1700 miles in a Mondial | Page 11 | FerrariChat

1700 miles in a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Manny, May 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Well, you're not boring, I'll give you that much.

Glad that everyone is OK. Do you have any idea what caught on fire in that location (or why)?

What's under the rear floorboard, brake lines?

2. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Thanks guys. It seems one of the fuel lines broke... Norwoods will let me know for sure what went wrong next week.

3. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Do you remember smelling fuel?

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Are you, by any chance, related to Kimi Raikkonen? ;)

1700 miles of understanding friends, and it does this in front of your wife. :p

5. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Sorry to hear about your car Manny. I'm glad you are all OK and I hope your insurance company helps make thing right again.

I have been on the fence looking at a few Mondial 8s. I have concerns about fule lines and have been reviewing exploded (no pun intended) print outs of the car's fuel system. Any clarification would help.

In the Pump > Accumulator > Filter > Metering/Distributor flow; what exactly does the accumulator do?? And where dose the fuel in the reflux pipe from the passenger side tank go??

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Wow sorry to hear this, the good part is nobody got hurt and the damage looks like it's repairable, there are plenty of Mondy 8 interior bits for sale round the planet and ALL the hoses are fairly easy to replace with the drivetrain out of the car

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Wow, sorry to hear that and glad everyone is ok. This of course is the Mondial 8 BBQ option.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Manny.

Car can be fixed.

You walked away.

Some quick thinking probably saved the car.

PLEEZE, IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE ONE, NOW'S THE TIME TO ORDER THAT HALON FIRE EXTINGUISHER FROM DANIEL AT RICAMBI.

GET THE BIGGEST ONE YOU CAN FIT IN THE CAR.

And then thank God everyone is safe and sound. It could have turned out much worse.

Never a dull moment when you own a Ferrari.

Dave

9. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Manny oh man I'm sorry, that SUCKS dude,

Norwoods will get it right :)

Glad no one was hurt, just be thankful it didn't happen in some of the places you drove through, (Deliverance theme plays)

Keep us posted man !

10. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I'm going to have an extinguisher installed on the passsenger side footwell I suppose after hearing your story Manny. Going to have it done by a real mechanic so I don't accidently drill though a fuel line though.

I am so glad to hear that you and the family are OK. It'll be better than new when you get it fixed.

All the best -

11. hplug

hplug Karting

Sep 23, 2005
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Hayes
    Manny,
    It was great meeting you yesterday. This whole thread is just amazing, I wonder which person at work will be yelling at me monday morning "did you see what happened?" Glad you and the family are safe. Please let me know if I can assist in anyway.

12. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    I will definitely get the Halom for the car ASAP. I am sure that is an expense my wife will be happy I make :).

Darkhorse575, I do not know. I am learning all this stuff as I go. I do think that the reflux pipe goes to the tank on the drivers side.

I did smell fuel, about 3 minutes before I pulled in the driveway :) as I was going around my block.

13. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Manny,
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am glad it happened at your home where you had access to water to put the fire out. I'm also glad no one was hurt. Do keep us posted as to the cause of the fire. I am curious.

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #264 snj5, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Manny - brilliant work in getting the fire out.
    I also noted the small of gas on mine in the right rear wheelwell - this is where all of the return hoses come into the tank. Many were frayed and dry-rotted, seeping fuel and required replacement. It's also possible for the gas to leak down the top of the tank under the rear seat. Something to think about for all of us is replacing fuel hoses, especially in a high pressure system. I think all Mondial owners should spend a couple of hours, jack up the right side, remove the right rear tire and front wheelwell and nose around the hoses, accumulator and filter. This area in the right wheel well is a vital spot in the whole car and a look every now and then is prudent.

Your Mondial is going to be a lot better for all of this, and this in a way is a blessing - no one hurt and problem identified without too much damage.
    Norwood's will be great - let me know if I can help at all.

I've posted a picture of your fuel system from the Mondial 8 parts book circling where the return lines are at the top of the right tank. I have the entire parts manual for the Mondial 8 in .pdf if you would like a copy.

best
    rt

<edit>
    What typically happens in these fires is the fuel will leak on the right side of the car onto the exhaust system where it comes around on the right side. These hoses are not hard to replace - annoying - but not hard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #265 snj5, Jun 4, 2006
    This time with labels of main parts.
    In some models, i've seen the accumulator without a return line and vented to the air. A bit dangerous, actually
    hope this helps

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Glad you got out okay and the damage seems to be minor to what it could have been.

talk about timing, i'm going to be investigating a raw fuel smell coming from the drivers side rear today. going over the parts layout it seems everything should have easy enough access. i'm not looking for a BBQ eithier so up in the air she goes. i've started to notice mine when the tank is full and i turn to the right so that seems to tewll me someting on the top left is leaking or venting (way worse!) it's fuems that that go PHOOOM!.

i had an old M5 12yrs ago that one morning on the way to work decided to bust an injector, i had a stream of fuel squirting accross the engine and right on the exhaust manifold. but becouse the stream had so much fuel it wouldn't ignite. got real lucky on that one.

at this time i really hope the modials aren't commiting sucide, maybe there really depressed becouse *others* don't show them the respect the deserve ;)

"show a mondial some love today, becouse car-BQ's are not 'smore' fun"

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #267 smg2, Jun 4, 2006
  18. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least it didn't happen going down the road 1,000 miles from home. Glad the engine doesn't appear to be damaged and the interior bits seem to be easily fixable.

Any idea why the flames were on the inside? Most of the time a fire happens because a fuel hose is leaking in the engine compartment. Does the Mondial have an engine access panel behind the seats that would let raw fuel leak into the passenger compartment in the event the fuel supply hose started spraying fuel onto the firewall?

19. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #269 No Doubt, Jun 4, 2006
    The cheapest automatic fire-extinguisher (useful if the car is unattended or if you are incapacitated after an accident) that I've seen is the Fire Foe.

I bought their 30 cubic ft version for about $140.

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Scott, you and Russ Turner need to create a Mondial Sticky thread on this fire/fuel line subject.

Others need to know to go check those lines/connections (and buy a fire extinguisher for the cockpit...perhaps even an automatic fire extinguisher for the engine bay).

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    the mondial has concerns all its own for fuel leaks. the longer GT wheel base allows for the tanks to sit under the seats and out of the way of the engine, probelm is "outa view outa mind". tyhe location also means it shares space with the coolant lines and the positive cable from the batt. any chassis flex and the tank can rub unduley also causing trouble spots.

the shape of the tank means any leak from the nipples up top will have fuel puddle on top of the tank under the rear seats before it spills down to the floor.

i'll be taking pics for this search and post them up with highlights for the trouble spots.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think that this Fuel leak thread, the fuel pump and Mondial electrical threads would all make good stickies being safety related.

I know Rob hates adding new sections, but a Mondial maintenence sticky section starting with these three would be good. I'll even moderate. :)

23. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I don't know what to say, other than

1. I'm glad it didn't happen with little Natalie in the back seat and
    2. It didn't happen with me in the passenger seat in the middle of BFE!

And Manny... remember to ship Dave's tools back to him. The ones that aren't crispy, anyway. :p

24. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Will do that tomorrow :)

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Send the crispy ones too. I'll have one made into a plaque!!

Dave