Wanted - 1970 series one Datsun 240Z | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wanted 1970 series one Datsun 240Z

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by LARRYH, May 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I now a guy who is just finishing up a nut and bolt resto on a 240. Orange and black. one of the last two years of the 240 which makes it a 71-72? I know he's spent lot of $ and he is paying close attention to OEM details but not sure how much he has into it, if you want more info I could get it.

2. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    Well, it did sell for $37k so the paints not a factor anymore haha.

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    great for him...... it is a very nice car but just wasn't what I was looking for but very close.....and thanks for telling me about it... glad he did get what he wanted for it....

Bthesixthree likes this.
  4. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    Yes, for sure. If the one the gentleman above is talking about doesn't pan out, let me know. May know of 1 more. Not sure if it's exactly for sale though haha

rdefabri likes this.
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I might get flamed, but I think $37K is all the money for one of these. You can find some nice ones under $20K, and while the Pierre'Z are interesting, there's no real gain you get from it.

My 2 cents.

Bthesixthree likes this.
  6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    thats my thought..

7. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    We said the same thing about E30 M3s 5ish years ago.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Yes and 5 years from. Now 240z maybe worth all the money who knows....
    Still looking

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Saw it but to wonky as you say

rdefabri likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I remember passing on a 1969-build 240Z a dozen years ago (low 3 digit build #). It was in pieces and I passed on it due to a move to Washington, DC for a job and no space to restore that thing. I followed a thread online of the guy that bought it and it ended up having more rust and prior damage than advertised and that guy ended up selling it anyway.

I've decided I no longer want a US market car. I rather have a RHD Japanese version the way it was made for its home market. Have you considered the same? The 432 Z would be killer.

Here's one that sold last year: https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AM17/Amelia-Island/lots/r169-1970-nissan-fairlady-z-432/418110

LARRYH likes this.
  12. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    The JDM cars are great. RM has a Fairlady Z homologation (240ZG) car at No Reserve at Monterey

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0023-1972-nissan-fairlady-240zg/686172

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This is a G-Nose car. Those were factory made, but dealer installed. You could get them in the US through their competition catalog (which I had and I wanted this nose BADLY), but it never caught on here other than in race form. If you look at GTU 280Zs of the mid 70's, they have the G-Nose option on them.

The G-Nose is fiberglass, but that panel gap on this car is atrocious. It shouldn't look like it's added on - it should be smooth. Be interesting to see what they get for it, the S30 Z's are heating up it seems.

I believe this car sold for $60,000 at Hershey in 2016. That is REALLY all the money for a Fairlady, and this isn't a Z 432 (which will go for well over $100K): https://www.sportscarmarket.com/profile/1972-nissan-fairlady-zg

LARRYH likes this.
  14. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    These are cool cars. A girlfriends brother in high school had one. White with black interior. He had beautiful after market rims and exhaust. He totalled it, hitting a guard rail (apparently riding it) at 120mph. The interiors and dash layout are one of the most beautiful, and driver/racer oriented in automotive sports car history. If the 240 had the steel plate shift grid of a Ferrari like design, that simple touch would make them worth many more times their current value.
    It looks a lot like a Enzo era 2 seater Ferrari, even similar to the 550. Good luck with your search Larry for a beautiful car, but I think you will appreciate your 550 a lot more once you get your 240.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I am not familiar with this G nose .. i will likely see at the auction in acouple of weeks
    Not sure that i like it but worth the look...
    As you say no match for any ferrari but i would not expect it to be...
    Liked the original 240 it came out as i was starting to drive and at the time sold great in fact sales could not keep up with demand the first year or so....
    The right one would be a fun little car..

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm a big fan of the 240Z as well. Looked at many back in the early 80s. The problem then and now is rust and how was it repaired. I know they have gotten some big money for a few, but I think $25K should get a very, very nice driver. Back then, I wound up with a TVR Vixen.

LARRYH likes this.
  17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Agree that rust is a big problrm with any of the old Japanese cars.. i am sure i will find what i am looking for and probably would pay more then 25 but it would be anice car...
    I missed a very early car a few years ago he wanted 70k which was and is more than i want to pay....

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The G-nose was a JDM feature only. You could get it in the US from the NISMO catalog way back when, unlikely it was popular because you didn’t see it often.

You need modified hood hinges to install the G-nose or you’ll damage it (it’s fiberglass IIRC). It adds about 11 inches to the length of the car, so it there’s a significant change to the overall look.

I’m not sure you can get a G-nose anymore as an aftermarket piece. Cool item if you can find one!

LARRYH likes this.
  19. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Super cool cars. A buddy of mine has a 240 with a 350z engine swap. It moves.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LARRYH likes this.
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    and then theres that saw one of them advertised ... pretty nice car .. but right now not what I want .. but it would be cool

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
  22. grnwood10

grnwood10 Rookie

Aug 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lennard Rand
    I like the color though.