Dino Saga 071223 _ Parking Feedback | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071223 _ Parking Feedback

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Dec 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071223 _ Parking Feedback

Using the Dino as a daily driver has promoted hundreds of fun encounters in parking lots all over Southern California. Over the years things have sorted themselves into categories but you get surprised every now and then. Folks are funny. Most times. Sometimes not so!

When the Dino was new to me, it had no name other than Dino on any surface a casual observer could see. I got so tired of answering the question “Beautiful; what brand of kit car is that?” that I broke down, ordered a Ferrari logo and put it opposite the 246 GT on the rear panel. “Kit car” went away instantly, “beautiful car” stayed. More better!

I started to notice that I was treated differently when I parked in front of a store in a shopping center. Groceries; the packers and carriers said “Nice.” Hardware; other customers stopped to talk. Sporting goods; no one noticed, Clothing; no one noticed. Jewelry; I got the “Sir” treatment. Restaurants; there are three kinds. Hamburgers; damn fools. I had a half full beer bottle thrown at the pavement alongside the door just to see what would happen. Bottle broke, piece of glass bottle bounced up and cut paint on rocker, beer splashed over whole door. $300 to fix rocker. Family Restaurants are easy going. Denny’s, Carrows, HoJo, etc. More like hardware stores. Folks recognized something special, looked closely, saw Ferrari and were interested. Fun to talk to. High end restaurants are a different breed of cat. Around Santa Barbara things are mellow. Valets know exotic cars of all vintages and take good care. Many nice discussions with the crew. Down towards LA things get a little scary. You never know what the guy will do. Generally not very gentle with the car. Very little conversation, very little interest in an old exotic.

Sometimes folks will start a car conversation in a store or restaurant. “Do you own the Blue Dino?” is the way it usually starts. Turns out that an awful lot of folks either had a Dino or knew someone who did. The conversation is always wistful. Traded up and newer and was disappointed comes up frequently. Talked to one guy who was too big and that is the only negative. No mention of problems. Just wistful.

Most memorable meeting was in the Von’s parking lot. Old guy with the orange vest was pushing a long string of shopping carts back to the front of the store. As I drove in he stopped and watched. Then pushed the carts over by the car. Said “I saw your car in the magazine and had to come over and take a close look.” I was puzzled at first but then thought of Forza. He knew Dinos, had owned a couple of English sports cars long ago. We reminisced. Nice guy. Looked like he just left the homeless shelter but just wanted something to do and Von’s had a job. Sun and exercise and lots of cars. Not bad. I bought a bottle of wine and got a nice wave as I took off. Dinos introduce you to the nicest people.

Merry Christmas to all.
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  3. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    john, i bought my 73 gts in 1980. the previous owner had an ad agency here in seattle. he had truck plates on the dino which allowed him to park in the truck loading zones in town ! dan z.

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    2nd picture is the best, great looking little Red Spider :)

5. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is a great car in a great color.

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That wouldn't be yours, would it?

Mark

7. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Well YES it just might be mine, all mine !