1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint, FL, 44.9k | FerrariChat

1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint, FL, 44.9k

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by craterface, Jun 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    #1 craterface, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint 1600

Link to 83 photos:

http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/scottcrater/library/1963%20Alfa%20Romeo%201600%20Sprint?sort=2&page=1

“The Swedish Rally Car”

This Giulia Sprint was delivered new to Sweden, where it remained until 2014. I purchased the car and imported it myself. It has a clear Florida title. It is registered and driven on the the road. When I bought the car Hunt Automotive in Ft Myers performed an extensive mechanical refurbishment. Rick Hunt has been in the Alfa business for over 20 years, after the local Alfa dealer closed and transferred all their tools and spare parts to him. Rick has rebuilt motors on two of my four Alfas and done extensive work on them all, and he knows his way around vintage stuff.

Complete rebuild of top and bottom of motor.
    Pistons, bearings, valves, etc. Rick can describe the build to you. All parts were new, except a good used head was sourced, since the old race head was machined for oversized valves. The new engine parts came from Spruill in Georgia.
    Car came with a pure race head, hot cams, and a larger carb, but these were changed back to a more streetable setup. I have all these racier parts if you want more power.
    New Clutch and throwout bearing.
    New alternator in place of generator (which I have).
    New radiator.
    New Water pump, thermostat and hoses
    New Weber carburetor with electric choke
    New throttle linkage
    New battery
    New side mirrors
    New rear suspension limit straps and bump stops
    Previous owner had upgraded to Classic Alfa red suspension
    Rear brakes renewed.

Car also has period Marchal driving lamps, although not connected at the moment IIRC.

Total invoice was $14, 575 for work done in 2015

The car starts easily with an electric choke, runs well, stops well once the four drum brakes are up to temperature, and steers well. It is not too stiff for the street. Runs cool even in 90 degree Florida weather.

Lights and signals work. The tach, speedo, and oil pressure gauges work correctly. The accessory gauges are hit or miss. There is a welded in full cage, FIA approved, with racing seats and five point harnesses.. Seats are perfectly comfortable for street use. The harnesses are a couple years expired so that for track use you will to purchase new ones.

The car was approved by the FIA in 2010. It was approved in Europe for hillclimb, race, and rally. The car was owned and rallied by Gunnar Dackevall, an automotive writer in Sweden, and then by Henrik Paulsen.

My plan was to track the car and possibly vintage race, but my three kids are still too young and I have too many tuitions to pay at this point.

The car retains its street interior and dash. I have a set of restorable stock Sprint seats if one chooses to go that route. I also have the exterior trim around the front and back windscreens. The front and rear glass has been replaced and is in very good condition. The chrome and aluminum trim is all there and in fair condition. The center grill has a few dents in it, the rest of the trim is pretty straight. The paint is of very mediocre quality, a little better than Earl Scheib, but not much. There are cracks in several spots, especially on the hood. There are some rust bubbles around the rear windshield and a few dents in the floor pans from rocks. There are also some questionable spots in the little valley where the trailing edge of the hood rests.

The passenger door fits poorly, but I am going to try to have that addressed this week.

The gearbox shifts pretty well, no second gear grind but you must shift slowly and carefully. Reverse is not synchronized. The gearbox oozes a bit of oil since I changed to slippery synthetic and I have the car in the shop this week to replace the synthetic with conventional oil.

This car would be a hoot for events in California like the Targa California, Snowball Rally, Fault Line Rally, etc. It may also be appropriate for the Monte Carlo Historique.

It could also be vintage raced if you wanted something that was slow, safe, and fun.

Pictures of the underside are forthcoming. Car will be on the lift tomorrow for those photos.

Contact me via PM. Or, bmwproblem at yahoo dot com.

$44,900

Car is located in Sanibel, Florida USA zip code 33957. Stored in climate controlled garage.

Thanks
    Scott

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    May just be my phone. But when I click the link, it wants me to sign in etc. (no photos viewed)

Sounds like a really cool car though.

3. craterface

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Will try putting them in photobucket

4. craterface

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Really pretty car Scott. Wish I could make a purchase. GLWS, someone's going to have a blast!

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
  7. craterface

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
  8. craterface

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Just spent $3600 repairing some corrosion on the floors and rockers, and sealed bottom of car with POR15. So, the updated photos on anamera reflect that.

9. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    just reading as much about Alfa's from this era as I can. did this car ever sell?