1974 365GT4 2+2 Convertible Conversion Chassis 17675 on Ebay | FerrariChat

1974 365GT4 2+2 Convertible Conversion Chassis 17675 on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dogdoc97, Oct 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, I cannot get a link here BUT there is a 365 2+2 ad that says its convertible top and "400i" motor were installed in the '80's...the plate shows a 365....what was the original motor that came on a 365 and what kind of conversion is this?

I assume unless you just like the looks it certainly is NOT a matching numbers etc original car which I would think would make it less valuable down the road? thnx, Doc

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #2 samsaprunoff, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just documenting these cars, as they come up...wow... They cut the car and replaced the 365 engine (with carbs) to an injected 400...

Not to sound nasty... but when they say "no stories"... are they kidding? Cutting the car and replacing the complete engine assembly is not a story?

Cheers,

Sam

Ferrari Other Convertible | eBay

1974 365GT4 2+2 Convertible Conversion
    Color: Red Exterior with White Interior
    Mileage: 27453 Miles (?)
    VIN:
    Chassis: 17675
    Auction (Reserve): $22655 (current bid - reserve not met)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day DogDoc,

I missed your post and just started on with this car as the title...

As for your questions... The original Motor would have been a 365 engine with those wonderful carbs :)... This engine was the precursor to the 400 engine which was first carbed then later injected and is what is installed in this car.

As to the modifications and their affect on the car's value... well...this will be seen by the market. To large number of people heavily modifying the car in this nature usually results in a car worth less than the same model in comparable condition. By how much will depend on a number of things (i.e. are the mods reversible and make economic sense... or maybe the mods will be attractive to a particular buyer, etc). In my case because I really want (and love) carbs I am not interested in the car and so the car's valuation to me is very low regardless of what was spent on the car.

Cheers,

Sam

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 Ashman, Oct 9, 2013
    If the OP is talking about a Queen Mary 365 GT 2+2 with a 400i engine, then it is a very different engine than what was originally installed.

The Queen Mary had a 4.4 liter engine like the 365GT4 2+2 but not the 4.8 liter engine of the 400i. However, it was a 2 camshaft Type 245 engine with Webers instead of a F101 AC 4 camshaft engine with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection in the 400i.

Most noticeable visible difference is in the camshaft covers and in the positioning of the oil and air filters. This is a page from Keith Bluemel's Original V12 book:

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  6. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I love the conversion and the other mods (except the fisheye stick-on mirrors). But no way will this car meet reserve. With $58,000 in work, plus a purchase price of $20,000 or so, the seller has got to know it's major take-a-bath time. The bidding is extremely unlikely to exceed $30,000. Is that extra space in the garage really worth a $50,000 loss? Is the seller reconciled to accepting a loss of this size, and has he/she set the reserve accordingly? I doubt it. It will be interesting to find out.

7. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Okay, so at least it is a 365GT4 2+2 convertible conversion and not a Queen Mary 365GT (no 4) 2+2.

8. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is one of the cleanest and slickest top down storage positions that I have seen on this series. Most of the tops are pretty high in the top down position.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Here is my opinion, they already cut the roof off! That's a pretty big mod compared to swapping in a very similar Ferrari engine, after all were not talking Chevy small block. Probably when the injection is set up correctly the drive ability is probably better than the webers. Sure the power will be a little lower and the sound not quite as good but it's still a Ferrari V12 with a 5 speed. I think these cut cars look really good with the top down and not as good the the top up. Just look at the prices of other Ferrari V12 convertibles. The unknown in this situation is how well the conversion was done.

I can honestly say if I didn't already have a 365 I would seriously consider this car, especially if I lived in a climate more suitable to a convertible.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I can seriously say if I didn't already have one of these money pits I'd be all over this car. :) Hard to tell from just some eBay pictures but it does look really good.

11. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    #11 dogdoc97, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    I do like it alot but am one of those that thinks if I buy it now it may take awhile to sell it down the road,the mods likely make it a limited market to sell to I would think... and can anyone tell me how significant this oil leak is at the "front timing case" since I have no clue what that means. Doc

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

It looks like this car is going to sell, as the reserve has been met... The current bid is $32200 USD.

Cheers,

Sam

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Looks like a crappy investment but if it was done right, I bet it would be a fun car.

Regards,

Art S.

14. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I've never seen a $10,000 run-up in the bidding in one day, and with six to seven days remaining no less. I don't follow eBay a lot, so I have no sense of how things play out. But this sure looks like some shill bidding. Isn't it possible that, at the conclusion of the auction, the seller could contact the second highest bidder and tell him/her that the deal with the auction winner fell through, and now the seller is willing to sell to the second highest bidder for the amount of his/her last bid? Does this happen?

In other words I'm very suspicious of a one-day run-up of 50%/$10,000, with so much time remaining on the auction. Not to mention that $32,200 is way out of line for a customized, non matching-numbers '74 like this. If you want a really fun and powerful car that you're going to take a hit on at trade-in time, in the mid to high $30k's, there are many better choices in the late model new and used car market.

15. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    A pal of mine has wanted one of these for a while. My thoughts on 400s are they are seriously appealing-I prefer the angular look, it's sharp. Investment/smart buy? Well, it's a quickly aging V12 Fcar. Any mods, engine work (new engines!), deferred maintenance etc are all going to count against you if you try and sell it. 'Investment' can't be part of the justification with these as with most Fcars. Get the car you really really want because you don't actually need it. Chain timing belts...hmmmm...buy it and drive it!

16. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    'Shill bidding' is par for the course with eBay (my opinion) and there's no way to regulate it. Has anybody ever actually bought or sold anything for more than sat $20k in a totally clean transaction?!!! eBay really seems to just be the initial connection point for a few parties then all bets are off

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    38.5k. It was offered by a car dealership though.

18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Putting the cost/originality/resale value/ebay issues to one side for a moment - this is a very pretty convertible.

All of the others I've seen have that "pram" look about them with the roof down - this one looks so much better IMHO.

If it drives half as good as it looks I think it'd be a great car to own.

19. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Fantastic treatment of the top, and agree that it looks so much better than the "pram" (great comparison) profile. It would be tempting......
    5- speed.....knock-off BBi wheels.......LOTS to like about this one.

Shame about the red, though....and the big rectangle DOT reflectors.

20. mgsamman

mgsamman Rookie

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle / DC / Dubai
    Convertible top looks good, but does it seal properly? It looks like they used a BMW 3 series convertible set-up. That's good because it actually works!

21. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I am clueless here folks, as the ad states there is a leak that has been there forever? thnx!
    Doc

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If memory serves correctly, to fix this seal you need to pull the engine, even then it's tricky to get right. That said, if it's only weeping, then you can call it Italian rustproofing :D

If you are serious about the car, spend the money on a really good PPI. it's worth the money in either justifying taking the plunge or saving you from a bottomless pit.

Regards,

Art S.

23. pricebill

pricebill Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    #23 pricebill, Oct 11, 2013
  24. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    You know what ? I think you could very well be right !

25. mgsamman

mgsamman Rookie

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle / DC / Dubai
    That's what I said :)