18th Fchat Photo Contest 5/12-6/12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

18th Fchat Photo Contest 5/12-6/12

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by 4REphotographer, May 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    It's sh*t and should be shut down! :D

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Panoramas don't have to be stitched, I usually don't stitch mine and just crop a normal wide-angle shot.

4. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    "Panoramic photography soon came to displace painting as the most common method for creating wide views. Not long after the introduction of the Daguerreotype in 1839, photographers began assembling multiple images of a view into a single wide image. In the late 19th century, panoramic cameras using curved film holders employed clockwork drives to scan a line image in an arc to create an image over almost 180 degrees. Digital photography of the late twentieth century greatly simplified this assembly process, which is now known as image stitching. Such stitched images may even be fashioned into forms of virtual reality movies, using technologies such as Apple Inc.'s QuickTime VR, Flash, Java, or even JavaScript. A rotating line camera such as the Panoscan allows the capture of high resolution panoramic images and eliminates the need for image stitching, but immersive "spherical" panorama movies (that incorporate a full 180° vertical viewing angle as well as 360° around) must be made by stitching multiple images. Stitching images together can be used to create extremely high resolution gigapixel panoramic images."

I'd argue a crop of a WA shot is a bit of a cop out and not a panoramic shot.

Panoramic shots are typically shots wider than capable with a single shot/lens hence the name.

A cropped WA shot is still a WA shot meaning these are two different exercises is how to visualize, compose and complete a shot.

Call the rules as you'd like but I think cropped WA is not a pano.

5. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ok, but "true" panos aren't possible on digital since they are shot with special cameras.

http://www.dannyburk.com/linhof_617_s_iii.htm

I feel a cropped digital shot is closer than a bunch stitched together.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #31 msdesignltd, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    I thought a true panoramic shot, indicated the horizontal movement of either the camera or the lens aperatus..

OK . WE ON

I'm gonna shoot a panoramic pic of a panamera at the pan am building in panama city...
    I just hope it pans out for me!

Top That!

7. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #32 alfas, May 16, 2011
    yes they are...

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

&

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=digital+panoramas

for those that want to create digital pano's without the specialized kit.

I really disagree, cropping a UWA shot is little challenge in technique or composition. It reduces a Pano to little more than a aspect ratio as opposed to an effort to gain detail and FOV.

I'd have the winner call the rules so we are all clear on this going in...

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    DAMN! My mind is so fried (pan fried to be exact) :eek:

9. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Duly noted, don't use it. :D

IMO, a panorama is a wide view of something, people have different techniques for the way they shoot their images, I would just let the person do what they want because if it's a 'wide view' of something then that should be considered a panorama. :eek:

10. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    Seems we'll disagree on wide or UWA vs pano. Not sure why when you can consider a pano being close or exceeding the FOV of the human eye, less than that being WA or UWA.

A cropped shot is simply a cropped shot not a "wide view" which is what the challenge is to produce.

moving on.

11. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it's rather obvious that either apply, I see no reason that more thought is put into a stitched pano than a cropped. Take a look at the section on digital photography changing the way panos are shot.....changing the way.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:D_61TyqAfBcJ:www.photography.com/articles/techniques/panoramic-photography/+definition+of+panoramic+photography&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #37 F1tommy, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just one I took at O'hare this morning. I will try to get a better quality shot from the other tower in the afternoon. The building on the far right is over 1600 feet to the top of its antennas. A total of 4 over 1100 foot supertalls in the same photo. That's a United 777-222 on the left.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 2012
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #38 4REphotographer, May 16, 2011
    So this isn't a "wide view"?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Didn't realize panoramas were so controversial :D

15. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was always under the impression that a pano is multiple images (more than 1) stitched together.

16. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #41 alfas, May 16, 2011
    I did;

"Taking Panoramic Shots with Digital Cameras
    Digital cameras have changed how many photographers take panoramic pictures. With a digital camera, a series of individual pictures are “stitched’ or “segmented” together using an image editor that produces a panorama."

Not sure why we are still debating this.

That is a wide view or even UWA but I would not call it a panorama.

Which is used to get to a FOV closer to 180° +/- than WA or UWA can get to in a single shot. 14mm on a 35mm camera only gets you to 114° FOV which is well short of 180° +/- FOV that a pano infers.

If you want a wide angle competition than call it that which is fine. Calling a cropped WA or UWA single shot to get to an aspect ratio mimicking a pano without the higher angle of view I think is simply incorrect and not a "panorama's" competition.

17. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #42 blackwood, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Hah. You'd get my vote.

I enjoy wide aspect ratio photos, but not *too* wide (many of my early panos are what I consider too wide - they just look like a silly thin sliver when viewed). I've now started framing for 5:2 aspect ratio. If the scene dictates a little wider, so be it.

Soapbox - I don't really care what technique people use to achieve a desired result. If you want to defish and crop a fisheye, great. If you want to buy panoramic film, great. If you want to stitch, great. Personally, I use the stitching technique. Sometimes it doesn't work perfectly. I was never able to correct the top right portion of this image, much to my annoyance and disappointment: http://www.hypercontrast.com/Scenes/Panorama/11769714_fBEf2#1163871627_bnRAG-XL-LB. That's significantly more viewing angle than a fisheye, so even if I owned one it would have to be a stitched image. But I didn't capture it all correctly, hence the flub.

Hell, I've stitched images of things I could easily capture on my primary lens (24-105) by stepping a few feet back. But I often don't want people in my foreground, so I elect to get as close as possible, shoot multiple frames, and stitch them together. You can learn a lot about the technique in general by using it in... different ways. This one is three frames, but it would be hard tell by looking at the background curvature that it's not just a wide angle lens:
    http://www.hypercontrast.com/Scenes/Places-and-Things/11960394_AxUs9#1189787180_MxUkN-XL-LB.

I have stitched images throughout my website, but only a few in the "panoramic" gallery ;)

18. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    +1. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but it IS still a "panorama" if we stitch multiple images together and would be considered acceptable for this contest...right? :eek:

-G.B.

19. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Well, by definition, a panorama has a wide view. So if you stitch like in my above mastodon example, it probably doesn't qualify.

20. CustomFerrari

CustomFerrari Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
    :( no more pictures

21. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    LOL Maybe I should have just picked Trees or Landscape pictures! It might have been easier ha

22. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    This isn't about easiness :p:D

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #48 S Brake, May 28, 2011
  24. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Very nice! :)

-G.B.

25. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We are now officially into the final entry time frame, anything posted from here on out will be regarded as an entry.