Dino Saga 070211 _ Low Cost Paint, Mouse Hair | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070211 _ Low Cost Paint, Mouse Hair

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070211 _ Low Cost Paint, Mouse Hair

I’ve talked about Eddie’s repaint; there is more. You have all seen the pictures of my Christmas present. It looks great from the outside but I am getting down to the fine detailing and am working through the things that Eddie was paid to NOT do. Eddie’s task was to work on outside of car only. He masked past 90 degrees around all edges and did a pretty good job of filling all gaps around doors and front and rear hatches. That left whatever holidays in the gaps and the few areas where the masking was not perfect. Door gaps were masked 3 to 4 times and some primer got into the gaps at the front of the doors. I have never replaced the rubber gap seal so the primer went quite a way. My job is to clean it up so no one can see the 35 year old surfaces with a dusting of grey primer.

The car was originally white. Eddie repainted to blue about ’94. Basic contract then was to get rid of all white. I agreed that doors could stay on. With that limit, cleaning and prepping interior of body forward of doors was cursory. Painter was able to get blue in there but surfaces were not all really clean. Pictures show some areas where paint has flaked off in funny places and on plastic connectors. No problem near outside edges.
    With no rubber seals and with the gaps above cover plates, some of the primer overspray was visible when door was open and the sun was just right.

Pulled cover plates and started rubbing with a rag on a stick and some Simple Green. Primer did not stick well to uncleaned surfaces. Came off easily. There was a little primer on back of cover plates so sanded them down and hit with flat black epoxy spray can. Pulled door connectors apart and sprayed both halves with WD-40. Great way to keep windows running at full speed. Will take a little time and elbow grease to get it all clean. Should have cover plates back on in a week or so. No hurry since can’t see inside of fender without opening door and using a flashlight. Or taking flash photos.

While taking pics of right door I couldn’t miss looking at the Mouse Hair that Dave has been talking about. Took some pictures of inside of glove compartment door, front of instrument panel and top of dash. Lots of fuzz in and around glove compartment. Original and really black. Top of dash is completely bald and is dark grey. Has been since I got car in ’86. I hit it with Murphy’s Oil Soap twice a year and the color darkens back down and the white crust around the edges goes away. Been a while now and it is ready for another treatment. I don’t really mind the lack of fur since the texture looks like leather and the surface is non reflective. Not dead black but acceptable. The stitching is starting to go on the glove compartment door but looks good everywhere else. My carport protects things from overhead but car heads Southwest and the dash gets a couple hours of afternoon sun in the summertime. Nothing has faded much so far.

Be good to have Omgjon back and to see his Dino start to go back together. We are all going to have to wander down to San Diego and cheer him on as the big pieces are locked up. Should be an interesting Summer.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the private msg, I'm actually thinking of having Eddie do a re-spray om my car in its same color to freshen it up. The price seems great.