Dino Saga 080217 _ Paint at 14 Months | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080217 _ Paint at 14 Months

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080217 _ Paint at 14 Months

Redid the paint at the end of ’06 and it has held up well. Thought I would take advantage of the sun and little wispy clouds to shoot some details. The PPG two part paint is fantastic. Took a good 6 weeks to really cure hard but it is like a rock now. The orange peel sanded out nicely and the polish got all the reflective surfaces that count. I had a neighborhood cat walk in the hollow of the left headlight and leave a few small scratches. This was while the clear coat was still soft. The other spots are from either road rash or my laziness at the gas pump. And the supermarket idiot from hell.

The low height of the Dino and the high gas filler makes it possible to park on the wrong side of a gas pump and just pull the hose across the sail panels. The problem is that you have to stand there and keep the hose and nozzle from touching the top of the left sail panel. I was distracted a couple of times and scratches appeared. Not too bad. Couple of deep scratches appeared on the rear trunk lid while in a Von’s Market lot. Some fool kid I guess. Front hood has survived very well. Just a few stone chips quite far up. The used front side light bezels and lenses look great. No sign of warping now that there is no pressure from the sheet metal. GT Car Parts came through again.

The worst wart on the car now is the rear view mirror. The chrome is bubbling and it is time to finally get it refinished. Speaking of chrome, the guy who did my bumpers was a slob. Left front is showing rust spots. I gave all chrome to the local VW shop for replating. They sent it somewhere down in LA. Took 2 months, lost and then found a piece, charged too much. Never again but now I have to find someone I can trust.

Doors look just fine. The lip seal I put at the bottom of the sliding windows works great. No parking rash so far. (Knock on wood). Rear of car stays clean now that the engine does not burn oil. I have to add a quart about every 2,000 miles. Used to be every 200 miles. Sweet.

Rinsed the car off by my back door and took a head on shot with the mountains looking pretty. Walked around the car and picked up details. Range of reflected colors is spectacular. Intensity goes all the way from black to white. I like Blue Metallic. Take a look.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wonderful color to display - very photogenic!

The chromer may have had a bit of difficulty as they apparently aren't easy to do for a Dino.
    I had Verne tell me at his shop (Verne's Chrome Plating, Los Angeles, www.verneschromeplating.com) that he has done the chrome (incl. bumpers) for platinum level Dinos and there isn't a lot of metal to work with.

BTW, all the local paint guys here are fully booked 1-2 years out and I've pondered having your painter do mine.

3. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    nice color..i notice you have eagle good year tiers...they make them for dinos,or the size is close enough.....MO

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Not Goodyear. Kumho on 16" wheels. 205/55 in front, 225/50 in rear. Gotti wheels are 8"wide in front, 8.5" wide in rear. Feel pretty good.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    John,

I have found a good line of 14" tires that Goodyear owns in Germany.

Fuldas, but they look really nice in 14" gatorbacks.....trying to figure out NA distribution....

bbl with more detail....

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Those are animal scratches....I suspect the domesticated house puzzy put those on ya! ;)

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Oy....

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Vey!

9. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    wow. I also love that paint....not a factory color though??

Also, how are those Kumo tires rated? for what speed/temp?

10. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Color is very close to factory color. Saw a new GTS in that color in 1974 and never forgot it. My Kumho tires are rated ZR. More than enough!
    John