Dino Saga 070128 _ A little more Shine | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070128 _ A little more Shine

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jan 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070128 _ A little more Shine

Paint is now cured. Time for final touch-up. Eddie agreed to remove all orange peel as part of the repaint deal. His guys got most everything but I’ve gotten picky in my old age. Have spent too much time cleaning up photos too. Playing with digital cameras and editors is a great learning experience. I didn’t expect a finish as good as that on Jon’s Dinos but wanted to come close. Big thing is to look at the reflections from the finish, not the finish itself. Top surfaces were fine. Sides below the crease still had orange peel as did the inner “sail” panels above the engine compartment. Eddie said “come in after skiing, should take about a day.” Took it in Monday, picked it up Tuesday evening. Right On!

The lower sides don’t count most of the time when the car is on a black road. Nothing to reflect. But put the car on pavers or any other kind of patterned roadway and there is no reflection with orange peel. Smooth the surface and the patterned reflections highlight the wonderful lines of the car. Amazing the difference in the overall impression of quality finishing. The inner sail panels normally reflect the sky or the engine cover so just look blah-blue with orange peel on clear coat. When smoothed you get detailed reflections of all kinds of things distorted in wonderful ways. Again, the lines are showcased.

I am tickled with Eddie’s work. On time, on budget, great follow up. Been working with him for good 12 years now. Two major repairs, couple of minor, two complete repaints. He runs a production shop, de-bump and touch up, accidents large and small. Hardly any plain vanilla re-paints. But if he likes a car, the skill and the care are there to do a great job. At a rational price.

Eddie Anderson, Owner
    Anderson Bro’s Auto Body and Paint
    5965 Daley St.
    Goleta, CA 93117
    805-967-1590

Took a few pictures at noon on Tuesday when sanding was done. Came back at 5 and polishing was finished. Looked great. Took a couple more pictures and drove on home. Next day it was beautifully clear so wiped car down and wandered around town looking for interesting backgrounds. Santa Barbara has lots. I particularly enjoy wandering along Miramonte Drive above the Mesa. Hit paydirt right away. The backsides of the view homes works pretty well. Nice afternoon sun and wild terrain add to the fun. Tried the beach area next but nothing quite clicked. Rode home and played with the editor a little. Yesterday we finally got the rain we have been waiting for since March. Couple of inches so far and the ground is soaking it up just fine. Had plenty of time to play some more. Got some nice shots. Enjoy.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This looks great and I'm shopping for a nice paint job on a driver Dino GTS. Stellar price, but was any glass or rubber removed for the paint? If not how are the edge areas where the paint ends and trim starts?

Sincerely,

Scott

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    No glass or rubber removed. 1/8" cord was run under rubber around windshield and rear window. Masking tape run over rubber and rubbed down. Left 1/16"-1/8" gap and paint got under OK. Pulled cord after 2 days and it took a couple of days for rubber to move back down. It was cold; would have gone aster if car was in heated garage or job done in Summer. Looks fine now. I will run a fine bead of black silicone RTV under edge. Just for insurance against possible leaks and rust. Did the same thing last re-paint.
    All trim was removed except chrome along bottom of door window. Lock also stayed. Masking was well done and I am happy with edges. I had them mask support angle above door where thin trim channel goes. Can't let paint build up or trim will not go back on. Old paint there was OK and no rust. Replaced all trim fasteners with new stainless. Looks good even though screw heads are all Phillips and some judge would have a fit.
    John

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a great secret trick on the gaskets!

Screw heads...LOL!

Looks great!

5. I am the great pretender

Dec 16, 2006
    John

The dino looks fantastic, I bet your absolutely thrilled with her.

Looking at your photo titled 'January in Santa Barbara' I was going to post a shot of 'January in England' but the grey skies, cold and rain would have depressed even the hardiest. Hope you enjoy the Dino, lovely colour.

Tim

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tim,

I could send my yellow one over. it'd brighten up the whole neighborhood!