Dino Saga 080203 _ More Better Weather | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080203 _ More Better Weather

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080203 _ More Better Weather

Friday was shine day. Both Sun and car. Week has been dry, car had been washed and it was time for a little wax. Thursday had been clear to the islands so once car was shiny again I decided to take a ride. Temp was back up into the high 60s. Grabbed the camera and went looking for a seascape background for some shots. Thought it would be interesting to use the full telephoto to bring the islands in closer to the car. I would have to be about 100 ft away from the car to keep it all in the frame. I wanted to see the Pacific Ocean in front of the islands so needed a little hill at least. One with a flat top with a road running along the south side. Site selection was getting difficult. Couldn’t think of many places that fit.

Remembered the upper parking lot at Glen Annie Golf Course. About 500 ft up overlooking a beautiful course and the ocean/islands beyond. Mountains were clear as could be and sun was bright. Got to the parking lot and looked South. Nothing but fog and haze in that direction. Straight up it was blue. Oh well. Took a couple of shots and decided the islands would have to wait for a while.

As long as I was in the neighborhood I decided to take a look at Sandpiper Golf Course. They are doing a big renovation and it was time to see what had happened lately. Going to see if they can compete with Pebble Beach. Lots of raw material to work with. It is also a good spot for island pictures on a good day. Not as high as Glen Annie but enough.

Things were better, you could see some ocean but a long way from seeing islands. Took a few shots and decided that shooting towards the South was just not the thing to do. I was looking for something that showed off the SB sun. Well, Bacara is just down the road from Sandpiper and there should be sun on the north side of the entrance plaza. Good idea.

Light was bouncing off of the buildings, a nice row of Mercedes and BMWs were lined up behind the fountain, good times were here. Asked the Valets nicely if I could take a few shots and they said “why sure.” Stopped at a few spots and the Valet Master came over to say Hi. Wondered if I was going to sell the car. Told him no, that I was working on a column I did on FerrariChat every Sunday. He remembered the car from past visits and wished me well. Fine cars get a great welcome at Bacara.

Interesting comparing the Dino with all the new iron. New wheel sizes are lots larger, creases and details are everywhere, the cars are tall. Fenders are a foot above the top of the tires but yet the glass area is not so big. Door windows start far above fenders. You have to put the Dino much closer to a wide angle lens to get the sizes to even look close. And these are relatively small models. I’ll stick with classic, small and sweet; thank you. Nice afternoon, well spent.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mbhw

mbhw Karting

Jan 17, 2008
    New York
    Nice shots, it's hard to compare a Dino to anything modern, as everything pales in comparison......

3. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    John - You say the Dino "holds its own" in comparison to those cars??? Are you kidding????

The Dino blows those other cars away. Forget for a moment the aggressive eye-grabbing color of your Dino. Just the lines and the body make it impossible to even glance at the other cars. BMW's and MB's just cease to exist in the presence of automotive royalty. If there had been a McLaren or a gullwing or a 507 then MAYBE the other cars could have held a candle to yours.

The valets should have bowed and knelt to you and BEGGED you to park theDino in front!

4. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    This has to be the most beautiful street car ever conceived--bar none!