3500 GT and wrxmike like this.
  4. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    As a former 412 5-speed owner, I'd probably vote for the Shelby although I have never driven one. Are you saying you can buy a 1966 Shelby Mustang 350GT for $80k? I thought they were more like $125k. If I can get one for $80k, I might need to consider selling something to make room for one.

5. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ^ This^

3500 GT likes this.
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day 2cam,

You make some very good points. However, I would suggest that "3500GT" drive both and make his decision. I say this, as I sold my 60's muscle (67 Chevelle Factory SS396 4 speed) car as I forgot how primitive the 60's cars were. I am a bit of a stickler for originality, but after owning my Chevelle for while I was looking for some "reversible" upgrades to make the car less primitive... suspension for one, etc. In the end I decided to sell the Chevelle and focus my energies on finding and eventually buying a 365, as it seemed to have the right mix for me... old school analog, carbs, nimble, and although over 40 years old it is not primitive in nature at all.

From a "market" perspective
    - A much larger market for the Shelby and so would be potentially easier to sell if one wanted. As to valuation... hard to say. The car market is a bit fickle.

From a "drivers" perspective
    - Depends on what you like. As I mentioned above, 60's muscle cars have so-so suspensions for going in a straight line... around curves... well, not so much. Personally I much prefer the sound of a Ferrari engine and especially the V-12 with carbs over any 60's muscle car engines. However, this is subjective and caters to one's tastes.

From a "mechanics" perspective
    - Yup, Shelby will be much easier to maintain, repair, etc. Secondly, there are far more mechanics to service and repair the Shelby as compared to the 365. These days finding people who actually understand Webers and multiple Webers at that can be challenge. If one is unable to service their 365 and/or does not have a shop that knows their stuff, then the 365 will be a problem.

From the "practical" perspective
    - Does one really consider practicality when buying an old car and especially specialty cars like the Shelby and 365? I guess it would depend on one's definition on practicality.

As I said earlier... best is to try and experience both and decide which one makes the heart beat faster.

Cheers,

Sam

3500 GT and Il Tifoso like this.
  7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    +1000

These aren’t necessarily rational choices...

Ruben

3500 GT likes this.
  8. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I have owned my 1966 Shelby GT-350 for almost 40 years. We used to race it years ago and it is currently undergoing a complete restoration. When it comes to replacement parts.....virtually everything is available and can be bought for a fraction of other collector car parts go for.

In regards to how it drives......we had to do a lot of suspension work to get it to handle at high speeds and hard turns. As with most things, restoration tends to remove those things to get it back to the stock form. Still, in stock form.....it was fun to drive and easy to work on.

I paid $1,400 for it 40 years ago and will probably spend 20x that on the restoration.

Il Tifoso and 3500 GT like this.
  9. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Thanks very much to everyone that has responded.

I know it’s ultimately my decision as to what “I” like, but it’s very helpful to have input from owners of both these cars. I appreciate it, thank you.

The Shelby needs restoration, as does the Ferrari; but less so on the Ferrari .

I may grab the Shelby, but it seems there are less 365’s available that are decent drivers, than Shelby’s......

I may go with the Shelby for now...and keep an eye out for a 365...having a Carrol and Enzo in the stables would be a treat!

It’s good to know that I’m not alone in my passion for both cars @INRange comments made me appreciate the F-chat community even more = I’m not alone!

Grazie!!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You could also purchase a less sought after 400i and have both horses in the garage...

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not sure if you've driven both. I'd get the 365 over the 350. I'm probably biased but I think the 365 is the best of the 365/400/412 series of cars because it's more old school (some might say more raw) then the others.
    Here is another thought. The GT 350 is a collectible car and is priced accordingly. You could buy or build a GT350 clone for less than a real one.

12. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Remember. The 350GT is still just a Mustang.

Chuck

13. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
  14. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    If they didn't have Shelby's name attached to them they would be just another Mustang. I was working for one of the Ford dealers that was a Shelby Cobra Dealer when we were selling these and most of the 350GT buyers were just Cobra wantabes that couldn't afford a real Cobra.

Chuck