Dino Saga 070701 _ Magazine Article | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070701 _ Magazine Article

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jul 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070701 _ Magazine Article

Told you about a mountain photo shoot a few months ago. Looks like it will turn into a story. Zach Mayne (http://www.zacharymayne.com) e-mailed me wondering if I would be interested in his doing a magazine article on my Dino. He had read some of my Sagas and was intrigued by the number of miles I had put on the car. I took a look at his web site and was impressed. Sure, why not! Looked like it might be fun. Has been a long time since I was involved in either an article or a full blown photo shoot. Back in my prior life I was involved in introducing new products at least twice a year. Was interesting to watch pros work back then. Photographers, copy writers and layout artists. My job was to make sure that they got everything right. Since I had designed most of the stuff, it was easy to keep focused and appreciate the various elements that went into publishing technical subject matter. It is an art form.

It was a delight to work with Zach for a day. He knew his craft and he respected performance cars. Turns out that he had reviewed a Dino GTS a few years ago for Forza Magazine. The GT was familiar territory and it was fun riding shotgun as he got the feel of this particular car. He had been in Santa Barbara for a day many years ago and remembered the old hangars at the airport. He had used the hangars as a backdrop for a car portrait but knew nothing of the rest of Santa Barbara. Since we were starting from scratch I offered to show him some of the high spots of the area. Car was running just fine, fast, slow, curves and straights. It was a Sunday so when we looked at the beaches, there was way too much clutter. Cars and folks everywhere. Well let’s take a look at one of the high end destinations and see how the rich folks spend Sunday. We have the Biltmore in Montecito and Bacara in Goleta. Bacara was closer.

On the way I told him of the Rotunda where the Valet corps took pride in showcasing special cars so all could admire. We drove up to the front door and the Valet Master apologized for the parking area already full of Lambos, Mercedes, Porches, etc. We said that we were just going to be there for 20-30 minutes to check out photo locations. Valet suggested we just back up on the walkway alongside the front door and leave the keys on the seat. Then asked the year in case someone asked. We smiled, made a wonderful tour of the resort but never found the perfect spot for a Dino shot. Thanked and tipped the valet and decided to look at the airport. Got some great shots, big worn buildings do make great backgrounds, and then went looking for action.

Old San Marcos road has great turns, a new surface and a number of spots where a camera man can stand with relative safety. Zach drove up and got a feel of the car working tight roads. Picked a spot to shoot and asked me to drive up and down, get the car working as I passed him, turn around and do it again going in the opposite direction. Did this about two dozen times before he was satisfied. Car felt good.

Came on down, took a few interior shots and relaxed over a couple of Sierra Pale Ales. Good day. Maybe in Forza in the near future. Here are larger versions of some out-takes.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    It sounds like a memorable day. I do miss those California roads. I had the Dino out this morning for a run up to Seabrook Island. It's a pretty drive. In many areas, the oak trees lining the road form an almost solid canopy overhead. It's fairly deserted early in the AM. Long straights with the occasional fast bend. The turns can't really be taken fast as there's always the possibility that a car, truck, or tractor will be turning out of a lane or driveway right around the bend. Still fun to heel-and-toe shift into third and squeeze the throttle once I know that the road ahead is clear, reveling in that incomparable Dino sound.