1933 Automobile Show Original Art - F-Chat NO RESERVE Auction! | FerrariChat

1933 Automobile Show Original Art - F-Chat NO RESERVE Auction!

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by so_choice, Dec 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 so_choice, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Offering a very unique item - this is a hand painted art piece produced by a talented student at an art and design school in 1933. The student's name was Robert Ray from Monmouth, Illinois.

The painting is likely copying an actual Automobile Show poster or program cover from the time (probably not the student's own design). However, it appears to be very well done. The car pictured looks to be a 1933 or 1934 Packard.

Measures roughly 11 1/2" by 14 1/2" in total. The image is roughly 7 1/2" by 12 1/2". Painted on a thin artist paper material - I am not sure of the exact type of paint or paper used.

The piece is in good condition for being over 80 years old - there are some pin holes, edge and corner wear, etc. However, none of this affects the actual image and the piece would look great framed or mounted.

THIS IS A NO RESERVE AUCTION AVAILABLE ONLY TO F-CHAT! Bidding starts at $75 USD including tracked shipping within North America (happy to ship worldwide at extra cost). Highest bid received by either post in this thread or DM will win it. Auction ends in 1 week at 8:00 pm on Thursday, December 15th.

Note that I have other material available from this artist, all done mid 1930s. If there is interest in this piece, I may consider posting more - some really great pieces on a wide range of subjects.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Reminder that this closes tomorrow - submit an offer if interested

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Any idea about where the Bureau Of Engraving one is from?

4. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately not - the only label is the one on the back listing the student info and date created (1936). It is probably copying an advertising or other image at the time but I am not sure. It's definitely the best piece in the lot and is very well done.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I don't know about the paint, but the paper is from Strathmore, a mill that is still in operation today, that produces acid and lignin free artist papers. That's the reason it's held up so well, it's on archival quality art paper that is resistant to yellowing due to it's acid free production.

As to the medium used on the paper, I have no clue.

D

6. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the info! They are remarkably clean for their age