1972 Dino 246 GT #02768 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1972 Dino 246 GT #02768

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinolvr, Dec 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    reading the ad, it says that it has been mechanically been rebuilt which i am guessing is the reason they show photo's of the "old" parts that were replaced.

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #27 tx246, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here are a couple of photo's of my august 73 manufacture dino. it was delivered in switzerland in late 73. by late january/early february of 74, it was impoted into los angeles, ca.

the sidemarkers were added for importation reasons. they didn't leave the front euro markers, but rather just cut the hole larger and fitted the us spec markers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    and for those of you that are really bored, i cam across this video on youtube.

it is my dino, before it became mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY0AxQtWrw

you can clearly see the lighting configuration

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    also notice the bumbers, they don not extend into the grille area, but rather stop just before.

some euro cars have bumpers that extend in and some don't. does anyone know what delivery areas caused the differences in spec?

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jason - thank you for the additional pictures and your explanation. If I understand correctly, the price sought is based on the car's originality...that is, unpainted, and somewhat in original condition.

Would you please comment on a few items that I note.

1) - the Dino GT badge on the back seems to be too high and too close to the brake light on the right. Might this be a result of a repainting and putty that filled the original holes?

2) - The antenna seems to be in a place that I have not seen as an original placement.

3) - The toggle switch in the trunk in proximity to the right hinge is a nice featured added by someone likely not to have been of Italian descent.

4) - The solid spoke steering wheel is likely a MOMO, but not likely an original Dino...my experience with, perhaps, 15 Dinos is that they have either holes or slits.

5) - The manufacturer's chassis plate is quite attractive. I suspect that as in item number 3 above, that the author of such plate did not have many vowels in his last name.

6) - The tire pressure and load plate is also unique and quite creative in its design. How many letter punch sets did this fellow have in his tool box?

7) - Oh, the outside rear view mirror is rather original. Just not original for a Dino.

8) - And, of course, the added benefit of chrome interior screws on the door panel, I assume, comes without additional cost. I assume that these panels were removed to inspect the originality of the inside of the doors.

9) - I can't comment on the original pattern in the seats, as I do not believe that there is anyone alive that has seen this kind of Dino seat pattern before.

10) - And yes, the door striker plate on the driver side, you know, the one that holds that rather attractive manufacturer's plate, is absent the original 4 holes that were placed there at the factory, you know, by the guy with the many vowels in his name. I can't imagine that this Dino came with an extra set of door striker plates without holes, hence, someone must have had the striker plate off to fill the holes and paint it.

I guess I will stop now. Not for lack of additional, attractive, one off modifications offered by the factory in this original car, but because I think the point has been made. This is not an original car. And gee, yes, we on F-Chat should forgive and forget that the price on this car is based on its rather original condition.

This car, of original provenance, has been rather molested during its 35 years of existence. It is about as original as your suggestion that it is original. Now, please forgive my sarcasm. I have a rather profound affection for those from South Florida, having been born and raised there. So, as a brother of the swamp, please do not try to con a con'er.

As a suggestion (like you really want to hear any more from me), sell the car as it is. A 35-year old Dino that has great potential, in good (not great) shape, and a great project for someone who wants a driver and over time can put as much effort and money into bringing it back to an "original" condition.

I am just having a little fun...please...it is not personal. It's a about a car.

Jim S.

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I can comment on this one. I refer you to the interior photo in my post #20. I can assure you that the steering wheel is the one that was on the car (#07412) when it was picked up at the dealer in London in the spring of '74. I was there.

7. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd be happy to, and I'll try to keep my sarcasm slightly more tongue in cheek than you have. I've been very open to hearing comments and critiques from various posters, and have been, at least to my mind, quite gracious in answering questions, taking constructive criticism of the car and its condition, and asking questions to help understand the car. Our writeup, advertisement, and overall sale of the car has come from the advice of those we trust who have looked at it as well as our own observations, and as we learn more, we will amend the writeups to suit. We can't all be model specific savants, so as a dealer who handles a large volume of marques spanning a long period of time, I can't research the factory original state of door panel screws for every car I have. With that said, unlike others here, you have not helped, you have only flexed your "knowledge" like Hulk Hogan in a "Dinomania" shirt, so let me comment en masse on your points regarding the originality of items that are quite obviously not original to anyone who takes the time to look. If you took the time to read our writeup, you'd have noticed that we are not suggesting the entire car is original, far from it. We didn't even suggest that all the paint was original, noting very clearly that the door had been painted. However, we have spoken (as I've already mentioned) to a Ferrari body guy here who looked the car over and gave us his assurance that the rest of the paint was original. Subsequently, while it is entertaining, commenting on the volume of vowels in the last name of someone who created a dataplate (presumably for importation compliance) seems a bit petty to me. I have a hard time believing that you really thought we were suggesting that the data plate, tire pressure plate, et al were original, I think it more likely that you are focusing on obvious items of minutia for a separate reason...you could have a car for sale, could be trying to buy a car cheap, could have any number of horses in this race. For all I know you are one of the many people who has called us and is trying to buy the car, and could be using a public forum to try and devalue it to strengthen your negotiating position. So if you would like to comment on the car other than relatively minor items such as mirrors, screw materials, and ignition components, etc, please come see it.

With regard to your suggestion that the price we are asking is based on originality, I beg to differ, I'd have asked the same amount for this car regardless of whether I was told the paint and interior was all original or not. And I'll be happy to wait to get it, though I don't think I'll have to. Dinos don't seem to be going anywhere but up in price, so picking holes in the originality of things like the ignition system and door panel screws doesn't impress or concern me. Particularly in light of the fact that, with a series of MANY pictures, we have shown that we are aware (and promoting) that not every part and parcel of the car is original. I think that addresses the bulk of your points regarding the originality of the car. Anyone who is local, as I've said before and will say again, is more than welcome to come, see it in person, and offer an opinion. As noted, I will be amending the comments about the interior to reflect that it is not as original as we had been led to believe.

