Dino Saga 071021 _ Lookyloos and SB Harbor | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071021 _ Lookyloos and SB Harbor

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Oct 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071021 _ Lookyloos and SB Harbor

Lookyloos are a constant source of amusement and despair for exotic owners. Still can’t relate to many of the comments and questions from folks about the Dino. You wonder if they understand anything of basic physics or mechanics. Usually nothing! They don’t have a clue but are perfectly willing to voice their opinion anyway. Those who know what they are looking at are a joy to talk with.

A universal reaction to my statement that the car can do better than 140 mph is the following: You must never get out of second while staying within the speed limit. Somehow these folks think the engine can only run at 7,000+ rpm and Ferrari drivers don’t have enough sense to shift and cruise like other cars. Many of these people drive automatics but there are many that shift and even have tachs in their cars. They have no clue why the tach is there or what it is used for.

Another is the expectation that the car is a cop magnet. They never seem to figure that cops look for unsafe actions, not unsafe possibilities. And that most traffic officers have an interest in cars and the skillful driving thereof. I have gotten lots more smiles and waves than tickets from black and whites and motor officers.

As a practical matter, the car pulls nicely from 1500 rpm, 5th gear, in commuter and intown traffic. If I want to be ready to do anything, the revs need to be above 3500. That is my standard cruising rpm, 10 mph in first, 20 in 2nd, 40 in 3rd, 55 in 4th and 75 in 5th. Noise level is tolerable and torque is just coming on. The only thing a Dino can’t do gracefully is drag off the line. But once you get into second, the fun begins.

Occurred to me that I have never posted any pictures taken in or around the SB Harbor. Took the car down there and took a few shots of the boatyard and the piers. Beautiful afternoon, no traffic. Just stopped a number of places, left the engine running and took the shots. Harbor patrol walked by and smiled. Only had a few minutes before a crowd gathered at each spot. Take a look at the masts in the background. SB Harbor runs about 80% sail, 20% power. Winds come up every day at 11 and last till 7. Why waste gas with weather like that?

I used to have an 18 ft sloop with a side tie. Wife and I had lots of fun but kids came along and you know how that goes. Sold the boat and lost the side tie. That side tie is worth a fortune nowadays. My sister and her husband have a 30 ft cabin cruiser so we get to go out occasionally but it is not sailing. Driving the Dino is like sailing. Man working with Mother Nature and enjoying every minute of it. Bum rides on a sailor now and then but most of my harbor time is spent in the restaurants. Something for every taste and pocket book. Brophy Bros. just won 4 “Best of Santa Barbara” awards. Best Seafood Restaurant, View Restaurant, Clam Chowder, Bloody Mary. And the prices are reasonable. Only one of the many harbor eateries but my favorite. Others also won awards but Brophy Bros. winning four at a time made news. Enjoy the pictures.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Beautiful colour John, great scenery and a perfect car.

I am sure you drive it with pride too.

I can echo the bit about the cops, over here they just stare in awe of the Dino.

3. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Stearn Wharf.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Marina gas costs will make a lot of sailors.......LOL!

I run a Mercury 150 but kept the Sunfish for windy days....I stopped to look at a $500 Hobie 14' the other day as well.....

It never leaves you I suppose....

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Roberto,
    Not Stearn's Wharf. These pictures were taken in the working area of the harbor. The picture taken of the three guys looking at the car show Stearns Wharf in the far background. The foreground pier is the Navy Pier with the boat hoist next door. Stearns Wharf has great views and Fine to Hamburger restaurants. But millions of tourists too. The harbor mixes fewer tourists with a marvelous mix of sea going denizens and great food and drink. Have to spend time at both. Moby Dick(wharf) for breakfast, Brophy Bros.(harbor) during the day, Longboards (wharf) at sundown, Chuck's of Hawaii (harbor) or the Harbor Restaurant (wharf) for dinner. Don't have to choose, try them all, far more than I mentioned.
    John