1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4 for sale | FerrariChat

1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4 for sale

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by swift53, Sep 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    No relation:

1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4 -

Sounds like a marvelous car, yet, I could not help but smile at the engine description ;)

Regards, Alberto

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I think you forgot to include a link: 1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4

By the way, this is chassis 15649, which belonged to F-Chatter "blue c4" in 2004 and was being offered by Fantasy Junction in 2009.

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You are correct El, I copy posted from another thread and it did not go through as intended.

Nevertheless, what a Pandora's box!

Regards, Alberto

4. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Certainly not worth $200K.
    Had one for 15 years. Engine rebuilt 3 times by same shop before they got it right. These are NOT easy cars to work on. Everything about them is complex and difficult to fix.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really like this car. However, I don't think I can justify another Ferrari purchase at this moment, unfortunately.

6. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    After 50 miles a broken wrist pin. I remember reading a while ago that there are quite a few Chinese copies of parts around, pistons etc. Since those usually come with wrist pins, that could be the case here. That makes the whole rebuild suspect unfortunately, apart from the damage undoubtedly incurred to the engine.

Cool car and color combo.

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If one (Chinese) wrist pin broke, and why would a 'professional' use that?....the slap against the head, valves, cams, followers, must have been sensational, then the rod went about probably knocking the starter motor out, then the crank, then, then...

Just might need another engine, or worse. How can one justify the asking price? 90K tops.

Regards, Alberto

8. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Some people use them because the parts are available, cheap and it does not say "Made in China" on the box. And many people tend not to think about such risks.
    I am not saying that is what happened here, just that I remembered reading about them. Newly rebuilt is always a risk as new parts are not immune from failures, far from it in fact, as any FMA engineer will be able to tell you about failure curves and the lot. The installer can forget or incorrectly install those damned wrist pin clips, or the piston manufacturer can have a bad design or batch such as JE had a decade ago: J&E Piston failure - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
    Indeed the block may well be a total-loss, a broken wrist pin can easily lead to a cracked cylinder wall or cylinder base, distorted crank, cylinder head etc.

It is one reason I like used cars and engines - if an engine has already gone 100.000 miles, it's got a great chance of another 100.000.

9. Herky

Herky Rookie

May 16, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Schmitt
    If that car was for sale today for $90k I would wire money to the guy ASAP. That's a polite way of telling you that you are way off.

If the car needs a rebuilt engine $200k is right on par. And quite frankly the engine work concerns could possibly be overblown. Getting a nice color C/4 below $300k all-in is a pretty darn good deal.

10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can buy a very well sorted C/4 for well under $300K. The days of $300K+ C/4's are gone. All you have to do is look at the numbers on recent real-money sales on vintage Ferrari's. I know 'cos I am trying to sell one.

11. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    And Monterey had 3 C4's up for auction w/ high bid of 275k on two cars and 200k on the other. None of the three sold.

12. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Kumar's site listed as sold....as was/is the silver/red '81 512bb
    FJ listed 99k '09

What is the current price ratio C/4 vs Daytona gtb/4 and what has it been historically?
    Has it narrowed.....or widened? Thanks for the info,

Jack

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Historically, C/4 is about 50% of a Daytona. Depending on where you think Daytonas are, that seems to be holding, more or less.

14. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    It is one reason I like used cars and engines - if an engine has already gone 100.000 miles, it's got a great chance of another 100.000.[/QUOTE]

C/4's are great car touring cars - mine has gone 101,675 miles and counting. A friend took a neat video of the odometer turning over to zero while we roared through the Catskills this summer. Car runs great and only let me down once when the drive shaft coupling broke - just plain wore out. I wonder how many Ferraris have gone past 100K miles anyway?