1520WHP Supra | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1520WHP Supra

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Akira, Oct 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i usually stay out of these threads. i had a few MR2S and 2 Supras. but they were " used cars " , and not modded.

as amazing as these horsepower wars are, how the hell do you get ANY traction on public roads enough to even use the car? the one vid with the gazzillion feet of tire rubber from the accelleration makes me think the cars must be "fun" in a straight line, but forget it if you have to take a curve and maintain speed and traction. are there tires out there " that good " for street use?

i am not knocking the cars. these guys spent thier time and money the way they wanted too. i am sure the cars are very fast, and very nice. i am just puzzled as to how you drive the things at all in any sort of " normal use " mode?

sorry for the questions, i am just a slow ferrari/porsche owner . :)

2. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Michael...you are absolutely right. There is no use for these cars on public roads. Bragging rights only. Personally....I usually stop at 700WHP...to keep a car streetable. But you never use that anyway. It really is just a numbers game....not much use for a 1000WHP anything...unless you live at the drag strip...and that really isn't much good either, because of the traction issues. And if you beat the traction issues..then everything else will soon break. Still...........it is fun!!

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    no doubt it would be fun, but i have spun lesser cars on crappy oil stained public roads, i cannot imagine having all that time and money in a modded Supra or Viper and blow it up or trash it due to some jerk loosing gear oil all over the road. i busted my butt on a Ninja at a stop light in gear oil from a big rig that had blown up soemthing in his trans. i know this because " he " was in a culvert 2 miles up the road with a puzzled look on his face, and i was bruised up! :)

the Supra did sound cool as heck in that F1 rpm range !!!

4. JZ TWINS

JZ TWINS Karting

Sep 5, 2006
    I agree. How frustrating it must be to have all that power and you cant put it too the ground.

5. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    It's not too hard to control the car if you stay out of boost. Fortunately with a larger turbo you have more reaction time before it spools and you reach your real powerband, rather than having a ridiculous amount of torque in a naturally aspirated application, which might be more of a handful. My Typhoon has a T-72 ball bearing turbo, and it's not hard at all to drive around without hitting boost. And without the turbo, it's not very fast at all.

6. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Your such a Supra hater, there are a ton of modified Supras that would lay waste to modded vipers and vice versa, the difference being many Supras are still on the factory block with almost 1/3 of the displacement. Vipers for the most part sound like ass anyways. Theres a reason why people are paying what they cost new 8 years later.

7. Diablosv

Diablosv Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Supras sound like broken lawnmowers choking on crap grass. Just my opinion.

8. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Iam not a Supra hater.

The reality is that there is a better tuner car called the Dodge Viper. I had faith that the 1000hp Supra was unbeatable until I saw in person a Hennssey 800TT waste a 1000hp Supra(880 all motor and 120shot of nitous) by a long shot. Maybe from a roll a modified Supra will beat a lightly modified Viper but from a standstill a highly modified Supra vs a highly modified Viper and that Supra is toast.

Also a Viper is one of the best sounds that anyone could ever hear almost like a Ferrari reving its engine. Any tuner car with a 4banger or 6 sounds like a Lawnmower with a Borla exhaust. Sure you could beat any high priced exotic but it still sounds like.......

9. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I totally agree and its not just supras, the Civics have it the worst.

10. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
  11. JZ TWINS

JZ TWINS Karting

Sep 5, 2006
    Here is what mine sounds like. What lawn mower are you talking about. At the moment it is BPU. Singled supra's sound alot better.
    View My Video