16" wheels & tyres for a 308 | FerrariChat

16" wheels & tyres for a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Longstone Tyres, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  2. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 ME308, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    those 16" are the superformance replicas
    they fit without any modifications except some cars need center rings on the front hub
    tyres have the usual size, you can also fit 225 front and 245 rear

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Although the car you photographed appears to have aftermarket reproductions, 16" wheels were available as a factory option on that car (a 1983 QV). There are no fitment issues and it is unclear (and unlikely) if Ferrari changed spring rates for 16" equiped cars. It was the first, and only, factory 308 configuration with staggered wheel widths.

Thoses size tires were also used by Porsche on their 911 series cars of the era so are much more readily available than TRX or 14" tires.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Many (most?) of the later 308QV sit a bit high -- especially at the front. My guess would be that the spring vendor just made most of the springs to the "long" side of the spec (or a little too long and F just used them anyway). Going to an aftermarket ride-height-adjustable shock set, having the stock shocks modified to be ride-height-adjustable, and using different lower spring perches on the stock shock have all been used to lower the coachwork and reduce the gap between the tire ODs and the wheel arches.

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When I put the 16s on my '77, we changed out the spring preaches in the front. The car now looks incredible and no longer looks like a 4 x 4.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I did the same thing, I was able to get a 1” lowered spring perch for the front and the stance of my car looks correct now.

7. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    But that all sounds wrong to me, modifying a car to overcome a modification?

I just think they look a bugger with a gaping wide gap around the tyre. and then lowering the car, is not good. However these tyres should have the same diameter as the TRX. I dunno it just looked wrong

vaccarella likes this.
  8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I have to admit the gap and ride height look high to me.

9. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lowering a car is good specially if you get a stock US 308 AND, as long as you check and correct all the geometry ( alignment )

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    With your front spoiler, Mike, I'd have cardiac arrest every time I drove over anything higher than a cigarette butt!

Cirorsi likes this.
  11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL! It’s not that bad just angle the car as you go in and out of the driveway and over speed bumps.:) Plus I have a scrape plate material under the spoiler anyway.

cavallo_nero likes this.
  12. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yeah, I can't wait to get a skid plate on mine!

13. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I scraped my newly repaired euro spoiler the day after I put it back on - the mechanic had just installed the adjustable suspension and it was too low. I've since raised it twice and stiffened the front shocks (350lb front springs) to good effect. Still lower than standard - I hate the dead cat space of the standard ride height. I'd love to put a skid plate under it, but it really needs a custom shaped HDPE plate under the edge. What have you installed?

14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Patrick, I believe mine skid plate is also made of HDPE

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Under the leading edge of the spoiler, or further back?

16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine is a little different because I have the Koenig Special valance which from the leading edge it goes back about 4” flat all the way across from one side to the other, unlike the regular Euro spoiler, it’s only like 1” from the leading edge .

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Sorry, but can i ask why it is good to lower it?

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Haven’t you seen a stock US version 308 specially the earlier carbs with the 14” wheels? First of all the gap between the tires and the fender is too big, second is it makes the car handle a lot better, and third it looks better.

19. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Oo, the handle better thing i would wonder about. I don't have a 308, so i will have to bow to your better judgement, but i would suspect that if you stiffened the springs and added some adverse camber, lowering it might make it better for the track. though you may need make some other changes as well. But i wouldn't think it would better on the road. I would suspect that it might make it a bit of a pain in the arse on the road.

Personally if i did have a 308, (which i would dearly love, though it is a bit modern for me really) i would want one on 14" wheels, because old cars are so much more fun to drive on thinner tyres. thin tyres to keep the handling nice and progressive. I would want the clearance underneath, because the idiots near me who think they know how to look after our roads love speed bumps (the fekking idiots!) I would also enjoy the fact that the taller side wall would absorb these bumps and the badly looked after roads. That absorption of bumps and vibrations would stop the rest of the car falling apart, and help me keep my teeth in.

That is personal taste. And to contradict myself; i have a little vintage racing car, that is set up predominantly for track use, so it is lower than a snakes ass and a complete pain in the arse on speed bumps aand the road in general. It is stiff as a board so I'm knocking my back teeth out, and as i drive along bits are falling off left right and center. But i love it to bits and i thrash it round on the road far more than i should, bec ause it is so exciting driving such an extreme machine. so i do get it. (i should really save it just for the track. It is out at the Goodwood members meeting next weekend if i don't knacker it in testing)

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    308 performs very well with every tyres you put on it: 14", TRX, 16". With the 16 is a bit more aggressive (just as shape), with the others a bit more classic. With 16" you can choose a race tyre or even a snow tyre at low price or the brand you want, with the others is a $$$ pain and not much alternatives (zero with the TRX)...

I don't want to lower the car, as it's already even too low with the 16" (in the mid of the wheelbase): in my opinion it looks good with the stock springs Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dinzo22, Formula Uno, bromo and 2 others like this.
  21. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    bromo and Albert-LP like this.
  22. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  23. V8tony

V8tony Rookie

Feb 15, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Tony Roma
    So, I'm getting ready to buy a set of the repo 16" rims from Mr. Fiat for my 1979 308. My 14's are chipped up and the tires are old. I need an upgrade and my wife likes the look of the stock 16's better than putting 360 wheels on it (which a friend of mine did to his car). I'm looking for a good tire to put on the 16" rims. Any recommendations? There is a Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 that is offered in 205/55R16 and 225/50R16. I was also considering a Toyo Proxes RA1. That's a tire I've used on track day cars before. Not sure it's a good all around street tire or not.

24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Pretty sure there's a more recent thread about 308 tires but how about Toyo T1R if they are available in your market

25. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    We should be getting some new Cinturato P7 tyres in these sizes soon.

here is a film about the P7