Dino Saga 070304 _ Alternator Again | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070304 _ Alternator Again

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Mar 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070304 _ Alternator Again

Thought that fixing bearing and oil leaks would fix alternator problems forever. See Dino Saga 051120. 5,000 miles later I started up and no charge. Oh well, drive in the daytime, charge for a few hours every day, no panic. Brushes might have gone again. Why so soon? Usually last for 15,000+ miles. Finally took a look at why or what. Put voltmeter on output of regulator going to brushes. 12 volts. Pulled wire to alternator brushes and measured resistance. Open circuit. Brushes gone or wire came loose. Time to take a look.

It was just getting warm after a rain storm so waited until after lunch to start. Rolled out my trusty $20 jack and a couple of jack stands. Lifted car, pulled wheel, pulled fiberglass shield and looked. Wire to brushes was flying in the air. Was not spot tied to alternator output wire so had flapped around and worked its way off. I could see it but there was no way I could get my hand in there to push it back on the brush terminal. Damned aluminum casting made to hold clutch and air pump blocked everything. Oh well, I had done it before and there was still a couple of hours of warm sun. Pulled both wires at junction box. Loosened hose clamps on water line on bottom of oil cooler and let coolant drain into a bucket. Loosened clamps on oil cooler so it could move a little. Removed heat shield and its mounting bracket from forward corner of engine. Removed adjusting bolt at top of alternator and pulled drive belt. Removed lower pivot bolt holding alternator to aluminum casting. Cursed a lot but worked alternator out through the cutout in the right gas tank.

Nice to be able to work on the engine without oil all over everything. Never had that luxury before. Import Auto guys did a good job. Little bit of oil at back of engine but front was clean as could be. Sure wish I had gotten or fabricated a European alternator mount while the engine was out. That huge aluminum casting invented to hold the smog stuff should be in my basement with the AC bits and pieces and all the rest of the smog junk. Hope Omgjon takes the hint when his engine finally starts going back together. One of these days I will get around to doing something.

Took alternator into my shop and pulled brushes. Beautiful. Looked at rear bearing. Right where I put it. Put everything back together, plugged brush wire back. Spot tied wires together so there was no strain on the brush wire. More cussing but went back together faster than it came apart. Poured coolant back and started engine. 35 amps indicated and all was well. It was getting cold (65 F is cold in Santa Barbara) so went inside to clean up and have a glass of wine. Occurred to me that I had never thought of taking pictures during the entire episode. Damn.

Oh well, there will be another time. There always is and that is part of the enjoyment. It’s a driver and I love it.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    John- I tried to buy a euro alternator bracket for my US GTS when I was re-doing it and was told that you cant get them anymore. I checked with the guys at Superformance (they have everything & are in UK) as I figured they would be able to help. I guess you have to make one up from scratch.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm thinking about just that. Had a similar problem with a clients Dino last fall. That bracket and air pump really need to go. It would not be too hard to fab a replacement. I'll post something if I do.