For Sale - 1974 246 GTS Dino w/17k miles & King Hussein / James Kimberly Provenance | FerrariChat

For Sale 1974 246 GTS Dino w/17k miles & King Hussein / James Kimberly Provenance

Discussion in 'Cars' started by GLENN@TEAM AI, Jul 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Offered for the first time in nearly 30 years is a very special Dino that has been out of the public eye for decades, having resided in a large private collection and never being publicly shown. SN 7916 was purchased by King Hussein of Jordan and given as a gift to Jacqueline Kimberly as appreciation for her hospitality when he would stay at their Palm Beach mansion. King Hussein would later purchase the residence from the Kimberly’s, while they later made national headlines in a high profile divorce that became tabloid fodder sensationalizing a jet setting Palm Beach lifestyle full of sex and drugs. Links detailing these exploits and occasionally referencing Jacqueline’s white Ferrari and King Hussein are below;

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/jim-kimberly-ferraris-and-other-race-cars.116642/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.obituaries/sDjNXsR3hKI

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1986-01-14/news/8601030920_1_jacqueline-kimberly-james-kimberly-mrs-kimberly

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-03-15/news/9203121080_1_palm-beach-kennedy-house-william-kennedy-smith/4

All the while, SN 7916 resided 3 miles north of the Breakers until the Kimberly’s sold her in 1982. She still wears a “Palm Beach Polo” sticker on her windshield and it would only be fitting that her next owner debut her to the public on the Cavallino show field at The Breakers.

As for that debut, minimal effort would be needed to get her ready since she enjoyed a cosmetic restoration in the late 80’s and since then has been stored in a warehouse for the last 30 years, having only covered approximately 200 miles. Consequently, the restoration has held up very well over the years, with the interior still looking exceptionally clean due to periodic leather treatments of the tan Daytona seats and a lack of sunshine damaging the new carpets and dash. The re-paint in the original Bianco white is in great condition along with all of the rubber seals, which must have been replaced at the same time. There is no evidence of rust anywhere on the car except on the heat shielding of the exhaust headers, which has a few holes worn through only the shielding. The muffler itself is NOS and appears to be original and in excellent shape. The car has all of its original glass, as evident by proper date codes underneath the etched “Securit” symbols. The wheels have the proper “Dino” script versus the earlier E series “FIAT” markings and appear original, having never been refinished as some of the original paint is flaking off in some areas. A new set of the proper Michelin tires were put on the car about 5 years ago and have hardly any miles on them. A blank radio face plate has been installed in the dash, but the car has been wired for a radio as evident by the original Hirschman antenna, still sporting it’s original sticker on the motor.

From a concours perspective, there are a few areas that would need to be addressed, with the biggest one being a lack of smog equipment that originally came on US cars. Additionally, the car no longer has its Dinoplex AEC 103 A ignition, having been replaced with a modern unit for better reliability. A battery cut-off switch would need to be removed and an incorrect drivers side mirror replaced. The lower dash also appears to be original and exhibits the proper patina and color of worn mouse hair, versus the upper dash having a hard, smooth vinyl appearance. The lock is also missing over the three chrome pull levers for gas, engine and trunk releases.

Mechanically, the car was never neglected and was started weekly with repairs made when items needed addressed. This included making sure all systems worked, even the air conditioning system, which does not need recharging and blows cold. All fluids were changed on a regular basis and C12 was used as a fuel to avoid any degradation of fuel system components. Evidence of the benefits of this are that she still has her original fuel pump (with the original “BCD” sticker) and she fires right up with no evidence of carburetors "sticking or gumming” up. Any evidence of oil or coolant leaks are addressed as they occur, and although not concours correct, some oil lines have been replaced with Aeroquip braided lines. The coolant header tank has also recently been replaced as well as the starter motor.

The car comes with a set of original Neiman & Torino keys (including the small “VV” glove box key), books, tools, jack, the spare wheel / tire, the targa cover, and copies of all titles documenting a chain of 3 owners since new.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am representing this for a client who wishes all communication to go through myself. I am familiar with Dinos, currently owning GTS SN 04004 (RYNOSHARK’s old car) and having judged the class with Matthias Bartz at Cavallino. I am also starting a new venture with Ferrarichat sponsor Automotive International of Charlotte, hence a new Fchat name of Glenn@Team AI, so don’t be alarmed by this being a first post. I have been a member here since 2011, having owned multiple Ferraris and posting under GBUTLER. However, now and in the future, if I am representing cars for clients, I will post in the commercial section under GLENN@TEAM AI.

I will close with a little “tongue in cheek” comment as a a courtesy to Fchat readers ——YOU DON’T HAVE TO PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL FOR THE PRICE!!! —— it’s 375k OBO, but you do have to give me a call if you want more details on this amazing car.

Glenn Butler
    704-962-9683

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

RyanFoH, 360Tom and blkdiablo33 like this.
  2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

3. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Thank you for posting the asking price and not have everyone go through hurdles to get this info.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A knowledgeable and trustworthy seller, best of luck with the sale Glenn.

RyanFoH likes this.
  5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 msdesignltd, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Beautiful Car, white dinos dont come round often!
    If you think you will win clients by stepping on others...that dont work...
    Imagine trying to settle an issue with an attitude like that!

Mike settles all issues, even if it costs him!..IMO...poor taste insult!
    You lost my vote!
    GLWS

6. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I see your point and with hindsight probably should have left that out. Each of us has our own style of selling and mine is to be up front and open about everything —- (and with that last comment I am not trying to imply that Mike is not!) really just trying to be a little light hearted and not so serious, but can see your point as it really doesn’t add to the advertisement. So if Mike or anyone takes offense about what could be considered a little dig, I apologize in advance! Best to just focus on the cars, after all that is what we are all here for!

7. Lovedmydino

Lovedmydino Karting

Feb 16, 2014
    Gorgeous. GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    Some people really have no sense of humor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanFoH, cgt000, jimpo1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

10. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    I think it was an unnecessary dig, and Glen acknowledge as much. I had some dealings with Glenn earlier this year, and I can say that he is a fine gentleman. I'm also close with the person who the dig was for, and I don think he took offense to the statement.

11. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Hi Guys , Glen and I are absolutely fine!! He is a good guy !! he actually called me and we spoke , all is good , no worries life is short !! Let's all love each other :) PS his Dino looks Sweet!!
    Mike

RyanFoH, halr75, absostone and 2 others like this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sweet ride. My dream car in high school, but I could only afford an X1/9. :)

GLWS!

Oh, and I remember when nobody wanted Dinos and they were circa $20K!

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Beautiful car and interesting history, glws!

14. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Thx for the interest so far. I have received one "wholesale" offer so far - buy it now before it gets retailed out or shows up at auction! Owner is willing to listen to any and all offers, but no trades.

15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    what a lovely car....
    makes me sad I'm short a couple hundred thousand!

16. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Car has sold! I think we will probably see the car make it's debut on the show field at Cavallino, but not sure if buyer will have car prepared for January of 2019 or not.

Glenn

blkdiablo33 and VColin like this.