Dino Saga 070909 _ More Better Leather | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070909 _ More Better Leather

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070909 _ More Better Leather

Took the car out to Mena’s Upholstery and talked a little. He did the seats after 110,000 miles or so and they have done yeoman duty. Just passed 192,143 miles and center of the driver’s seat is the only area really shot. He used very soft leather in the center and heavier around the edges. Edges are fine except where I hit the seat beading as I slide in and out. All the old leather is a little faded. Dye and conditioner will handle that nicely.

My man said no problem redoing the center section but the price of fine leather had gone way up. Can’t buy just a small piece. Any hide he can get will be enough for both seat centers and will run $300 up. How about labor to redo Driver’s center and add a doubler where I wore out the beading? He thought for a minute and said “How about $450, labor and materials?” I said yes and asked when and how long? Two days to get the leather and a half day to do the job. I pull the seat, bring it in, haul it back and replace it. 4 bolts, no sweat. Done it many times. This was Monday. Leather would be in on Thursday. Why don’t I bring the seat in on Friday morning. Be done by 5:00 PM that afternoon. I said go!

Seat bolts are a pain in the neck because of the very tight clearance above the seat rails and below the seat. I have a Chapman Allen ratchet set with the nicest little ratchet and a full set of short Allen Keys. Fits right in and gets everything started. Going back in an L wrench can get in to do the final ¼ turn when the little ratchet runs out of steam. Friday morning I got the seat to Mena’s by 9:30 AM. 3:30 PM call: “All done, come on out.”

I was there by 4:00 and the seat looked like new. He had redone the center, used the fine leather as a doubler on the side and conditioned everything. He loaned me the bottle of conditioner and said “use it and bring it back Monday.” Seat was back in the car by 6:00 PM and ready for the weekend. Great to have suppliers you can trust and work with.

By now you have found out that function is my prime concern. I love to drive the car and the mechanicals get instant treatment when anything sounds or feels funny. The cosmetics are built into the design and are almost impossible to foul up no matter the lack of care. Peeling paint, torn seats and broken windows are going too far. But a reasonable schedule of paint and upholstery can keep a Dino the center of attention at restaurants, hotels and parking lots indefinitely.

One of the things I enjoy most is to drive by a grammar school bus stop. Lots of “Thumbs Up” from kids who have no clue about Ferrari. They just see beauty and appreciate it. The sound doesn’t hurt either.

Showing off the interior is another fun project. No one has ever sat in a Ferrari. The Dino gives the first timers a view and an ambiance they never forget. Funny that wives of other Dino owners (and other Ferrari owners) want to sit in my car. Many wives and girl friends never get to sit in the driver’s seat of their husband’s or boy friend’s car. My little courtesy wakes them up. Dinos are different.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Another good post from John.

Thank you!

Mark

3. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    sorry, but big thumbs down. Those seats are a patchwork and look terrible

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Maybe they look terrible for a garage queen

But they look better than most daily drivers and for me, I want to know who did the work as I have work to do on mine also (but I will PM you privately John)

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'd like to see yours when you get 200,000+ miles on your Dino!!!

6. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    oh boo hoo sweetheart. I'd replace the leather and not create a patchwork quilt, but hey that's just me ;)

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks great - good enough to put on the cover of FORZA as the most driven Dino (you already were that one!)

I use a 3/8s ratchet with an allen head and a wobble socket adapter to remove the seats.
    I wonder if the GTS has a little bit more room to access the seats due to the lengthened chassis...

HOPEFULLY HELPFUL: I rotate the Right to Left seats periodocally to even the wear out.