For Sale - 1966 Ford GT40 - Street Legal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1966 Ford GT40 - Street Legal

Discussion in 'Cars' started by AMG USA, Oct 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I love the vigilance and insightful comments this community provides. Regarding the price discrepancy, I suspect there is a miscommunication between the parties trying to sell the car; which isn't good for trying to sell this beast.

2. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    Ok guys. First of all, for those that do not know, if this was a real original Ford GT40, the price would be around $10 million.

2nd. We are not a broker. The car is sitting here in my showroom available for inspection.

3rd. Not all Superformance GT40's are created equal.. There are a big range of options, including engine and transmission. So when comparing prices, make sure you're comparing Apples to Apples.

4th. Whoever of you that said the car can be purchased for $170 or below is flat out wrong. It you were offered this car at that price, it was without authorization. Having said that if any of you commenters are actual buyers, We are always happy to receive offers on any of our cars.

Finally, when did FChat become Rennlist, where a sponsor cannot list a car without comment and criticism? I thought we were better mannered on this forum.

carguyjohn350, LARRYH and armedferret like this.
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've been looking at Superformance GT40's for a few years now. The MK I with a small block, fuel injection and modern brakes is the way to go if you want to street it. The big blocks are just over the top. Honestly, they scare me to death. You can get driven and sorted MK I's for about $125K-$140K. There is a famous tuner who is known for making these cars much better than they come from the factory, but his name escapes me at the moment (I need more coffee). :)

This would be a car for a collector, I think, as it's a special edition. Would be a fun if terrorizing ride.

carguyjohn350 and INRange like this.
  4. Steve328

Steve328 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2009
    Canada
    Dear AMG,
    No problem on the first three points. On the fourth OK. But, on the last point you might be mindful you’ve listed on a chat room style website; one that many of us appreciate. Participation and contribution by members are encouraged. There might be learning points within those postings that are beneficial for the community that participates. Perhaps there are some errors as well. If you’re posting then you are participating in the FERRARICHAT experience. Other websites provide less or no participation. I’ve checked out the other one you mentioned for Porsche related issues and find it useful too. BAT can be brutal. AUTOTRADER is mute. I’ll continue to enjoy what FERRARICHAT serves up.
    Steve

ROMO, cairns, adc and 1 other person like this.
  5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Dennis Olthoff

LBBP and G. Pepper like this.
  6. Joe Dozzo

Joe Dozzo Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Canon City, CO
    Full Name:
    Joe Dozzo
    Nice car but for this kind of money I'd rather have an 05/ 06 GT with some miles on it.

ROMO and Jakuzzi like this.
  7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Had you responded sooner, there would have been less speculation, at least IMHO.

ROMO, carguyjohn350 and slm like this.
  8. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    You are already offering the car to people for $190kish, why don't you just list the real price you want and be forward about how you acquired this vehicle. If you bought it to resell it awesome, no one will fault you for that. But to have priced all over the place and not being honest on the acquisition of the vehicle is a major turn off.

ROMO, carguyjohn350, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  9. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    To be clear, this car is on consignment. Its has been priced under direction from the owner. We had a frank discussion today with him regarding values and are lowing the price to $199,000.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

They lowered the price just around your budget!

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Street legal and will pass smog in California?

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Has the car been titled?

What transaxle was used?

Thanks.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same question for me.

14. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    The car is street legal. I cannot guarantee that it will pass CA smog. It is on an open MSO and has never been titled. The original build from Superformance was $197,475. It has an RBT ZF 5 speed transaxle.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  15. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    In some cases, people have these cars registered as 1966 vehicles. In that case, I believe it would be smog exempt.

16. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    I just called Superformace. They said that the car can be exempted in CA under rule SB100 so it does not need to pass smog. They have someone in their office that will do it for you.

17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, the titles of the Mk I's I've seen are all 1965 and Mk II 1966. They are considered continuation models and are also allowed on the registry. So, they should be smog exempt.

18. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    More info on CA SB100, they only allow a certain amount a year. Now it has been 5 years since I filed for a SB100 exemption but some years these are all used the first week of the year. Some years there are some left throughout the year. You can call the DMV and ask.

19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Bummer. I really like this car. It is very well done and tics all the right boxes. Unfortunately, I have to tap out as getting this car titled in MO would require way too much time and too much pain and suffering. :(:(:(

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Why give up so easily? There are now quite a few of these titled and running around. Contact Superformance.

New ones have been titled continuously for years now. How hard could it be?

carguyjohn350 and JSinNOLA like this.
  21. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Register it in Montana, will take 10 minutes.

amenasce likes this.
  22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Been there, done that. I have had two previous SPF GTs. Hard enough to do with a titled car in MO. Untitled car here in MO would take at least 6 months and in the meantime the cars sits.

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Not sure I understand the complaints about Rennlist- did you even advertise this car there?

24. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Beautiful car. GLWS. I hope the consignor gets a ton of money for this.

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    that will do it .. and truthfully part of the value in buying one of these used is IF it is already titled ...

slm and G. Pepper like this.