Dino Saga 070902 _ Wearing out the leather | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070902 _ Wearing out the leather

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070902 _ Wearing out the leather

Just noticed a second hole in the driver’s seat back. First one stayed small for about 2 years. I could live with that. Just colored the foam with a black marker and looked pretty good. Guess the afternoon sun finally got to the seat back. Time to look around again.

I wear shorts every day and body oils don’t do anything good for leather. I regularly use cleaner and moisturizer but the spots where my bare legs rub the front of the seat crack after 5-6 years. Then again, the sun hits there too. It has been over 10 years and 75,000 miles since the seats were redone so I can’t complain too much.

Other wear points only show if the car is used very heavily. The beading along the outside of the seat gets rubbed hard on every entry and exit. Right where the seat curves up, just under the seat belt when it is cinched up. The 5 “ of beading around the corner lasts 3-5 years. After that, I just cut it out, taper the edges and color the remains with permanent marker. Might look into a heavy leather doubler around that corner when redoing the seat.

Then there is the driver’s door. Getting in and out of a Dino is something of an athletic maneuver. Ladies hate it when in a skirt but guys don’t have any problem unless very overweight. Basically it’s feet first getting in and feet last getting out. Driver puts right foot in, left hand on door above wind wing, right hand on roof or wheel. Slide butt in and sit down. Arms are your support. Get left foot in and close door by pulling on door pocket. Getting out is similar. Unlatch door. Open door by pushing with your elbow just above door pocket. Left foot goes out and on the ground. Turn your body left, right hand on door above wind wing, left hand on door sill. Arms support body on way out and right leg is the last to leave. Use sort of a rolling motion and it is easy. Passenger entry and exit is easier because there is no steering wheel to get your legs under. Ladies can swivel, get their feet on the pavement and use their arms to get upright. No one realizes how low the Dino is until they get halfway into one. Or halfway out of one.

That push with your elbow when opening the door is on padded leather. The padding breaks down and the leather gets a dent plus loosing some shine. Looks like it is time for me to replace the padding and re-stretch the leather on the door.

The rest of the leather is probably OK for another few years. It is faded but a good redying should make it nice and black again. Major work is just one seat. Foam looks like it is still OK. Sits fine. Last time the seats were $400 for the pair. Hope I can get one for that price today. Will find out soon. Will go get quotes next week. Stock design is just fine with me. No sense doing any upgrade.

That still leaves the bad stitching on the wheel and on the glove compartment door. Will get a quote on those too. Car is driving so nice it will be a shame to shut it down for a week or so. We will see.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    While that manuever is good for seasond drivers I've found that for first timers it is easier in a GTS if they
    - walk to doorway and face away from the car (directly to port or starboard for driver/pass seats)
    - sit their butt down first
    - swing legs in

This has the added benfit of potentially thwarting contact with the steering column stalks.
    The downside is that on the GTS wing window flashing comes to a point and can be very close to someone's eye, so I usually assist them by placing my hand over that area.

3. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    That's how I do it! Does that mean I'm not a seasoned driver?

4. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    When my back doesn't hurt, I kind of step in and wedge my butt against the seat back then slide down as I bring my left foot on board. When it does hurt, I do the butt-first maneuver, then swing the feet in. Getting out is only possible feet first using the seatback corner as a handhold, which, by the way, is the only way I'm going to let my Dino out of my grasp -- when they take me outta here feet first!

This weekend was absolutely perfect in the Northeast, and I put a couple of hundred miles on the car just joyriding. The sound when you level off at 5500 rpm in 4th gear is like a perfect harmonic vibration or the perfect drug-- it's so perfect that I get irrationally annoyed at anyone who gets in my way so I have to change the tune. I was having so much fun listening to that radio station I actually smiled and waved at a local cop car going in the opposite direction -- and he waved back! (As you know, 5.5k in 4th isn't going to be within the limit almost anywhere in this country!) I am convinced the sound of the motor when it's just right is an anti-ageing tonic. I've gotta get it on tape.

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    You are right guys, about a GTS with the roof off. You can slide down the driver's seat back. The GT makes it hard to get your butt in first without hitting something somewhere. Ladies or shorter guys can sit down in the passenger seat of the GTS or GT and swing their legs in. You have to be pretty short to pull that off in the driver's seat and get your inside leg under the wheel. I am 5'11" and have to do the right leg first. I imagine that all Dino owners work out their own technique. All that matters is getting comfortable easily and quickly. The best seat in the house!
    John

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I go butt first getting in, and feet first getting out. Easier on the back in my GT.

I'm 5'9", so I guess I fall into the "just short enough" category. I wear a size 45 jacket, so I'm no midget. I find feet first is also a lot tougher on the seats as my passengers who insist on entering that way tend to crash onto the seat.

Just requires a little care and caution to get in and out.

John. Are you going to completely reupholster, or just patch the leather in the worn areas?

Dave M.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Chuckle..., I didn't mean that!
    Some would say that you're only a seasoned driver if you have grey hair...chuckle

5500rpm is just the start of the crescendo - you gotta take it higher as these cars love to rev!

8. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    gray or salt and pepper?