1955 LIncoln Indianapolis--what collection was it in when found? | FerrariChat

1955 LIncoln Indianapolis--what collection was it in when found?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Dec 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was surprised to see this car at Pebble Beach a few years ago.
    It is a large orange car, Boano bodied. there is a picture of it in Car &Driver whose Frank Markus said: " This outrageous show car was built by Turin coachbuilder Boano, strictly as an in-house design study and to show off the company's body-building know-how. The chassis and running gear were from a 55 Lincoln. It was only ever shown at the '55 Turin motor show, where it caught Henry Ford II's eye. He bought it on the spot and had it shipped home to Dearborn. Not surprisingly, this car won the Postwar Custom Coachwork class."
    That story dispells my illusion that it was a Ford show car, though Ford was dealing with Italian coachbuilders then (the original Futura dream car was bodied by Ghia).
    But the good part is that it proves Henry Ford II was aware of Italian one-off cars , which may have led to his bid to buy Ferrari only five years later.
    I read somewhere else that the Indianapolis belonged to Errol Flynn for a time and then was in a barn fire and mostly destroyed and kept with a collection of 20 cars when found. What I'd like to know is: were any of the other cars of equal significance and was it a famous car finder that found it? It sold soon after display at Pebble for over a million dollars.

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Italian coachwork does not make it an Italian automobile and the American section is focused on muscle cars. The best place for this discussion is "General Automotive."

Thread moved and redirect left in Other Italian forum.