1963 Ferrari 250 GTE California Spyder | FerrariChat

1963 Ferrari 250 GTE California Spyder

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by bwshihtzu, Dec 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
    Aint she a beauty? What does everyone think? I wish I had whatever the asking price was

1963 Ferrari 250 | EMG

2. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Very nice (for a recreation). It is probably hughely overprised. And somebody will still buy it.

3. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
    It was very cool to learn more about the history and skill behind the restoration. Thanks for posting. Any idea what the asking price is or the realistic price range given the skilled craftsman and man hours involved?

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This car, like all replicas, has issues, but I cannot understand why they would have the driver side fender vent installed crooked.

It looks like the vent didn't get formed correctly and they offset it to adjust.

I have no idea how they haven't spent a couple of bucks to make this look right for the money being asked.

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    That thing is just another destroyed 250 GTE.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    3707 GT was born as beautiful 250 GTE 2+2 in Grigio Fumo exterior color and with a red VM 3171 leather interior, completed 24 August 1962, delivered new to Chinetti Motors.
    So sad to see another one destroyed.

Marcel Massini

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't have an issue with people modifying their cars to suit their tastes. I prefer my own cars to at least look stock, but I've seen some really cool modified Porsches and I love the mods Steve McQueen made to his NART spyder. There was a thread by "omgjon" regarding a Dino restoration he was doing where the previous owner had made some racing style mods to a 246gt. I didn't like the interior but the exterior looked pretty cool. he'd pulled the bumpers, put on headlight covers, etc. It looked cool. I'm also quite sympathetic to spyder conversions, and would be very happy to drive a converted Daytona spyder.

That said, I've never felt comfortable with Ferrari's that are rebodied to look like totally different Ferrari's. It always has the air of desperation to it, and I always feel like I'd feel sort of like a fake driving one...but that's my personal opinion only. No offense intended.

The 250 GTE is a very cool car in it's own right, and while California's are beautiful cars, I have to say that I don't find them THAT much more beautiful than a Daytona, and honestly a bit less lovely than a 275GTB. I'd rather have 5 other amazing vintage Ferrari's than one California Spyder.

Either way, to me this car is now a kit car. A kit car made of all Ferrari parts, but a kit car nonetheless.

8. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I would love to know the asking price as well... not that I could afford it... :)

9. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I agree. It is so distracting to see that vent sloping..

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #11 peterp, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The sloped mounting of the vent is made worse by the fact that the vent itself appears to also be more asymmetrical than the original, making the top slope even more radical. The driver's side also seems to be more sloped than the passenger side. As stated, it's very surprising that they didn't fix that since it's almost impossible to look past that issue to even see the rest of the car.

(copyright for second picture: Gooding & Co.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #12 kare, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    I would be very careful when determining what is "the correct" or an incorrect position for a vent or another decoration piece. There have been a few silly original cars and unfortunately most of them have been "corrected" in restoration.

technom3 likes this.
  12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Look at the trunk lid of 0197EL before and after restoration.

john

13. Azzurhyp

Azzurhyp Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2004
    I inquired about this car well over a year ago - asking price was $1M. I believe it's been "for sale" for years.