Dino Saga 080127 _ Getting Old | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080127 _ Getting Old

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080127 _ Getting Old

Not the car, me. Car is doing much better than I am. Dreary rainy week in Southern California and no good reason to take the car out for a mud bath. Very similar to typical weather in England or the Netherlands. Just a little warmer. And you know the sun will come out in a few days. And stay for a few weeks at a time. We have about six more weeks of winter and are getting antsy from a storm that has lasted most of the week.

I am 72 now and some things are getting harder to do. Skin is thin and driving wrenches results in a batch of bleeding scratches. I hate using gloves but it is now necessary. Used to have to wear gloves back in semiconductor industry clean rooms and despised the lack of tactile feedback. Then there are back problems, lung problems, losing feeling in hands and feet. Oh well! Just have to figure how to cope.

Dino throttle feedback is an unexpected lack. Throttle is so light and linear that it is hard to hit shifts without exact knowledge of where your right foot is. I have to rely more on my ears now to hit revs. Tach is too slow to rely on. Heel and toe is also fouled up. Keep getting foot stuck under brake pedal. Have to learn new leg movements to compensate. Clutch and normal braking are no problem.

Back problems are weird. The Dino seats have always fit me perfectly. I just take my wallet out of my left rear pocket to remove the only pressure point. Always been happy driving 400 miles to Las Vegas with only one stop. Dino needs a gas refill before I need a stretch. Now I find the reclining position puts too much pressure on my tailbone. The senior cushions designed for Lazy Boy chairs are a joke. But readily available. 3” or 4” thick is your choice. Riiiight! I don’t have that much headroom to spare. All you need is to take some weight off the tailbone. 1” firm foam pad cut to shape works fine but you have to do it yourself. Santa Barbara comes to the rescue again. Plenty of places to buy foam in any color, thickness and density.

I cough when leaning back and there is nothing you can do about that. Just plan on coughing when you settle in. Turns out that the frequency drops after a few minutes. Stops altogether when the driving gets interesting. Curious.

Bottom line is that you can cope. Gets a little more expensive when you can’t do everything yourself. I’ve had to have the tire shop do some of the heavy lifting during the past left brake and wheel repairs. So far my long time contacts have paid off. They only charge me every other time.

Sun comes out in spots between showers. I run out and see how the mountains look. Snow first thing Thursday morning but melted fast. This happens once or twice a year, January or February. Snow level gets down below 2,000 feet at night and Highway 154 to Santa Ynez and Solvang gets closed. All is OK by noon the next day and temps get back up into the 50s. More fun than grief. Unless you live on the mountain. Then grief!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have the greatest sympathy for you John, having 2 slipped discs in my back (downside of being a heating engineer) I know the aggro it causes, at 52 i struggle so god knows what i will be like at 72.

However you should try living in the UK (dont), last year it rained every time i wanted to go out in the dino. I have to put her to bed for at least 6 months because of all the rock salt they throw on the roads.

Anyway it gives me time to redo the interior, never been happy with the work i did some years ago when the door side panels fell apart. This time i am doing the whole lot so all the trim matches. Slow and tedious but i have until at least end of April before it is safe to venture out.

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    When I lived in SoCal, rainy days were something to enjoy. The rain cleaned everything out and created a nice, quiet mood. AND you knew the sun was going to come back in a few days.

Take your time in life. Things may take longer than they use to and be more difficult, you just have to have more patience.

Your car looks great. When you can't enjoy the sounds and feels, just enjoy the looks.

-F

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Hello John,

This may or may not work, but Pegasus Racing Supplies sells what it calls an aerospace backsaver. Here is their description and the link:

The Backsaver was originally developed for military combat pilots. The Backsaver's fluid yet firm support was found to be the best material to minimize discomfort and greatly reduce fatique under very grueling conditions. Backsaver foam absorbs up to 97% of impact energy with low rebound. Although the cushion is only one inch thick, it will not bottom out because of its high energy absorption. Special materials that are bonded to the Backsaver act like a gasket between driver and seat which insures perfect contact for precise feedback. Either size can be cut with sharp scissors or a shop knife.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=BACKPAD

Maybe a small pad in the right spot might work? Warm regards,

Andy

5. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    I have had all kinds of back problems from riding horses, the gym, golf -- you name it. My favorite thing in the world tends to be the lumbar supports and seat heaters in my new SUV's. Maybe you could get one of those aftermarket heating/support pads and hardwire it? Or just use the disposable adhesive heat pads when you're out for a long drive? Of course, I'm a Northeasterner, so that might be too warm in Santa Barbara.

6. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    +1 on the back saver. They're expensive but I think they're worth it. You could probably remove your seat cover and replace some of your seat cushion with it. No one would know it's there and you wouldn't have to worry about the loss of head room.

7. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    I feel your pain, John. I started driving and maintaining my current Dino in 1977 and now, at nearly 68, the driving is going fine but the maintaining part is a tad more difficult, but just as enjoyable. For the seat & back problem, I've been using a small pillow that came from our living room (with my wife's permission, of course) about 12 years ago. I figure it's got about 24,000 miles on it! :)) That really helped with the herniated disc back in those days. This past Friday I had surgery to repair a hernia in my right groin area so I won't be doing much garage work for about a month. However, for the 4 weeks prior to the surgery (wearing a support truss for the hernia!) I managed to remove the radiator, A/C condensor, the cooling fans, the A/C compressor, do a check on the valve clearances, make an adjustment on 6 valve shims and clean and paint all the chassis parts in the now empty area up front. Whew! Felt great! So, as you say, we find ways to cope. It's a labor of love and it gives us all great pleasure.

Forza Ferrari!

Bill

8. DriverA

DriverA Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    Scandinavia
    What a nice car John - Solvang/it sound Danish for me - I have had my Dino for 20 years (I found it 12. august 1988 the date when Enzo died) in 1996 I was operated in my bag, and for 2 years I could not get into my car - I was offered the car for sale, but nobody want to buy it - but I am very happy today that I keep the car in the garage, and 2 month ago it get compagny with a TR512

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 synchro, Jan 28, 2008
    John,

Best wishes for health and strength, your posts are helpful in many ways.

I sympathize with the overwhelming California weather, I'm not sure how you tolerate it! (tongue firmly in cheek as I take this photo of the outside weather...)

Scott

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

John,

I think all of us 50+ yr old guys feel your pain.

Bad shoulders make it difficult for me to do work from under my cars. Even reconstructive surgery on one didn't really solve that problem.

One of the reasons I sold my Dino was it became increasingly uncomfortable for me to drive. Two bad discs in my lower back cetainly don't help that, but it's easier to get a more modern, adjustable seat car, than it is to have those discs fixed right now.

I guess I'm a walking poster child for why contact sports aren't a great idea for someone my size. I think I've had seven orthopaedic surgeries over the years. (I've actually lost count, another sign of age I guess) Knees, elbow, shoulders, UGH.

I'm going to look into the backsaver product. :D

DM

11. cletusberontwood

Apr 17, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Wow Sir, you are an inspiration to us younger guys. I'm 26 and hope to be still be involved with and interested in cars when I get your age. Awesome post and thanks for the pictures.

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i know i am immature, but this really made me laugh

13. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  14. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    #14 MarkT, Feb 1, 2008
    I also feel your pain- I have owned my Dino since '74 and before I tore into it to restore it, my hands would fall asleep due to my carpal tunnel. My back needs a plate and screws due to sports I played in my youth as the pain in the lower back constantly reminds me.

Every time I think of giving up on my Dino due to the pain or due to my lack of money-I find myself opening up the garage door of my tiny garage and being pulled back in time to the many perfect all night rides we shared. Logic goes out the window and I know that I have to finish the restoration and experience more perfect drives.

15. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey John,

Knock off that old talk. I'm 68 with the usual sore back in the morning. I use to have a 246GT (3118) but gave it away (no numbers, please) and now have a 328GTS. These mechanical things keep you young. However, I'm running the Kaiser 1/2 Marathon in San Francisco on Super Bowl Sunday (an annual event and one of many in the year) and I'm starting my 10th year in triathlon. You are as young or old as you choose to be. My recommendation: pick young.

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Robbie,

Not everyone is as fit as you, but you gave good advice. Think young indeed.

Warm regards.

Andy (59 turning 50, and no complaints about the weather)

17. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Recently here in NewZealand the papers ran an article about a gentleman who just emigrated here from England at the ripe old age of 102 with his wife of 12 years who is a Kiwi by birth.When he was asked why move at his age he said "What's important is that when I'm 105 I don't want to be thinking `I wish I had moved to the other side of the world when I was 102'. Heres the link
    "http://www.stuff.co.nz/AAMB6/aamsz=275x15_TEXTLINK/4344602a4560.html I think that proves there is hope for us all and as i now feel like a junior member in this section as i only became a dino owner last year at the age of 47. I have to ask the question who says when your too old to do something ? I dont think any of us is sensible or normal or we certainly wouldnt own these oily old relics but thats the problem with passion it defies common sense and i am willing to bet that John and all the rest of us are only 20 years old when we are out driving.Find a good garage with a first class mechanic if thats what it takes but keep driving. I for one like to read John's sagas and see the pics and i hope i can still be doing the same things when i reach his age. I look forward to seeing your contributions here for a very long time yet John thanks from us all.