Dino Saga 071209 _ More Left Caliper | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071209 _ More Left Caliper

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Dec 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Dec 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071209 _ More Left Caliper

Parts cleaned up nicely with mineral spirits. New rubber fit fine. Lubed pistons, fit dust shields and ran pistons home on the adjusting mechanisms. Got the springs over the outside of the dust shields and put caliper back on car. Fitted new brake pads just for insurance even though 25% left. Adjusted pistons for a little clearance and bled the system. I waste brake fluid just to flush the lines. 5 ft of 3/8” OD clear plastic tubing run up into the engine compartment holds enough to do the job and you can see it work as you pump the pedal solo. Just make sure to keep the reservoir full. Once bled, I mounted the wheel and drove the car around the block. Tried both the emergency brake and the pedal position and feel. All good. Took a last look for leaks and called it a good Sunday’s work.

Last week I put a hundred and fifty miles of city driving on the car and all was fine. I had another pair of pads in the box so decided to look at the right wheel. Those pads were also 75% gone so pulled them and looked at pistons and rubber. Some cracking in one dust shield but not bad enough to pull everything apart. Had a hassle getting loose the threaded dust shield for the inner piston. Allen socket had had it so used the old hammer and punch technique to break things free. Cleaned up the shield, put it in a vise and got out the moto-tool with a 1” dia. cut-off wheel. Wheel is 0.030” thick and made a fine screwdriver slot in the head of the shield. Went back in just fine. Made the mistake of turning the outer retracting screw faster than I was pushing the outer piston back in. The O-Ring on the screw was pushed off it’s seat and I got some brake fluid leaking around the screw. Went CCW with the screw, screw backed out, O-Ring went back where it belonged and leak stopped. Push the pistons with a pry bar and just keep the screws out of the way, no more. They should only push, not pull.

New pads went in nicely. A little bit of silicone grease on back of pads and on rubber dust shields makes the sliding easier. Adjusted clearance and bled like the other side. Put the wheel back and tried things out. Pedal was fine and parking brake worked as advertised. Drove for a couple of days and checked for leaks. Nice and clean. Rear brakes should be good for another few years.

I never use the parking brake under normal conditions so have never had a problem with the mechanism. The left cable going to the caliper rubs against the muffler flange and has to be changed every 10 years or so but that is it. I always park in gear, reverse or 1st, depending on the slope. Parking brake is used when I want to keep the engine running while stopped or when engine compression won’t hold the car. Manual brake is not much but it is better than nothing, unless you drive with it on. Hard on pads.

Nice to be driving with confidence again.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi Jon, great stuff

Did you find that you didn't have to rebuild the handbrake portion of the caliper?

I'm having to do mine as part of the complete rebuild.
    I have been sorting out the plating color, a light yellow cadmium, please see the photos:
    http://beta.snapgenie.com/CI4M1B58

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What color are the hard lines from the brake caliper to the brake flex lines?

I'm thinking a light yellow cadmium similar to the caliper, but all of mine are so dirty that I can't scrape through and tell.
    Thank you.
    Scott

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Don't know original color of lines. Suppose it was yellow cad. OMGJON might have better knowledge. I just removed hard line at caliper, loosened line at hose, removed caliper, plugged line and tightened line at hose. Back in the days when I was an engineer we did all ferrous parts in cad and they lasted almost forever. Modern zinc is a waste of time but the wackos are happy.
    Parking brake was not touched since no problems there and no way that heat ephisode could have gotten to that part of caliper. Same rationalle on O-Rings on outside retracting screw. Not too hot, no wear, should last forever. Will expect to change in about 20 years. We will see but OK in the short term.
    Good luck.
    John