1971 photos | FerrariChat

1971 photos

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Ed Niles, Dec 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #1 Ed Niles, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few shots from the 1971 Club Ferrari France/Bugatti Club meet at Pierre Bardinon's Mas du Clos. I'm assuming that you guys are even more into serial numbers than the Ferrari dudes (is that possible?) and will be able to id these cars. Enjoy!
    P.S. The next to last one is Jess Pourret and ? (I've forgotten his name). The last one shows Pierre talking to me (in the brown shirt).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wonderful!!

3. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    the first photos of the gp car is a t51...2.3 twincam... the other cars could be probably traced by the registration numbers.....trust me, the bug guys are really into numbers...the most interesting thing is that a gp car is actually identified by the motor # stamped at assembly on the crankcase arm....the engines were then installed in a chassis and then the motor had an additional "chassis number" stamped on the crankcase arm in the order of delivery...therefore the "chassis number" was really a sequential final assembly number..no numbers are actually stamped on the rails except a vendor # that has no association with the chassis or motor # as they were picked from a pile for assembly...what fun! as an example, if a complete rolling car was placed on your lawn minus the engine and gearbox there would be no way to identify it other than a vague year of manufacture...however, if a complete un-molested engine only was placed on your driveway, the exact car, date of delivery, and original owner could easily be determined. in the early days,mr bugatti had no actual factory race cars..three assembled cars would be pulled and fitted with the latest go-fast goodies, raced by the team and then returned to the factory, parts replaced and sold to a customer as a "new" car...:)

4. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    The Bugatti T51 2.3 l twincam with registration numbers NPC 244, it's châssis number 51146, ex-works & ex-Louis Chiron. 1st at the 1931 GP de Monaco with Louis Chiron.

5. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    hopefully still with engine #29.........

6. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    To my knowledge it still has the engine #29.

7. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005
    Ed,

2nd, 4th, 5, 6, 10, 11 and 13 pics show the attraction of that day T.51 # 51156/ eng.29.
    3rd pic is T.30 # 4532 of Jean Feray
    7th pic is T.57 # 57225 of Alain Spitz
    8th pic is T.57 # 57554`of Andre Gamet
    11, 12th pic is T.35A # 4766 of Dany Guidot

Next to last one is Jess and Philippe Vernholes, both developped the Club Bugatti-Ferrari France in the early 70's. Philippe had a 250 TdF and a 250 LM, plus a 250 special cab now with OscarDavis and a Bugatti T.44 and drove many T.35s.
    Good old time!

8. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    8th pic is T.57 # 57554`

Photos 8 & 9 are actually 57756

9. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005

No Sir, I do not agree: Mr. Gamet's car is a perfect matching number car # 57554, only the body is of his own design.
    # 57554 was born as an Atalante and bought new by Mr. Wagner in August 1937. It was a very rare aluminium bodied Atalante.
    When Bugatti agent Roger Teillac bought it from Marcel Wagner in 1938, he dismounted that body and put it on chassis # 57756, bought new by Jerome Medrano from the factory WITHOUT a body.
    Mr. Gamet was an industrialist and a personnal friend of Enzo Ferrari. He had among other cars a RHD 250 GT Passo Corto (old school, as everybody in France at that time was using LHD).

10. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Hello Patrick,

I do not have first hand knowledge of either of these cars. My answer re: 57756 is based on information held in the Bugatti Trust archives http://www.bugatti-trust.co.uk/photographs/v/album-18/338+D1154_25.jpg.html and Barrie Price's fine book "57 The Last French Bugatti". I believe that 57756 was re-bodied to an Atalante Coupe' prior to her sale at Retromobile last year. I do stand to be corrected however.

All the best,
    Ron Hetherington

11. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005
    Dear Ron,

57554/ eng. 397: new as an Atalante coupe.
    Atalante aluminium body put on 57756.
    Now a one-off cabriolet designed by his second owner, with matching number everything. Many people thought it was a T.101 body prototype, which it is not.

57756/ eng.53C: new as a rolling chassis.
    Received the used body of 57554 in 1938 and later the engine 20C of 57606.
    Now an Atalante coupe.

57606/ eng. 20C: new as a Stelvio cabriolet.
    Identity switched in the 50's into 57699. Engine 20C went to 57756.
    Now scrapped.

57699/ eng. 499: new as a Ventoux coupe.
    Identity switched with 57606, received Stelvio body and chassis plate.
    Now a Stelvio.

Hope it helps.

12. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Hi,

Could someone PM me with the present whereabouts of #57192 and #57735 (eng. #551)?

Thanks!
    -Peter

13. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Of course Phillipe V. Thanks! The memory's the second thing to go; I forget what the first is.

14. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Response received- merci, Patrick! :)

15. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name: