1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 Chassis 17143 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 Chassis 17143

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Brett,

My apologies for my misunderstanding.

Adding to the list of cars sold and for sale...I forgot about a 1972 Blue 365 (Chassis unknown) that was sold this Spring in Belgium and it had an asking price of 22K Euro. The car is now for sale in Germany with an asking price of about 25K Euro. This looks to be a solid original car and so I would suspect the car will need some attention.

Cheers,

Sam

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Simon,

Thank you for the update!

Cheers,

Sam

3. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #28 Brian420, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    all the best Sam !

brett

5. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Chassis 18231 is very tempting......veeeery tempting.
    Does anyone know any further details regarding this car's history?
    Are those real/original Borranis? how much hurting the Red Crackled paint on the valve covers can do to its price? radio is awfull too. anything obviously not OEM items to you guys experts?
    I think I will be calling Mr. Overstreet tomorrow. The 82 308 needs company.
    many thanks.

6. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

worth 10-15k alone?

7. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    [

You are quite correct in that the market will determine what the current price is... I know I am out at this current price... I would rather spend $14K more and get one that has been already refreshed (paint, interior, mechanicals) in a color more appealing to me... Or spend $16K less on a driver needing some attention and spend the $$$ needed to bring it up to where I would want the car.

Cheers,

Sam[/QUOTE]

Hello Sam
    Agree the market price for unrestored cars will be determined by the market but you wont get a sorted car for $14k more or by spending $16k less and restoring assuming you would be close to this ones selling price at the finish of your '$$$'

To give you example 'some attention' can easilly be a full engine rebuild and in the UK at least this will cost £20k or $30k dollars!

More or less regardless at these prices you are only at a starting point I would be prepared to bet that it is impossible to get a truly sorted engine running gear paint interior car which will have to have been properly restored for less than $120k and if you were wanting perfect then the price would go in to the stratosphere.

By the way mine is less than perfect but I cant afford so doing as much as I can myself good luck with the searching.
    Regards
    Alastair

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    + 1 more:80000Klm full books etc,$80K,in Melbourne.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Alastair,

I disagree with you in regards to your following comment:

There are at least two cars I am aware of in Europe that have been sorted as you put it for roughly 40K Euro... The relative term is "sorted"... What yardstick does one use to measure this term? To clarify for 40K Euro you get nice paint (not a full repaint), a new interior, and a refreshed engine (heads, valves, bearings, etc)... certainly not a full nut and bolt restoration, but a very nice car car.

As for my original comment about spending less and doing some resto work a "lesser" car and your response being:

Sadly, you misunderstood my point because I failed to detail my rationale for the statement I made. My point was/is that I can buy a lesser car and restore it to the standard I wish. If it was inferred that by doing so would be in the same $$$ value of 17143 then this was not my intent and in fact doing my "refresh" would most likely exceed the price of 17143, but... (1) I will know what has been refreshed/restored, (2) The refresh/restoration to the level I dictate, (3) on my schedule... so I can choose to restore the car over time and/or with yearly budget constraints, and (4) I can select the colors most appealing to me.

In regards to 17143... I have never seen or inspected the car and so I have no basis for knowing what if anything the car needs. However, how the car is and was presented to me (original car that has been maintained) I suspect that the car will need some items given the car's age... Even if the car has been maintained what about the rubber in the suspension? What about the exhaust integrity? What about the brake system? There are far too many subsystems that will most likely need some attention and this translates to $$$. Thus spending mid 40's on this car is an entry point and so my comment about buying a lesser car for $16K less and bring it up is appealing to me, as I will probably need to do similar work to 17143.

As for full restoration costs... Indeed the costs can be staggering... but also quite variable in terms of who does the work and also what work I choose to do myself... Secondly, there is no guarantee that spending big $$$ gets you superior quality...

At the end of the day, everyone has their own perspective on what these cars are worth to purchase today... However, I am sure that we do have a common consensus in that we all appreciate them for the beautiful cars that they are!

Cheers,

Sam

10. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    considering that Stan (Open Roads) has seen and driven the car, i think 17143 would be very well bought at the proposed selling price.

for one reason or another, it's inevitable that you end up into one of these cars for $60-70-80K or more if you own it for an extended period.

thankfully, the price of admission makes it possible for many of us to own such a fantastic machine.

11. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #36 3500 GT, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    Some "guy/Stan" drives the car, so it must be worth the inflated asking price?????

12. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hello Sam
    Understand yes I think your identified Euro 40k cars will be very good, From your definition you would be right on the mark.

On the second point the idea of spending less and then having the advantage of controlling the outcome or even being part of it is a very good idea, one that I would prefer personally, like you say even the 'relatively' expensive cars ie 17143 might (will) require $$$ so no argument really I think you have explained fairly that you know what you might be getting in to! and that is a beautifull car.
    Regards
    Alastair

13. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    hmm, ok...i don't really know what to say to that...other than that you've missed the point altogether...but i don't think that's it, is it ?

anyway, it seems that you have an axe to grind where this car is concerned and while i have no interest in engaging that, i will attach Stan's 'qualifications' for you....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=44692

and add his earlier thoughts based on the time he actually spent with the car...

maybe, like Stan, you've got some real knowledge of this car and, if you do, please share it...otherwise, it just's anonymous internet noise put out there by some "guy"...

know what i mean ?

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If I may interject, I think what Brett is saying is if you keep the car, drive it and maintain it the costs add up. You can easily have 60-80K into one of these cars. I’m not talking about the person who buys one to fill “owning a Ferrari square” and drives it for a while and then sells it, often with a lot of needed repairs and upkeep, and moves on to something else. The person who really keeps their 365/400/412 in top condition is so upside down it’s not even funny!

15. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    No I don't really know what you mean.

"Stan" drives the car and your opinion is it's worth the asking price, which has increased three times since it's initial offer.
    I beg to differ.

This forum is here exactly for this kind of discussion.

I've got no axe to grind. You?

16. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    You're SO right it's not even funny !

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Hey Jim, i hope all is well.

you know though, being upside down is an almost universal Ferrari ownership condition and certainly not exclusive to our cars...only very fortuitous 'timing' makes it otherwise.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ok Mr. Racer (or can i call you 'Gent' ), lets discuss it...what can you tell me about it ?

19. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #44 3500 GT, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

What would you like to know?

Maybe you could elucidate why you feel this car in it's current condition is worth $46,500 USD, as you stated it was.

I don't see the value there.

There are better examples for similar asking prices, and they don't have the "bloody dictator" ownership history either, not to mention a non-original color change.

IMHO

20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #45 brettski, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    i suppose the first thing i'd like to know is if you've inspected or driven the car...or even seen it ?

secondly, based on what i see in the pictures and my experiences buying, owning and repairing many of these cars, that the asking price is entirely reasonable.

Stan's first hand account only serves to further support that...for me, that is...but probably for a bunch of other guys too who frequent this catagory.

finally, i very much doubt you could find better overall value...but feel free to provide evidence to the contrary, especially if you've got some first hand knowledge of it.

by the way, my name is Brett...yours ? why not join in for real ?

you know, i'd like to pose a question to those who actually own 365 GT4's owners out there...

do you guys, who've bought, owned, driven, repaired, driven again, etc., think that the car in question represents poor value at the $40K + asking price ?

21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

Fair enough "Brett".

I dissagree with your assesment.

Have a nice day.

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Brett,

To me this is not a fair question, as there are too many intangibles and the price you refer to is in error. For example, the listed price is $46.5K unless you have other information. Would the dealer sell it for less? Possibly, but we do not know what this value is. So, the question should state this $46.5K value.

As for the intangibles...to me how can one truly assess the car's value without a thorough PPI? Stan's viewing and test drive is indeed helpful, but does not give us enough detail about the car's specifics... like body/frame integrity (i.e. any rust?), exhaust integrity, brake system condition, engine leak down values, compression, etc.

Lastly, everyone will have their own "yardstick" as to the car's valuation. To some this car may represent great value and to others maybe not. There is no right or wrong valuation, simply because it is so person and car specific.

Cheers,

Sam

23. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Mate,compared to Aussie where we have 5 north of that figure including a $99,900 one at a dealer,you're looking pretty good at that price,irrespective of the previous history.

24. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    hey Sam,

i beg your pardon, but "fair" has absolutely nothing to do with it...

it's a question, nothing more or less, for the guys who own these cars.

i'm asking for opinions, not unlike the one you just gave me...what role does "fair" have in that ?

25. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i could not agree more !

i think $40K USD is very reasonable money, provided that a personal inspection or PPI (as Sam mentioned) backs up the 'face' value...but that goes without saying.