125 ma Drain - Mondial Light Relay Question | FerrariChat

125 ma Drain - Mondial Light Relay Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Javelin276, Jul 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Hi guys,

When you turn ON the battery ground switch am I supposed to hear a relay close? The relay de-energizes and opens when I switch the battery switch to OFF. It's drawing about 125 milli-amps and it drains my battery down over about 4 or 5 days. It's done this since I bought the car.

The relay in question is the lighting relay to the left of the key-switched services relay on the bottom right. It's warm to the touch and I can see the current drop to mere 8 milli-amps when I remove the relay.

I've gone through the wiring diagram in detail and I can't figure out how the coil is grounded... Does anybody know where it goes?
    Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

2. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Well, it looks like I'm on my own with this one.

I dug through the electrical drawings again, and found that the relay in question is replaced by a "bridge" in the European version of the car. Mine is Canadian, and seems to be the same as the European version in most aspects. The drawing shows the relay as a jumper across the closed terminals, so I took the relay apart, clipped the wires to the coil, and used a plastic tie-wrap to permanently close the relay. It seems to work just fine, with no current drain through the coil. I'll test it tomorrow on the way to work and back.

My guess is, someone in the past replaced the Bridge with a relay and started the current drain problem.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
    Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Check the US OM 215/81 -- it shows that relay as "relay for seat belt buzzer", so if your seat belt buzzer (or ecu) is (has been) unplugged, it might not make much difference either way. What is/has been the status of your seat belt warning light & buzzer system operation and self-test? Did the behavior change with relay vs jumper?

Is it a specialized relay (i.e., not the usual ...113 or ...101)? If you have an emailable copy of the relevant Wiring Diagram page, I'd be glad to review -- let me know if you'd like a 2nd opinion.

4. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Thanks for the offer!

I have the current drain solved now, but messing with all the relays on the circuit board has now screwed up about half of what was previously working... Dang it.

The circuit board is a real pain. Now my slow speed wipers quit, the AC system quit, and the headlamps don't go up. I've got to check the radiator fans too, since the car hasn't gotten hot enough to turn them on since I started "fixing" the current drain. Time to start swapping relays in and out and checking the edge connectors again.
    Thor

5. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Dang, the Bridge didn't work... The lights won't go up and down without the right amount of current flowing through the relay coil to somewhere else. I replaced the coil with a larger resistor than the coil to lower the current flow, soldered the relay closed, and it still didn't work. Not enough current. It works with a relay in place, but not a bridge.
    Back to the drawings again...
    Thor

(Everything else is working again, though. Wiggle a relay here and there, tighten a connector or two.)

6. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    A bit off topic, but how do you pull a relay? I've tried with my hands and those suckers are in there tight. I didn't want to break anything. The Mondail fuse/realy box was flexing a bit. Do I need pliers or stronger hands? :)

Thanks,
    Patrick

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am following this thread closely - I think we are about to discover something very important here.

8. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Folks, I have a fuse/relay panel out of an '83 Mondian QV that I used to own. I can photograph the panel, all around, in high resolution. It might be of value to you to see this panel BEFORE you pull yours. I'm sure there are differences as the cars evolved and designs were tweaked for the different markets. This panel is from a Euro-spec car. Any interest? PM me if you'd like pictures because they will be pretty big files.

rick
    '79 308GTB

9. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    pmorin: I pull relays using pliers, but I'm very careful not to crunch the relay or over stress the circuit board by wiggling it too much. They're really hard to get out any other way.

snj5: Does your car have a similar problem? If this is common, we may be dealing with a design flaw they may have sorted out later. I don't have the correct prints for my Mondial-8, but I do have a set of drawings for a Mondial QV up on my website on the bottom of the first page if anyone wants to dig in. I haven't quite figured out how the coil for the relay in question gets to ground yet. It's not at all obvious.

www.JavelinArt.com

The QV drawings are not exactly like my Mondial-8, but it's been very close for almost everything except for the ventilation system. Does anyone have the prints for a Mondial-8? It would be helpful to compare them to a much later version of the car to see what changes they made.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I also have noticed a small amperage drain inherent to the design, over and above the radio. After time, the battery will drain just enough to cause the electrical system to act funny for no obvious reason, even with weird running, and somehow past a certain point the charging circuit never catches back up. I now keep a trickle charger on my car and find it very good inexpensive insurance. When I drove my car nearly everyday I did not have this problem, but if it sits for any length of time now it acts weird.

The the amperage drain can be located, I think many of the queer elecytical problems will resolve magically.

I am going to reference this thread to the Mondial Electrical system thread as well.

11. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    #11 Javelin276, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can some one run a quick check for me on their Mondial?

Turn off the battery disconnect, then turn it back on and listen for relays clicking on the car's circuit board. Do any relays click closed in your car like mine does?

If the answer is yes, then we have an inherent design flaw in the electrical system. The Light Lifting Relay is always energized when the car is turned off, draining the battery slowly. If not, then I've got some messed up wiring to figure out.
    Thor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Aug 1, 2006
    That's not the correct relay layout for a US version Mondial8 (relay T is "relay for seat belt buzzer" per 215/81). I would agree that it would be somewhat unusual for a relay to have its internal coil energized with the key "off" -- if you can get a copy of the relevant schematic page let me know.

13. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Yop, I noticed this in mine. When reconnecting the battery, I will hear some clicking for a little while. I have a Mondial 8 too but my fusebox was replaced about 12 years ago with a 3.2 fusebox.

Patrick

14. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Here's what Wolftalk wrote me in a PM: He's found the ground for the relay coil.

hi thor,

well, if it's a 113 (last three digits) relay, it's probably not the headlight one. If it's a 101 relay, then ok.

assuming it is the headlight relay, then it's coil ground is coming from light switch 79 on your schem. If you follow up from the other side of 79, you'll see a "to the 57". 57 is the oil temp gauge on figure 6, but that's not really the important part. What matters is that the N wire on the gauge daisy chains to a bunch of connectors and eventually shows that it's tied to ground.

I didn't see a "to the 79" note on figure 6. It looks like they blew it and labelled it incorrectly as "to the 78". At least 78 (turn signals) and 79 share a connector.

anyway, I'd say that switch 79 is closed. Question is, where is it? I assume it's part of the stalk assembly. Maybe check it via the shared connector with the turn signals.

I don't remember how the 308 or mondial light stalk works. Does it have three pivot positions as well as a rotating knob on the end?

15. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    having looked at more schematics for the "308 popups...dancing" thread, I think the only thing that is safe to say is that when the stalk is up all the way, and the knob is rotated off, no relays should be powered.

other than that, different things happen on different models when the knob is turned and/or the stalk is lowered.

don't assume that same/similarly named relays all connect/behave the same across all models/years of cars.

don't assume the schematic is correct, even if it's for the year/model of your car.

don't be surprised when things don't make sense. For example, on the '89 328, there is a "relay for throttle microswitch" on the exhaust ecu plate. When you look at the schematic, that relay has no connection to the throttle microswitch....but if you go back to the 308qv, it does. They changed the circuit, but didn't change the name of the relay.

16. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    I checked a few things last night, and the relay in my car is energized all the time, it doesn't switch off when the light stalk is turned off and is all the way up. Something's not right, the coil is still grounded and energized. The schematics are wrong and I'm going to have to remove the circuit board and trace wires, which won't happen for a couple of months. I'm taking the car on some long trips starting Saturday and I'm having a supercharger installed.
    Thor

17. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    #17 wolftalk, Aug 4, 2006
    it looks like the car is behaving like the 1989 328 schematic SAYS it should, but not how the 328 actually works. Attached are two simplified schematic chunks.

The 1987 mondial schematic is like the second schem, and is how my 328 works.

In this circuit design, when the "headlight lifting relay (lo beam on)" powers, it prevents other relays from closing...most notably, the relays that raise the lamp buckets....by disconnecting a ground path to other relay coils. This lets you turn on the parking and instrument lamps without the headlamps coming up.

The published 328 schematic says that the HLR(LBO) relay is powered whenever the stalk is in the top position. The actual circuit on the car requires the stalk to be in the top position AND the stalk knob to be turned on to power the HLR(LBO) relay coil.

If you turn off the stalk knob, and moving the stalk to different positions does something, you don't have the circuit as implemented on the second schematic.

if your stalk knob was stuck closed, I assume you'd see other symptoms...unless your circuit is yet a different design from the one below or the '80/'81/? 308 as shown on the schem at http://bingo.cdyn.com/ferrari/.

if your car is actually wired like the first schematic says, then it really is a design flaw and the best fix would be to rewire it like the second one. Whether you can do that at connectors under the dash, or you'd need to yank the steering wheel, I have no idea.

Another sorta fix would be to remove the relay and jumper pin 87a to pin 30 in the socket. That may be what you described earlier, but not sure. If you want the relay in place, you could disconnect the relay coil, but leave the relay plate alone (e.g. the plate needs to stay in the unpowered position, which connects 87a to 30). The only downside to this appears to be the headlights popping up if you turn the stalk knob when the stalk is in the top position.

Looking at the '87 mondial schematic again, that's what the bridge replacement for the relay does...but either they blew it and mislabelled the terminal as 87 instead of 87a, or they wired the relay socket differently (unlikely, assuming that odd circuit board kinda thing is what's connecting stuff inside the fuse/relay box).

guess we'll have to wait a while for the answer to this puzzle though...enjoy the drive :)

18. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    I don't know if this helps or confuses the situation but...

First, on my 1979 308 GTB the headlights will pop up on stalk rotation in all three positions. In the full up position this allows the parking lights to come on without the headlights.

Second, I had a current draw problem on my car when I bought it. It would drain the battery in about 4 days with the ignition switch off. I did the usual troubleshooting of disconnecting the ground lead from the battery and placing a test light between the battery and ground. I then pulled each fuse to determine the circuit with the short to ground. With all of the fuses sitting on my passenger side floor mat I still had a short to ground. A review of the wiring diagram showed that the only things that did not get power through the fuse blocks were the ignition and starter circuits. A friend told me that he had had a short in a Bosch ignition switch that had been a bear to find so I decided to look there first. Sure enough he was right. When I rotated the key in the switch slighty, the test light went out. I replaced the electrical portion of the switch and have not had a problem since.

19. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S

Just got back from vacation and saw this thread. I have an '82 Modial 8. I do not have any relays clicking when I switch on the battery disconnect. I also have not noticed any battery drain when leaving my battery connected for a week at a time.