Jim, with all due respect, it is personal, particularly the puerile way in which you handled it. I'm not here to fleece anyone, yet here you are making deliberate and derogatory comments on insignificant issues for what seem to be the purposes of devaluing the car and undermining my character. I'm a dealer, I sell cars for a living, it's how I pay my bills, so when anyone, out of some sense of misplaced internet righteousness or self serving agenda tries to take money out of my pocket, I tend to take it a bit personally. There are a number of people here who have bought cars from me in the past and I've always been up front and forthright with what I know and what I don't. I don't BS people, if you ask a question, I'll answer it, and if you show me where I've erred, I'll correct it (again thanks to dinodan and wspeer). Maybe it's just how I was raised, but I've never been called a con before, and I certainly don't appreciate it now regardless of your history as a 'brother of the swamp'. I could certainly have forgiven the sarcasm itself, but the underlying vitriol stemming from what I can only assume is a secondary agenda is a bit much for me to forgive.

Respectfully,

Jason

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jason - well said. I accept your criticism, it is quite well articulated, and I apologize. My comments were tongue-in-cheek, and I realize that I overstepped.

The catalyst for my comments were the discussion of originality. Nothing more. I am not in the market for a car, nor am I trying to influence the price. In fact, owning two Dinos, I hope you get a fortune for the car.

Enough said...by me.

Jim S.

9. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Jim, apology accepted - and please don't think that I want to be an ostrich with my head in the sand with regards to learning more about the car, it wasn't that at all, it was the tone and timbre of the critique that got under my skin a bit because it really came off as if you felt I was trying to mislead potential buyers. I hope that more people don't read the ad this way, which was the impetus for the vehemence of my reply. I do appreciate your follow up, I take my credibility and reputation very seriously, and I'm glad we both had the opportunity to clarify a bit.

Jason

10. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jason,

Your forgiveness is appreciated. Where in South Florida are you?

Jim S.

11. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oakland Park, just south of Prospect on 6th Ave. Look us up if you're going to be in the area anytime soon, I'd love to meet you and let you take a look at the car; you certainly seem to have a wealth of knowledge so I'd love to have you take a look in person and hear your thoughts!

Jason

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That was the shortest YouTube video I've ever seen.

13. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Were these lids a feature of early cars only? I've never seen them.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i just caught that, that should read without a lid

early cars didn't have door pockets

15. dino_246_gt

dino_246_gt Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    NL
    Full Name:
    Petra
    #40 dino_246_gt, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting car... thanks for the pix!
    It gave me the opportunity to learn more about my own Dino.
    With serial no. 02782 it was not that far down the line from this one... so I finally got to see how the nose should look like. I believe mine (02782 at the left) has the little air intakes in the lower front bumper whilst it shouldn't (02768 at the right). Both have the bumpers "disappearing" in the grille.

Thanks!

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nice first post! The setting for you car (on the left?) is interesting. Can you tell us more about the location, etc? Is that a Maserati Merak or a Bora just behind it? And the cars under the covers are interesting too. What is the car in the middle of the photo above your car (missing a door)?

Mark

17. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My Euro GT #2840 was imported in the mid 70's and has what appear to be the same black rectangular side markers.

The number plate is interesting in that at first glance it would appear the car was first sold in the German market. Except that whoever stamped it up apparently didn't know that "Fahrgestell-Nr" means chassis number and stamped the Type in that box again. Then it has US specs stamped in small font on top of those.

18. dino_246_gt

dino_246_gt Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    NL
    Full Name:
    Petra
    Thanks Mark!
    Yes my first post... I found this forum via the Dino Register, as I am trying to find out more about my Dino's history (any hints?).
    Anyway without going off-topic too much (as this topic is about car #02768 really) - the setting of the picture of my #02782 is at the dealership where I bought her last year. I'm just about to drive off :)
    No idea what the other cars are, sorry, the dealership has a wide range of cars: Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Alfa's, Maserati's, Iso's, everything Classic and Italian. They still have three Dino's for sale as well. Website: http://www.maranello.nl (sorry Dutch only)

From their website I learnt they had two Meraks (one sold) and three Bora's so it could be either of those.

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just visited their website using the link you provided - a nice selection of cars indeed!

Welcome to FCHAT!

You'll find a lot of interesting information scattered throughout. Make sure to look at the Dino Restoration thread started by OMGJON, and the miscellaneous postings by John Corbani, wspeer, dm_n_stuff (including his sticky at the top of the Dino section), shaughnessy, synchro, 4redno, Gary48, gblue, ajmarton, and, well, there really are too many helpful posters to list them all. And, don't forget to check the archives.

Mark

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i am willing to bet that the reason we see the back markers is that the 308gt4 was the easiest part to pull off the shelf for either dealers or importers. other than one dino that was a us spec version, i hven't seen them anywhere else. the one dino that was a us spec version also had the bumpers and all other chrome anodised. based on that, i have to believe the markers followed suit. that dino was a light blue and on ebay earlier this year.

21. Gary Anzalone

Gary Anzalone Rookie

Feb 20, 2009
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Gary your books are not for 02768. The warranty book you show lists 05532. The confusion lies with the subtitle used in the Parts Manual n.68/72 which reads "Spare Parts Catalogue Valid from car 02768". This is a common mistake, people make a similar assumption from the subtitle in the Owners Manual n. 72/72 "From car n.02132". Hope that this is of some help to you.