Dino Saga 060806___Hangar Rash | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060806___Hangar Rash

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Aug 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Aug 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060806___Hangar Rash

Actually Parking Lot Rash. Would love to have my Dino in a garage but it has to earn its keep. If you use your Ferrari as a daily driver, you can minimize the risk but you have to live with it. Best if you have a paint color that is easy to match. I just went to OSH to pick up 6 cartons of pool chlorine and picked up a beaut of a ding in my right door. Damn!

The Dino is about 3.5” off the ground and has a lot of front and rear overhang. Top is about 43”, Your butt is about 7” and your eyes about 36”. You look up at everybody but Lotus 7s. Everybody looks down at you, or completely over you - missing the whole car in the process.

I have developed a few rules of parking that help immensely but not absolutely.

On Street Parallel Parking:
    Park on the flat
    Park just behind red curb, driveways
    Park toward the rear of the space.
    Park close to the curb
    Folks will back into you!

In Parking Lots and Structures:
    Park uphill (gravity helps stop the offending door)
    Park on left end space – to the left
    Park on right end space – to the right
    Park in full size but short spaces (where there is a tree or post)
    Folks will open doors into you!

Front overhang gets you in trouble coming down driveways, going over speed bumps and hitting front curbs. Front chin just oil cans, fans hit sheet metal, your passenger figures the car is going to blow up NOW! Boy what a noise. Switch off, noise stops, jump out, reach under bumper and pop chin back down, get back in car and think up a reasonable story to kill the hysteria. Black rubberized textured paint on bottom so no damage.

Trunk lid is another story. Bumpers do not go all the way across. If you accidentally bump into a stanchion, no matter how slow, the rear edge of the trunk lid will have a ding that is a ***** to get out. Never back up without a guaranteed clearance and a clear view.

Bottom line is that the car will need un-dinging every 5-10 years. If you are lucky, you will catch someone and their insurance will cover the whole panel that needs work. 2 years ago I got a free trunk lid repaint. Good match. I did not catch the fool that got me today and it is bad enough that I really should do something about it. Oh Well!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is that an antenna in the last pic?
    Never seen one like that...

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Sorry to hear about your new body modification John. As for your statement,
    "Folks will back into you", I have this to share.

I parked another low, small sportscar at Ralph's behind a HUGE SUV that was pointed nose out. I figure, how much easier can that be to just put her into DRIVE and go. I also noticed that the SUV was new, no plates. This will be an important bit of info later on.

When I came out, no SUV. But my car had it's nose rearranged! I was so pissed off that someone could be so stupid as to be incapable of putting the auto tranny into DRIVE. I went in to see the store manager to inquire about their surveillance cameras and possibly a tape with a clear shot of the SUV. When I finally tracked down the manager and we went outside, the HUGE SUV comes rolling up and a woman jumps out saying, "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!!! IT'S A BRAND NEW CAR!".

WTF???!!! So what if it's a brand new car. Is this your first day behind the wheel, you moron?! As far as I know, "D" still means DRIVE in all automatics that I've seen.

Anyways, her insurance covered the damage. But I'll never take any for granted. There are IDIOTS out there. BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID!

4. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Arghhh!
    That's a hell of a dimple. From the angle of your pic, it's hard to tell if the paint is damaged, or just scuffed. Is this possibly a candidate for one of the paintless dent removal guys? (I haven't pulled the door panels on my car, so don't know what kind of access there is with windows & lifts in place. Can you get in there with a dolly?) Maybe the driver's door could be massaged, too, especially if the panels are already pulled.
    I believe that you, and a number of fellow owners, have cautioned against conventional repairing/painting unless absolutely necessary. One thing leads to another....
    As with all of your priceless pointers, I look forward to reading about this fix in the next installment of The Saga.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sorry to see what happened.

I took a "tap" on one of my GTS door panels a while ago and was considering a paintless dent repair. However, I had the interior door panel off for another matter (see my exploding window thread) and while it was in the shop, the paintless dent repair person came by and looked at the inside of the outside door panel. He said that unfortunately, because of the apparent "rustproofing" (yah, sure) that left a rough surface on the inside of the panel, the panel could not be repaired by paintless dent repair.

Has anyone here heard of that kind of problem before? I'm still going to check with another paintless repair company . . . .

Mark