Dino Saga 070401 _ Alternator Noise | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070401 _ Alternator Noise

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Apr 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Apr 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070401 _ Alternator Noise

About a week ago I started hearing a ringing, tinny sound and thought immediately of the alternator fan touching the alternator housing. Only happened at idle and only for seconds at a time. Nothing else I could think of that would make that kind of sound. Definitely fast sheet metal rubbing against something. Looked down as much as you can and didn’t see anything. Reached down and tried to rock fan and pulley. Nothing. Oh well, It would get better or it would get worse.

You know the only possible direction. Couple of days later I jacked car up, pulled wheel, pulled rock shield and took a look. Just was in there a couple of weeks ago and was getting good at it. I had the belt pretty tight and could see where the fan was just touching the alternator casting, left side. Loosened bolt holding belt tension and tried rocking the pulley/fan. Bingo, wobbled nicely. Now what to do? Not much room and didn’t want to pull alternator again. Once every three or four years is enough.

Didn’t know what size the nut was that holds pulley on but tried a 19mm socket. Too small but found that a 3/8” ratchet and standard length socket would go between gas tank and pulley. There was hope. Tried a 11/16” socket. Didn’t fit but OD just made it. Down to Sears to see what I could find. Both 21mm and 22mm sockets had a small enough OD so bought both. Was pretty sure it was 22 but one trip was enough and you never know. Only potential problem was that both sockets were ½” drive. I have all adapters from ¼” to ½” and back so thought that there would still be room. Don’t have a ½” ratchet, just a breaker bar for wheel bolts and emergencies.

Turns out there was plenty of room. Don’t know how the pulley is prevented from rotating on the alternator shaft. Whatever it is was strong enough to keep the shaft from turning when I grabbed the fan disk with a pair of Vise Grips. The nut had worked loose about a full turn against a stout split lock washer. Once tight, alternator spun true so put belt back on and didn’t tension so much. Both water pump and alternator spun freely so felt problem was pretty well gone. Started engine and all OK. Replaced shield and tire after taking a few pictures. Lots of road grime in the last year but very little oil. Never had to worry about engine compartment rusting in the old days. Now I might have to get in there and clean and paint. No chance to get bored with these cars and I love it.

Got some nice feedback about the side marker lights but still have questions. Definitely different bezels front and rear on my car. Not interchangeable. Lenses are readily available but a call to GT Car Parts got info that there were a number of different bezels used and no one knows which is which. They will look through their goody box and get back. Took mine off and could find no numbers on bezels but did find manufacturer’s name on front ones. SITOPLAST CORREGGIO -R.E.-. Lenses have lots of numbers and everyone has them. Will keep working on it and will post what I find. Fiat 124 Spider bezels are similar but would love to know for sure.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login