1974 365GT4 2+2 Convertible Conversion Chassis 17675 on Ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1974 365GT4 2+2 Convertible Conversion Chassis 17675 on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dogdoc97, Oct 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree. Most convertible conversions lose all of the visibility all around that the 400i is known for with a huge solid panel of cloth in the "C" pillar position and the very high "pram look" in the top down position.

This one has neither and is the cleanest version that I have seen. Well done!

2. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Joe is the owner of Concours Automotive in La habra; he has been taking care of the car since 1995; owned by an heir of some famous tire brand( maybe he said wilson) in Cali that went under years ago; husband died and she came to Joe to sell since he kew the car. The hubby bought it at auction. Joe the tech sold it to the current owner. He believes the conversion was done in Germany and he did some registry detective work to try and verify miles.

Now he, Joe the tech has a good rep on this board under the southern cali section.

He tells me the front timing case hs been weeping for as long as he has serviced the car AND Would NOT SPEND THE MONEY TO pull THE MOTOR AND FIX THE GASKET ETC

He was open to any inspection; he trained under Bill of Enzo Motors in Cali who was also recommended for a ppi in Cali; ironically neither one of them was ever factory trained ...do not know if this should be a concern. Both have been F mechanics for over 30 plus years.

I just would worry about that leak; I mean at some point its got to get worse; he says its a drop or so after every run of the car; leakdown etc for sure I would do. He said th last guy was very anal and even he did not do it' engine out and about $6-7K, comments please. HE offered to pick me up at the airport and come look at it; he kept stressing how nice the car is and nice the top job was done and folds very nicely Doc

3. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If it really only leaks a "drop or two" after any run or even more than a few drops, you can buy a lot of motor oil before you come close to exceeding the cost of an engine out fix of the leak.

It may not be pretty on the garage floor but that may be the practical reason why the PO decided not to fix the leak.

4. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I knew you would throw some common sense my way...Doc

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Doc, it looks like you are somewhat interested in these cars. The thing to remember is if you want a carb/5spd car here are your options. 365 GT4 2+2 approximatly 17 in North America. 400 GT 5spd, 3 in North America. If you don't care about the carbs and just want a 5spd you can add about another 35 400i cars.

While I wouldn't recommend buying a basket case there are limited options. Something as minor as an oil leak should not deter you from buying the car. Just keep in mind any of these are not cheap to own/operate and you will most likely be upside down.

Just my opinion. I think these are great cars and decided to get one even if from a financial stand point they don't make sense. As winter rapidly approaches where I live I put my car away a couple of weeks ago and miss driving it already. And yes, I have a ton of projects to do on it this winter, but it's still worth it.

6. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I am still drawn to the lines of these cars! Doc

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Paint that car SERA blue and it is the most gorgeous convertible of that serie.

8. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I see the bidding closed on this one on October 18, and it sold to a bidder who had entered the winning bid of $33,800 on October 12: six days earlier. This was a strange auction. On October 8 the top bid was $18,000. One day later -- nine days before the end -- it was $32,888. The bidding stalled for seven days, and finally there was one small advance to $33,700. Then the winning bid showed up, but post-dated by four days. I don't know enough about eBay to have any understanding of this chronology. But I do conclude that there was in fact only one person who was actually willing to part with $33,000+ for an eBay 365GT4 2+2 custom cab with an engine swap.

Here is the bid history that showed a one-day run-up of $15,000, five days before the bidding ended:

w***l . . . $33,800.00 . . . Oct-12-13 18:33:27 PDT
    e***n . . . $33,700.00 . . . Oct-16-13 23:11:39 PDT
    h***t . . . $33,500.00 . . . Oct-16-13 21:29:53 PDT
    g***y . . . $32,888.00 . . . Oct-09-13 20:09:03 PDT
    1***6 . . . $32,100.00 . . . Oct-09-13 22:56:54 PDT
    g***y . . . $30,888.01 . . . Oct-09-13 20:08:49 PDT
    g***y . . . $30,888.00 . . . Oct-09-13 20:08:37 PDT
    m***m. . .$25,000.00 . . . Oct-09-13 20:00:19 PDT
    k***m . . .$24,000.00 . . . Oct-09-13 02:37:12 PDT
    w***w. . . $22,555.00 . . . Oct-08-13 22:42:50 PDT
    k***m. . . $22,000.00 . . . Oct-09-13 02:37:00 PDT
    m***d. . . $18,000.00 . . . Oct-08-13 22:18:55 PDT

9. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I wasas going to bid but could not get my money moved in time; I thought it might go hire and then it stalled as you noted and never moved again....my experience on ebay is that usually there is some last minute under the wire increases; perhaps no one else thought it was worth this much, I really do not know, Doc

10. 45exc

45exc Rookie

Nov 8, 2013
    How come this one only has 4 tail lights instead 6,like other 365's? The rest of it looks really sharp and the top is awesome IMO, I think it's worth it?

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #36 samsaprunoff, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Tlm1956 recently posted that 17675 was for sale at GLB Motorwerks in St. Louis:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143251977-post1.html

I called the Dealer today and was told that the asking price is $55K USD... Wow, what an increase considering that this car "sold", ahem, in November 2013 for $32K USD...

The Dealer seemed to know the car pretty well, although they stated that they had the car for about a year... which does not quite correlate to the info and/or past Ebay auction. This error could have been a simple mistake by him or a mistake within the Ebay ad (which states La Habra, CA).

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I'll take "When is sold NOT sold?" for $200, Alex.
    I doubt it actually sold to anyone not associated with the dealership, since it didn't reach the desired price. The "buyer" was a "non-pay" or "backed-out" as far as ebay knows.

Enough time has passed that most won't remember the previous auction, which is why your tracking of them is a good idea.

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    This car is mind-boggling on more than a few levels.

1) I agree, this is the best looking cabriolet conversion I've ever seen on these cars. Amazing.

2) If it's a 365, they why does it have a 400/series 1 400i dash in it? It's not the 365 mousehair.

3) Where is the original carbed 365 motor? Probably in some P4 replica somewhere? :)

4) 400/400i nose, 400/400i tail lights.....hmmmm....400i mirrors......

If makes me wonder if this is simply a series 1 400i that was cut and had the 365 VIN and knock off hubs attached to it. That would explain the engine, the dash, the nose, the tail lights......

Hmmmmm.....

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    17675 was originally painted Verde Medio Niyinsky with Beige VM 3234.
    Assembly sequence #251, Pininfarina Body #247 GT.
    Delivered new to official importer Auto Becker in Düsseldorf, Germany.

Marcel Massini

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #40 samsaprunoff, Mar 10, 2015
    Good day All,

Just adding Documentation...

I did not notice in past auctions... but in this one there are some high res pics which show some interesting details:

a. The Console switches have been changed... I suspect because of the rear quarter windows now being movable/electric. Also two additional indicators located just above the gear shift.

b. The door panels and seat backs show perforated holes for speakers/vents, as opposed to the plastic grills used in the parts manual and also to what I found on my car

c. Underneath looks pretty clean. Some of the suspension rubbers are dry and cracking, but that is almost to be expected given its age.

d... the biggie (outside of the obvious... engine, convertible, wheels, etc)... I do not see any areas of chassis stiffening. This would concern me...maybe it is simply not shown and/or where I would expect it?

Cheers,

Sam

Ferrari Other 2 2 | eBay

Current Bid: $10855 USD (17 Bids - 6 Days remaining)

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #41 samsaprunoff, Mar 20, 2015
    Good day All,

Back on ebay...

The last auction did not meet reserve with the last bid at $58.1K USD...wow... To me that is strong money for a car that had some very major modifications. Has anyone seen this car in person? I ask, as I am still very curious how they strengthened the body when they cut the roof, as I did not see any frame bracing, etc from the pics provided.

Cheers,

Sam

17. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Bidding pattern looks legit to me! :rolleyes:

18. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I am sure because I was bidding on it and in direct contact with the seller and unexpectedly went into the hospital on November 6,2013 for heart surgery and was unable to complete the deal; what a jump! Dogdoc

19. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The chassis rails in the pictures are not oval shaped anymore. It looks like it has had steel welded to them & they are now squared off.

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Al,

Thank you for pointing that out. I will have to look closer.

Cheers,

Sam