Dino Saga 070204 _ Alternate style | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070204 _ Alternate style

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070204 _ Alternate style

Said some words about form and function for a small Ferrari. Thought I might get some feedback but not a word. Occurred to me that perhaps I was preaching to the choir. Saw omgjon’s pictures of a 206sp (his favorite car of all time), then looked at all the pics of Cavalino weekend (napolis also understands), then got my issue of Road and Track and looked at the current crop of “super cars.” If R&T and stylists all over the world think those body shapes look good, God help us. We, Dino owners and lovers, know better. I shamelessly copied pictures from other Fchat sites to show you what I mean.

Start with the 206sp. Grandady of all the rear engine sports cars from Ferrari. Shape is an evolution of the Monzas and TRs. Once the engine was moved to the back the hood could go down as low as you wanted. Entry was about as clean as can be done. Cockpit area is sloped in all directions to minimize drag in all directions. Roll hoop and sail panels keep air moving smoothly. Rear is kicked up slightly and air intakes are both functional and visually exciting. Front and rear wings are effective and beautifully integrated. Same shape used on 330/412 p3/4. These cars are prominently featured in every book about Sports Cars. All time classics. Same folks who designed these racers designed our Dinos a few years later. You see it in every line.

I am sure that many of you have followed napolis and his odyssey with the p3/4s. He finally asked the question: “why can’t a modern Ferrari look that good?” Happened to have the wherewithal to have Pinin Farina and Ferrari build him a special to prove it was possible. The P4/5 came out and By George, it was possible. At least lots of folks seem to think so. Me too. The sides and rear are as voluptuous as anything done in the 50s-60s. My only complaint is the squared off nose opening. Rectangular shape does not go with rest of car. Now if they had just used the opening of 206sp or P3…

Napolis and omgjon both own and regularly drive multiple exotics. Both are intensely interested in the details that make a car very very special. Both put their time and their fortune into enjoying, celebrating and sharing the objects they choose as the finest. Ferrarichat is honored that they do a lot of their sharing on this site. I am an old retired engineer who agrees wholeheartedly with their choices and their philosophy. Don’t have their means or variety of auto experience but do have as much fun keeping my Dino up to snuff on a limited budget. All it takes is an unlimited amount of time and a great legacy of contacts who are willing to do the improbable just to see if it can be done. As you have seen from these Sagas, perseverance and the help of old friends make it all possible.

Finally waxed the car and set it on a patterned driveway yesterday afternoon. Looks just fine. Wish I had a 206Sp to put alongside it. Wish I had a garage for both of them. Oh well. Will just have to settle for a drive over the pass to see what is happening in Santa Ynez. Can get back in time for the game. Smiling loudly and ready to go.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login