18037 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GreggG, Mar 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    CCC.....Chasing Classic Cars......F40 Motorsports.....Wayne Carini......Velocity chanel tv show.

Gary

2. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Yup, I feel as stupid as I thought I would. Getting old I guess! Thanks for explaining it.

3. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    This looks like my old car! I sold it about 8 years ago. I really wish I never sold it!

4. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    The man that sold it to me said he bought it at a Barrett Jackson Auction. Is that where you sold it? $33k was the price he recalled.

5. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    Nope. I sold it to a private party back in 2006 or so for $29,000. I tried to track him down a few months later. I regretted selling the car but could not find him.

I have two things from the car that I found when I moved 3 years ago that may be of interest to you.

1. A spinner removal tool that is coated with Teflon. It is great for removing the spinners with a 1/2" socket wrench.

2. The insert that goes into the spare tire in the trunk. It is black and if I remember correctly holds the spare down in the trunk.

I have kept these two parts wondering if I ever would find the car again. I have a 355 now.

The car had a 400 engine with a single distributor, not a 365 block.

6. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Now What "car had a 400 engine"......."not a 365 block"

Jack

7. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Our car currently has two distributors and I have the Barrett Jackson description when Paul (the guy I bought it from) bought it. I'll have Wayne check the block number next week to see if it matches the car and vintage. Anyone know what the numbers should be if it is 1974 365 vs 400? Are there other characteristics that are visual? Should it carry any identifying values which confirm it came with that specific body?

Here is a link to the Barrett sale results for 2007 Arizona showing the car sold for $36,300. I presume that includes the buyer's premium. Paul said he paid $33k so that matches well. I'll PM you and we'll chat about the parts you have. Cheers!

Barrett Jackson Auction Results 2007 - Scottsdale

8. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Sounds solid Scott; btw, note guy has scant number of posts....odd that he would "jump in" now ?

Jack

9. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

10. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Hey everyone!

I am confident that the car is one in the same. Found out quite a bit more which is very helpful in understanding what it is. The previous owner (a Judge) recalled the car being originally white or blue. I'll figure that out once it gets to Florida. He imported the car in the early eighties. Mike is very confident the car has a 400i engine with one distributor, I'll have F40 look into that also. He spent a fair amount of money on the car back when he owned it which all looks consistent with what I know about the car so far. Including OEM rear exhaust system, Koni coil overs, and the seat inserts. I mean really, how many 365 cars have seats like that! It has to be the same one.

Miles are not actual and will likely never be know without documents I might later find. He recalled the Judge saying the odometer was reset when he color changed the car. So as far as I'm concerned it is True Miles Unknown until I find detailed paperwork.

Cheers!

11. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    oh man, really ?

12. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    We'll see, it doesn't really bother me. Hey, it's not like it's a big block Chevy!

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just go with modern pistons and rods. The thing will easily spin to 7000 rpm and make lots of power. Just remember, there is no substitute for cubic inches. I guess I still think of these cars as drivers, not garage queens.

14. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    I agree completely. The car starts and runs great. I don't intend to fool with it, just drive it! If it break I'll fix it. Not too complicated.

I mean really, a friend of mine bought a new Bentley Azure in 2008 for over $300k, put 4k miles on it, traded it in on another one and received $125k. It never broke down but I seriously doubt even if I have to spend $100k on my car over the next few years he will have had as much fun as I will!

15. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Not trying to flame or be "indelicate"......it's just a shame that now you MAY have a car that has been misrepresented on several occasions....all of whom had the opportunity to "set the record straight"; I cannot imagine that this, if it proves that there was a block-swap, is what you signed-on for. You have a much better attitude than I may have had if this circumstance proves out....kudos to you.

Jack

16. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Thanks Jack. Debra and I have been around the block a few times my friend! The very first exotic we bought some 30 years ago was a Euro 1975 Pantera. I drove it one day before the engine failed. I was 22 and had quite a time saving up to rebuild it. Did most of the work myself. The 365 will provide great fun and a sound that is unmatched for the money. Even if it does turn out to have a 400 block! I don't think the seller really understood what he had so I don't hold him accountable, and at $39k I still would have bought it. Plus, I could have waited to go look at the car but it would certainly have been gone by then. So I pulled the trigger!

It's not that I have money to burn, but I do have an extreme tolerance for risk. Over the years it has served me well and I don't see myself changing any time soon. I went to Vegas back in 1997 for an exotic car auction. My friends all convinced me to gamble that night so I plunked down $25.00 and left town with $367.00. I've never been back so I'm still up, one of the very few. And I also landed a 1991 White with Red TR that day. Who needs gambling when you buy 40 year old Ferraris!

It's all good!

17. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    #42 Ramboy, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know if Scott still owns 18037, but I may be able to help with some bits of the history puzzle. I recently acquired a few hundred old photos of 365 GT4 2+2s and 400s in Monaco in the late 1970s and have found a few of what I beleive to be 18037, given the following:
    - Colour match - White with White and blue interior (very distinctive)
    - Plate - Lebanon plate, 18037 was supplied new to Lebanon
    - Time - 18037 found its way to the UK in early 1980, so it is quite conceivable it was in Monaco in c.1978/79
    - Door mirror - note the black rectangular door mirror, which 18037 still wears..

Enjoy.
    David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login